The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

evo 8/9 struts and springs on 1g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awdcsm

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 15, 2008
Edmondton, AB_Canada
iam planning on installing some evo 8/9 struts and springs on my 1g here to get a decent and comfy 1" drop, does anyone have any pics of a 1g with them installed?

I would contact robispec on this one. I forget who i talked to but I am going to Robispec in a few months for my coilovers, and they will be EVO 8 coilovers fabricated for the DSM. They just finished the R&D at say they are working great. for a one inch drop that handles well, Megan racing or KSports can do it.

Seems like few have done it but I've only heard good things. I'm sure many have done it, they just don't all tell us.
Stock evo gear might be cheaper to aquire than the Ksports?

The evo 4-9 (non-MR) front and rear struts/springs are transferrable to 1G DSM's with a bit of modification. Here are the links to put something together, as it is straight-forward.

To use the Evo 8 front struts and springs in a 1G AWD, you would just need to swap the upper rubber and upper mount, and make 1/8" spacer with some larger bolts and hardened washers. The bolt holes on the Evo strut are larger and will give a bit of camber adjustment depending on how you mount them to the spindle.

It is not hard. There are several write-ups over on Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Forum - E39A 4G63. Just do a google search for "evo strut install GVR4"

Here is a link that shows the install fab work for the rear struts as well:
http://www.galantvr4.org/ubbthreads...1&Number=219983&PHPSESSID=&fpart=1#Post219983

You need to chop off the 1G lower mount on the strut, then chop and fit in the round section into the U-shaped lower mount of the Evo 8 rear strut, then weld into place. The 1G upper rubber and 1G DSM upper mount is also swapped.

The fronts are the easiest install portion of the swap to Evo struts. The piston diameter on the Evo struts are substantially larger, and there are numerous options for lowering springs.

Here is some cute technical babble regarding OEM spring rates on 1G and GVR4 struts/springs: Suspension Data

Here is another link with more information:
http://www.galantvr4.org/ubbthreads...1&Number=306610&PHPSESSID=&fpart=1#Post306610

I did this on my GVR4 around 2-3 years ago with Evo 8 struts that I sourced for less than $100 off a super-low mileage Evo.

I kept the stock Evo springs on it because I actually wanted my car higher off the ground near stock ride height. They worked out perfect.

The piston diameter is substantially larger on both front and rear struts vs. the 1G AWD and GVR4, and it is quite a bit stiffer allowing much nicer handling.

I chopped off around half of the Evo rear lower mount and then welded on the rear lower 1G/GVR4 mounts with a 3/8" spacer between the evo strut lower and the 1G/GVR4 lower mount.

The fronts were installed with a spacer plate ~1/8" thick -- 1 per side on the rear of the strut mount. The Evo bolt holes are a bit larger than the 1G/GVR4 spindle mount, and I was able to get a nice even camber by using longer bolts with hardened washers and good metal lock nuts by pressing inward on the spindle while installing the fasteners. Camber was around 0-1* negative, caster was near stock levels, and toe was near 0*.

It took me a day to do, and I was very happy with the results.

Here is my GVR4 on them with the stock Evo springs:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Nice to know. Is it not possible to use the bilstein suspension from the mr?

Check out Tunersnation.com Garfield makes the conversion kits for out cars... the MR suspension is the essentially the same besides it being a better quality strut if I'm not mistaken.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back