The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Help! 1g shifter cable

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbetts303

Probationary Member
Sep 13, 2017
Westminster, Colorado
Hey guys! Currently I'm driving a 91 eagle talon tsi AWD. The car has had an unknown amount of work done to it. From what I can tell it has mostly been internal work, pistons, cams, fuel injectors, and i believe the tranny has had work cause it looks like it has been resealed at some point. However, I do still believe that it is the 1g tranny, based on the pictures i have seen of the shift linkage.

Long story short is that my shift cable (the one that goes from first to second, and not side to side like switching between the 1&2 are to the 5&R) snapped. I bought a used one from another member but it turns out from what i can tell that it is the 2g shift cable, because it is about an inch and a half short and does not have the same actuation distance as the previous one. Does anyone have any experience on how to make a new one or where to find a replacement being as how they discontinued the manufacture of them? I've tried everything from searching up and down forums to junkyards to calling mopar for cable specifications and trying to find something. The picture below is the comparison between the old(red) and the new(blue) again from research i've done i believe the blue to be 2g cables. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1047.JPG
    IMG_1047.JPG
    233 KB · Views: 649
Thank you for that page! going to book mark that for sure. But doesn't look like they have any on their website, i'll have to call tomorrow and double check.

I'll definitely give them a call in the am! Nothing on that second site either. But thanks again for another awesome site to keep bookmarked!

However, I do still believe that it is the 1g tranny
99.99% chance you still have the 1g tranny. A little fun fact for you, the 1990 shifter cables are different than 91-94. If the PO swapped out the tranny and shifter base for a 90 you could be chasing your tail. Not saying this is the case but it is good for you to know, just in case. :thumb:

99.99% chance you still have the 1g tranny. A little fun fact for you, the 1990 shifter cables are different than 91-94. If the PO swapped out the tranny and shifter base for a 90 you could be chasing your tail. Not saying this is the case but it is good for you to know, just in case. :thumb:
from what i've gathered from the specs i'm praying that the cables i got were for a 2g cause they don't just have enough throw, but i do worry that it could be a 90 as well. how can i tell for sure?

but i do worry that it could be a 90 as well. how can i tell for sure?
To be honest I am not sure, I know you could run the tranny numbers but as far as the cables go I am not sure how to visually tell them apart. I have only owned one 90 in my life and it was more of a quick buy then sell to get my 92... Never dug into the 90 besides basic maintenance. @19Eclipse90 would know.

I wanted to confirm are the 91 talon and the galant gr4 the same shift cables?

I wanted to confirm are the 91 talon and the galant gr4 the same shift cables?

I'm almost positive that they are the same. The difference is in the 90 to 91. So as long as the transmission is not a 90 you should be fine. I actually have a set of cables in my basement from a 93. One of the cables is broken and the other is good. I'm not sure which cable is which though. If you can measure the one that you need and tell me how long it is I can see if the one I have would work for you.

This is what I did since its near impossible to find these cables anymore.

Cut one end of the shifter cable. Use a tap and die set to make some threads on the cable. Use a coupling nut to shorten or extend as needed.

Attachments

• IMG_1758.jpg
    IMG_1758.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 319
  • mHucYEYdRRUo_XuI4vYo6OQ.jpg
    mHucYEYdRRUo_XuI4vYo6OQ.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 221
This is what I did since its near impossible to find these cables anymore.

Cut one end of the shifter cable. Use a tap and die set to make some threads on the cable. Use a coupling nut to shorten or extend as needed.
You sir are my hero! I was wondering if anyone else had done something like that cause i was thinking about doing that but wasn't sure if it was going to work! Did you have to also extend the rod in the cab as well?

s the transmission is not a 90 you should be fine. I actually have a set of cables in my basement from a 93. One of the cables is broken and the other is good. I'm not sure which cable is which though. If you can measure the one that you need and tell me how long it is I can see if the one I have would work for you.
i think they are both the same size in terms of length one just has a longer throw on the actuation then the other, thats the one i need

i think they are both the same size in terms of length one just has a longer throw on the actuation then the other, thats the one i need

Is it the one with the adjustment on it that you need or the one with out it?

If they are both adjustable then it is likely that you have the 1990 style cables. They still used the old design of cables / shift brackets and levers in the early 91's. In that case the cable I have will not work. The one that you bought is probably a late 1991 and up cable. You could extend it like others have done or search for 1990 shift cables.

If they are both adjustable then it is likely that you have the 1990 style cables. They still used the old design of cables / shift brackets and levers in the early 91's. In that case the cable I have will not work. The one that you bought is probably a late 1991 and up cable. You could extend it like others have done or search for 1990 shift cables.
i found this where the guy compares the cables and my cables that i pulled out look more like the first two http://www.galantvr4.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=994337&Main=837884 the ones i got look more like the third set.

I only reduced the throw at the shifter side. Shifts like butter.
i think i see what you mean. when i first tried making the shorter cables work i was trying to extend the throw at the shifter. but i noticed that i had plenty of play in first but it didn't reach second. so i need to do the opposite extend the throw under the hood and reduce at the shifter?

You have to pay attention to the position of the levers on both the mounting base on the trans as well as the shifter. Make sure they are centered. May take some time but will btw worthwhile.
about how far back did you cut your shifter cable?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back