The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Crank Timing Correct?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artago

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 30, 2006
North Vancouver, BC_Canada
Cam gears are in line. Is the crank correct or am I a tooth off? Not sure if the mark goes at the front or end of the notch.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Have you turned the engine by hand a few times to see if it gets any better?

Turned 10 times. Waited 10 minutes. Turned 10 times again. Waited 24 hours. Turned again. Cranked. Checked.

Is that the correct position for the crank? or am I off?

If you're being picky and have it all pulled apart you could probably rotate it CW another 1/8" but, then again, it could just be the angle of the photo too. Here's the best photo I could find of mine before I pulled off the sprocket to do my BS belt a few years ago.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

It's aligned. You may be slightly off lining up due to surfacing of the block or head, or using a different thickness gasket, which you'll only be able to make up for with adjustable cam gears. You can only change it by one tooth with the stock non-adjustable cam gears/crank sprocket, you cannot adjust it increments of a tooth.

It's aligned. You may be slightly off lining up due to surfacing of the block or head, or using a different thickness gasket, which you'll only be able to make up for with adjustable cam gears. You can only change it by one tooth with the stock non-adjustable cam gears/crank sprocket, you cannot adjust it increments of a tooth.

If it's off slightly, would that be a big problem that would cause the engine to run like crap? I'm not looking to race this car, I just need it to run.

You said 10 times but the actual line up is only 6 rotations to make sure ALL timing marks line up, so every 6 rotations is when its best to check all markings from cams to crank,

No. Mechanical timing is what it is if you're running a '95-'99 CAS, it should be 5* BTDC if you check it with a timing light when you ground the timing connector through the "Misc" tab.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back