The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

AWD Conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maximage

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 24, 2003
WisconsinUS
I tried search and didnt really come up with s olid answer to this. I'm thinking it should work fine, but let's hear some opinions....

Here's the deal, I have a 90 Laser RS Turbo. Car is in PERFECT shape. It's a great start, and I already had some nice mods. Timing belt went, and took out the engine..

I find a 91 Talon TSI with 75K on the clok, a brand new head, t-belt, the works. Munched the trans. case. Now, I would fix this one up, but the body is beat, and being never washed and a daily driver in Wisconsin, the floor pans have some issues. BUT, the AWD system, minus the t-case, is in good shape. I can get a t-case and tranny assembly cheap from a local bone yard I frequent.

How hard should it be to convert the Laser to AWD? It's already a 5-speed, and so is the Talon. I would think everything would just bolt in, since they were built on the same chassis? I'm already tearing down both cars, since I want the gfx and wing on the Laser, and my wife wants to paint it a different color.

Let me know guys! Thanks!

Try searching again. It's out there. I know the 1gs awd conversion is no where as simple as the 2g awd conversion. The older AWD Conversion thread said RRE used to charge 7-10 thousand dollors to do the swap on a 1g so that should give you an idea to what you're looking at. Good luck

I was just thinking with a complete part car(drove it home, yanked out engine), I would at least have all the parts needed. I know it is going to take forever, but the car is getting pulled apart to the bare chassis anyhow.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back