The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

First gear problem - How to fix it ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heryst78

Proven Member
Feb 9, 2017
Paris, Europe
Hi guys,

I’ve got a problem with my GST.
It’s a 1997 engine manual.

The problem is when I want to drive, i take the first gear on but it jumps, and once of two it goes to neutral automaticly.
The others gears doesn’t jump, just the first.

Is there an adjustement to do at the clutch ?
Clutch is new, bearings too

Sorry for my english i’m from France

Was this a problem before you replaced the clutch as well?

This sounds more like an internal problem, such as worn out intermediate shaft bearings with excessive bearing end play causing problems with the pop out of gear to neutral. This will lead to other worn out parts, such as the 1st/2nd hub and slider assembly, synchro replacement, potentially gear replacement and shift fork replacement.

Hi guys :)

Thanks for reply :)

I think the problem comes from my shifter
The axe which goes to the right and to the left looks to be dead
If i force a little on the left, the first gear is smooth, but 5 jumps

Is it a Classic problem ?

Difficult to understand your translation
Can you please clarify.

I’ll make a best reply tomorrow with Google translate :)

If you have not thoroughly inspected your shifter assembly, shift cables and shift cable bracketry, and your engine / transmission mount bushings, I would look there first. If all of those things are in good shape, then it would be an internal issue with the gearbox.

Take out the center console and lower console side panels to gain access to the shifter assembly to check everything out.

If I recall, you will need to remove the radio bezel, the cup holder (pull it out), then gain access to the several screws retaining the console in place, remove the shift knob, then remove the side lower panels, and remove the electrical wiring clips for the cigarette lighter, and the illumination bulb by the cup holder (twist out). Once the center console is gently removed along with the lower console panels, you will have complete access to the shifter assembly and shifter base to take a very close look at everything and see if you have a problem there, or if there are other problems that are in the engine bay area (motor / transmission mount bushings, or shift cables, or shift cable bracketry, etc).

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back