The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

How do I tell if my timing belt tensioner is bad?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turbo_Joe

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 13, 2008
Washington, Indiana
If I'm holding it in my hand what can I do to check to see if it is working properly?

You can check to see if its cracking or anthing like that,other then that that's the only way to tell. If it has no cracks then you are good but if you do have cracks which usually means the belt is drying out and can break at any time.

i dont think hes talkin about the belt, he wants to know about the tensioner for the belt. well its kinda hard to tell when its in your hand. best thing to do is to just replace it there usually pretty cheap. but if you have it on the car and put it back with a new belt and it still whines then you know its bad. just make sure the whine isnt from your water pump or a/c pump

Look on top of it if it us oily on top its usually bad, if you have any doubt just replace it, its about 80 dollars, or spend hundreds on a valve job, and the gaskets. Trust me ive learned my lesson, so to save yourself worry just replace it.

If you're talking about the auto tensioner, any visible oil it's shot. Place in a vise and compress it but VERY VERY slowly - like 1/4 turn vise handle every 20 seconds. If you see any oil come out it's shot. Compress till granade pin hole lines up. Then release, pin should come out very slowly or it's shot. If get new one again compress it VERY VERY slowly to get granade holding pin in. Too fast and you will blow the oil seal and ruin it. If any doubt whatsoever replace it. More than 50000 miles replace it. And ONLY get factory one - NO AFTERMARKET or you can kiss your valves goodbye in about 5000-30000 miles. SPEND THE HIGHER PRICE FOR THE FACTORY ONE!!!!! NO SUBSTITUTES ON THIS!!!

BTW wanted to say I absolutely hate auto tensioners. The most retarded way of doing things. Its like they wanted things to fail.

I know I'm resurrecting a dead thread here but its probably best that you keep something like what I'm about to say visible to people.

BTW wanted to say I absolutely hate auto tensioners. The most retarded way of doing things. Its like they wanted things to fail.

The reason the factory uses auto tensioners is to compensate for belt stretch over time. Dont believe me? Run out and check the tension on your accessory belts. Odds are that if you haven't messed with them any time recently, they're gonna be a little looser than when you first put them on.

There's some solid tensioners on the market that some of you might have seen. They're ok to use but they require a little more maintenance than the hydraulic units. Kinda making sense as to why they're referred to as an "automatic tensioner" now, isn't it?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back