The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Earl Scheib. Yes or no?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trapspeed

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 16, 2004
Sacramento, California
I'm sick of my red. I've been pulled over five times in the past 3-4 months and I think it's cause my car stands out. I don't look like a criminal. :p

Anywho. I checked out this Earl Scheib place... Seems decent. They have a Pro2 Special Package normally almost 500 bucks but they have a special going on and it's $299 right now. I always wanted to have a black 2g and I think now's the time. They seem professional and all and offer a 1year warranty. What do you guys think?

And if it chips or fades after the 1 year warranty is over I wouldn't really mind paying another 200 to get it painted.

if all you have is 299, and have to have your car painted then it might be ok. they take a lot of shortcuts as far as body work goes. as well as masking. you can be assured that there will be overspray on things like window seals, etc.

coolwhip said:
if all you have is 299, and have to have your car painted then it might be ok. they take a lot of shortcuts as far as body work goes. as well as masking. you can be assured that there will be overspray on things like window seals, etc.

I'm not too worried about a little overspray on seals and stuff. But can they get away with major stuff? I mean they seem professional and all.

I doubt that price includes jambs, door insides, and engine compartment.

i would think about it before you do it. the quality wont be nearly as good as factory or a "real" paintjob.

IMMORTALSPYDER said:
I doubt that price includes jambs, door insides, and engine compartment.

Jambs are 50 bucks each. I plan on doing the jambs, door insides, and engine compartment myself.

f4st said:
i would think about it before you do it. the quality wont be nearly as good as factory or a "real" paintjob.

Have you seen any pics of cars with a bad paintjob from Scheib? If so, can I check them out?

You really need to check out the work that particular shop has done. It's not a matter of the name nor the chain nor (entirely) the price.

Oh.... and the paintjob's not gonna get you stopped any less. That problem's hanging off your right ankle. However, I do think you may qualify -and I'll have to check the archives on this- for the dumbest reason to paint a car I've ever heard of.

The locals know your plate, and they know you. And they know you're good for an easy stop to fill out on their daily activity log. :rolleyes:

I know earl scheib has some pearl painjob package as well, but they still spray over your original paint. You have to remember places like earl scheib and maaco are mainly for cheap collision repair. I remember seeing a post not too long ago about someone who had their car painted by earl scheib, you might want to search for it. Ive seen a couple of maacos and earl scheibs lower end paint packages because i deal with used cars, but they are cheaper cars and it is just to make the car look decent.

Defiant said:
You really need to check out the work that particular shop has done. It's not a matter of the name nor the chain nor (entirely) the price.

Oh.... and the paintjob's not gonna get you stopped any less. That problem's hanging off your right ankle. However, I do think you may qualify -and I'll have to check the archives on this- for the dumbest reason to paint a car I've ever heard of.

The locals know your plate, and they know you. And they know you're good for an easy stop to fill out on their daily activity log. :rolleyes:

Please don't think I am painting my car, solely, for that reason. I'm just sick of red. I've always loved black 2gs. Which is primarily the reason I'm going to paint it. And one of those times I got pulled over was for speeding.

And I don't think it's really worthing paying $1500+ on a paintjob unless you plan on entering your car in shows.

Well hey, you might love the paint job you get there im not trying to discourage you. They will probably try to nickel and dime you to death on the full color change. I would keep in touch with the shop and see the cars that come out that are getting the same job youre thinking about because thats the only way you will be able to tell because pictures wont show you the truth anyway.

f4st said:
Well hey, you might love the paint job you get there im not trying to discourage you. They will probably try to nickel and dime you to death on the full color change. I would keep in touch with the shop and see the cars that come out that are getting the same job youre thinking about because thats the only way you will be able to tell because pictures wont show you the truth anyway.

Yea, I plan to check out some of the cars they've finished there. Thanks for all the help everyone. Looks like I'm booked to bring it in at 8am tomorrow. :)

I had a previous vehicle painted by Earl Scheib, '89 pathfinder (yuck) :barf: :barf:

Overall, I was pleased with the quality of the job. I didnt get the clearcoat option, and it still looked good with lots of shine. I had the truck for about a year after, and really didnt have any chips at all. I also had my hood fixed/bondoed/primered because it was REALLY messed up, and after one year of Arizona Sun and wear and tear, parking outside, it looked flawless.

Something that I did notice was very minimal "texturing" where the paint was less then flat in some areas. I think the actual name is related to a orange peel? :rolleyes: maybe someone more expierenced then I can explain it better then I can.

Later I found out that you can wetsand the paint before it cures to get rid of this, and have heard of people doing this to great results. I didn't because I didn't know at the time.

Of course its not going to be factory perfect, but the biggest problem is you will probably find some red somewhere on your car afterwards. Its much easier with a complete job if it is close to your original paint because errors won't stand out. But this isnt want your looking for. I changed my color also from light grey to black, and I didnt see much if at all, and I was told that I was lucky.

There WILL be some minor overspray, usually you can get if off though if its on trim or whatnot.
GL bro,

Rak99NT said:
I had a previous vehicle painted by Earl Scheib, '89 pathfinder (yuck) :barf: :barf:

Overall, I was pleased with the quality of the job. I didnt get the clearcoat option, and it still looked good with lots of shine. I had the truck for about a year after, and really didnt have any chips at all. I also had my hood fixed/bondoed/primered because it was REALLY messed up, and after one year of Arizona Sun and wear and tear, parking outside, it looked flawless.

Something that I did notice was very minimal "texturing" where the paint was less then flat in some areas. I think the actual name is related to a orange peel? :rolleyes: maybe someone more expierenced then I can explain it better then I can.

Later I found out that you can wetsand the paint before it cures to get rid of this, and have heard of people doing this to great results. I didn't because I didn't know at the time.

Of course its not going to be factory perfect, but the biggest problem is you will probably find some red somewhere on your car afterwards. Its much easier with a complete job if it is close to your original paint because errors won't stand out. But this isnt want your looking for. I changed my color also from light grey to black, and I didnt see much if at all, and I was told that I was lucky.

There WILL be some minor overspray, usually you can get if off though if its on trim or whatnot.
GL bro,

Thanks alot, bro.

Do the prep work yourself, check out the shops work, and go from there. Its the prep work that makes the paint job. Anybody w/ some sort of knowledge can paint a car, its the effort put into the prep and after paint that makes the paint job.

I had my last car painted there twice. Like others have said, you will have overspray but it should be too bad. And there most likely will be some slight imperfections. My paint had some slight run at the very bottom of the edcge of the car. Not noticeable unless you got on the ground right next to it.

Overall the paint was pretty damn glossy, and seemed to hold up pretty well.

They filled some holes for me and removed some rust, that didnt turn out so great, it was just not completely smooth over the area.

Here's some pics of my car with the paintjob. These were taken about a two years after the last paintjob. http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/530067

The reaosn I had two paintjobs is I had a luggage rack removed, and the holes for that filled, and also I had a few cracks in the paint. The second time around it came out much better and I had NO problems with it.

Well guys I am dropping my car off to get painted tomorrow, and yea Im Earl Scheibing it. The car isnt in that bad of the shape but it is thirteen years old now and has some minor door dings and wear an tare, I have worked all these out myself just becasue I know they wouldnt put the time and effort into it that I would. I have spent the past couple weeks getting everything perfect and im finally satisified with it. I am paying for the "platinum package" which is the most expensive package and comes with 1 coat of primer, 3 coats of paint and 2 coats of clear and yea it's better prep to but I dont trust there prep anyway. Well im really excited to get it done and am hoping for the best Im going to the shop in Anaheim CA So I'll post pictures as soon as I get the car back. Wish me luck I guess.

Black overspray on black window seals.. Cant be THAT bad right? Haha maybe you should have just did the 50 dollar paintjob yourself.. its actually not that hard if you have any kind of experience.. overall.. good luck on the paint job man. I have seen some pretty nice cheap paint jobs so it all depends on luck I suppose haha. Show us some pics when its all said and done. The appearance forum has been lacking project pics lately!

if you get your car painted there, it probably wont come out too bad. You might have some orange peel and some overspray. Over spray will come off of most things with a razor blade very carefully. And if you wait one month you can find someone who can wet sand and buff and your car will look even better. If your not going for the show car look, you may get away with a scheib or maaco job.

My advice is to sand it down yourself first. I say this because I got the platinum paint job as well about a year ago and its starting to chip in some places, and the paint underneath is the same color as my old paint job, its not even smooth. But I got mine done at the earl scheib in santa ana.

I had my parent's Corolla painted at earl scheib after a couple of years the paint went to sh!t. Well its night now I will try to get some pics in.

If you do the prep work yourself then you shouldn't have any problems with the paint, I did the prep work for my mom's truck and we had it repainted by them, now nearly 6 years later it still looks ok, no bubbles, chips or orange peel.

Well I got a call from the manager of earl scheib today, very nice guy by the way, But basicly they told me they had completley and horribly messed up my paint job. They dont know how it happend but the car is coverd in "fish eyes" (looks like small dimples all over the car) Its dark here so I will take pics and post them in the morning. They told me they wanted to keep the car for a few more days, let it dry then sand it and spray it again. I told them I needed the car which I do but mainly I want to give it more then a couple of days to dry, and told them I will bring it back in two weeks. Now for the PLUS SIDE. I get more prep time, there are two spots on the car that need to be sanded a little better that slightly show through the paint. But the paint on the car, minus the imperfections looks GOOOD :thumb: the black is very nice and the clear coat is a really really nice clear coat. Also I have Black rims with the chrome trim and I asked him If I mask the rims off my self will he hit the rims with a fresh coat of paint, and he said no problem. Which is cool becasue they will match the car perfectly. Also I paid $200 for some body work I had done on the roof which was done and looks flawless. Il post before and after pics of the roof as well tomorow morning.

I had my last car painted at Maaco. I did all the prep work myself (remove all trim, lights, and anything I didn't want overspray on). The paint job came out really good and I always got compliments on it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back