The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Axle clip stuck in trans?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GSLENK

10+ Year Contributor
May 25, 2011
DC, Maryland
TL;DR -- I suspect there is a transaxle retainer circlip stuck in the female part of my trans and it is preventing the new axle from snapping into place. Is this possible and is it easy to remove/fish out? This is for the passenger side axle in a 1gb AWD 5-speed DSM.

More story:
I swapped axles recently and drove the car a bit then a few days later a little trans oil was in my parking spot. The leak was from the CV axle seal. I checked and the axle was able to slide around so I figured I must not have pounded it in hard enough to get it to clip in. Took off the wheel and tried to pound it again. No dice still slides out a little. I pounded pretty damn hard too, Hope I didn't mess anything up. Is it possible to press the axle in too far by the way?

Frustrated, I put it back together and called it a night. Then I thought, maybe the old clip never came out and is messing me up. Sure enough, the removed old OEM axle clip is not on the old OEM axle that was replaced. I know it had a clip before because I had to really pry to get it out of the trans. So has this happened to anyone? Is a clip easy to get out of the trans? (is there another groove where the axle slides into for the clip to catch or is it floating around in there?)

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back