The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Best way to pull engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GSLENK

10+ Year Contributor
May 25, 2011
DC, Maryland
1gb AWD. Has power steering and AC.

I was thinking:
Pull engine and trans together. unbolt the AC compressor. Unbolt the PS pump. Leave lines attached. pull engine.

OR

Remove/drain AC/PS lines, pick out engine/trans with all accessories attached.

Anyone have a preference? It looks like a tight fit so doing the first method seems like it will scratch the hell out of the engine bay.

I do it the way Donnie says every time. Works great.

Edit: I use a load leveler, which makes the job fast and easy. The trans end of the motor goes in first and comes out last like so:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
I don't know the way you will do it but I always removed mine with trans and by dropping it under the car instead lifting it by the top. I find this method easier but that's just me.

it would be much easier to do from the bottom, but many of us dont have a lift.
i also use this method. i pull the t case first too.

it would be much easier to do from the bottom, but many of us dont have a lift.
i also use this method. i pull the t case first too.

Out of curiosity, how do you get an entire long block back into the car from the underside without a lift?

Going to Harbor freight. Gonna get the 2 ton lift for $180 (on sale from 300). Has 1 foot more lift than the 1 ton (or is that a waste if the 1 ton is $140?). Plus the leveler. Should keep life pretty easy.

Pulling the AC comp off was easier than I initially though. Looked like one bolt would be a PITA.

And a $50 engine stand. (750 lb, thats enough right?)
or should I spend $15 more and get the 1000lb?

Going to Harbor freight. Gonna get the 2 ton lift for $180 (on sale from 300). Has 1 foot more lift than the 1 ton (or is that a waste if the 1 ton is $140?). Plus the leveler. Should keep life pretty easy.

Pulling the AC comp off was easier than I initially though. Looked like one bolt would be a PITA.

I recommend the fordable cherry picker and engine stand. As Brett said, the leveler is a must. You may need to go to the hardware store for extra chain/bolts to attach the leveler to the engine. Don't forget about using the 20% off coupons as well. Use them for a separate transaction as they will only let you use one at a time. Once you pull the engine, you will need to go back to the hardware store for bolts and washers to mount the engine onto the stand. The washers act like spacers.

I have the 1 ton HF crane, it works great. I've pulled over half a dozen engines with that thing, so I can say from experience it's legit. I also have a few of the cheap $50 engine stands, they work great as well.

I have 3 of those foldable cranes sitting in my garage right now if you weren't so far away I'd GIVE you one just to make room here and help you out. LOL

I do mine like donnie and gst. Unbolt the A/C and PS and leave them in the bay. Here is mine i just did last Sunday. Unbolt the alternator too but I take off the waterpump pulleys and the crank pulley to give it clearance. If you do that, loosen the waterpump pulley bolts FIRST! FYI

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

10mm x 1.25 x 80mm with washers on the top 2 as spacers. At least thats what I am using on my stand right now. Good grade, no cheap bolts.

Out of curiosity, how do you get an entire long block back into the car from the underside without a lift?
i have an engine crane! as anybody does. what i meant was a lift as in a car lift. if you had a proper lift like a mechanic shop does, itd be best to drop the engine, lift the car

I personally removed and install from the bottom. Put car on jack stands, unhook everything (can unbolt p/s and a/c and set aside, but would be easier to drain and remove completely) and drop engine/trans onto wheeled dolly. Unhook cherry picker, attach to car body with chain and bolts through motor mount holes, lift car, wheel engine/trans out and set car back on stands.
voila

I pulled it from up top. Had a helper. Was not bad at all. Got free of all the motor mounts, removed the trans bracket for easy clearance. then it was up a few inches at a time, re-level, more inches, careful of the PS and AC, then a few more inches and re-level, it was out. I had alternators/starters/AC comps, that were harder to remove. No voodoo magical way out. Just a heavy ass engine and thats what the crane is for.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back