The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

How To Install a Shift Light in the dash of a 1G DSM - PART2

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1990TSIAWDTALON

Nov 14, 2013
Independence, Kansas
How To Install a Shift Light in the dash of a 1G DSM - Part 2 10/12/16

Continued from the article: "How To Install a Shift Light in the dash of a 1G DSM - PART1"
Here--->http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/how-to-install-a-shift-light-in-the-dash-of-a-1g-dsm-part1.506890/

Once you have your LED’s in place and the proper connections either made, or the LED wires poking out of the back, it is time to reassemble the bezel to the cluster of gauges. You just need to reassemble the bezel and lens to the cluster in the reverse order in which you took it apart, just a few screws is all. Make sure that the “Blue” High Beam indicator and the 2 “Green” Turn Signal indicator covers are in there correct spots before reassembly as they just “sit” in the cluster and are not glued in!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Once reassembled, it should look something like this:

If you have more than just the shift light installed into the cluster then you will need to run the wires for those indicator LED’s through the back of the dash BEFORE you reinstall it back into the car, giving yourself ample amounts of wire lengths to work with for your connections.
After you have it back in the dash it will look a lot like this

I hope you enjoyed this little article and that it was helpful. If you need any explanations that I haven’t covered, just PM me and I will help you out anytime!
Marty Wilson

Last edited:
Marty, nicely done! We're always glad to see mods that have a clean, organized look to them. This mod is great for keeping track of all those systems, without having to look around the dash for different lights.

Thank you for the pictures. They are clear and informative.

Thank you very much. I know it is very picture "heavy" but if you are personally "electronically challenged", you still should be able to do this mod since I took so many pictures. It was to benefit everybody. Now if I can get my plug and play writeup for installing my ARC2 box in a 1990, I will be satisfied. I put it all together on my living room floor (like the dash), changed all of the plugs to a '90 model, and by golly, it worked first try when I plugged it in. Of course, as with all of my articles, if there are ever any questions or something that needs added or changed, I am just a PM away. Thanks for taking the time to read through it!!! :thumb: :)

Man, I have a 98 Talon but havent pulled the cluster on it. Does anything say "tach" on the printed circuit? It only takes 12v, gnd, and a signal feed to run a tach. The 1g's were labeled. Maybe I can find it in my FSM. I can try to confirm it. Been a little busy but PM me and Remind my old ass. Lol

If you guys have dsmlink and available outputs just wire an led to the egr or fps.

Its just easier to connect + , - and tach to the printed circuit board since, on a 1g, all the connections are labeled and have a screw to connect to. No since in complicating it.

No they are not labelled on the 2g cluster. Is there a write up for using the egr solenoid? Can I just power the led to the cluster and wire the ground to the egr input at the ecu?

Last edited:
From my 1998 FSM

Thanks. So I wired the led ground to the egr input at the ecu and activated it through link. Only issue is the led output is poor. Either its not enough juice or the led is a pos.

What type of led and resistor size are you using? You can always wire the led direct to battery and ground to double check. Just dont use to large of an led with too much current draw.

Just the small 5mm led that comes with those ebay shift lights and 100ohm resistor. I fixed the issue, was just a poor connection to power. Its in and working great. I have it set through the egr input and can adjust it with link instead of the crappy ebay adjustment screw.

Attachments

• 0204181727a_HDR.jpg
    0204181727a_HDR.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 62
Nice! :)
Thanks for improving a mod!!!
Marty

I used DSM link and a little LED light bar on the steering column, 30 min install, looks clean and is bright enough to see during the day, a single light in the dash will not catch your eye. I even used OEM orange rubber condoms to help match the orange of the needles on the gauges.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back