The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

95 gst. cranks but wont start!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95jdmgst

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 1, 2008
phoenix, Arizona
just as the post states. it cranks but wont start.

i ran into the problem today around noon. i was tightening my fuel rail down and a bold snapped off an the secondd to the right. it fell all the way down in my engine bay. got that screw out and went to start her up and nothing it cranks and tries to start but nothing. i pulled my spark plugs they where black cleaned them a lil put them back in but nothin there is spark i can smell fuel when i pulled the plugs out. and i did a compression test last week 155-155-155-155. can anyone help.

cough 6 BOLT cough it could just be a bad cam angle or crank sensor. i mean it sounds like what ## explaining its out of time if it trys to start and almost does but it would shall i say cough if u know what i mean and just sound weird if it was out of time. u got spark fuel and compression is good. it just sounds like some sensor maybe the its the ECU thrown a bad code for some reason. sounds like a dumb question but is it a manual or auto. Just advice if ya dont figure it out even if it is an auto 6 bolt the B#### and get it over with you can get the flex plate for the auto off IPT Performance Transmissions Torque Converters and Transmission Parts for Ford, GM, Chrysler, and Import vehicles i run it in my auto and it works great had no problems. Id check the ECU though it is possible its thrown a bad code or somthing.

i will have to check that out. i already have a 6 bolt. just swapped this motor in because of bent valves and i had to put it threw emissions. i just dont have the scrill to re-build the 6 bolt at the moment. i just got a new cam sensor and crank sensor but it just makes a sparking noise now no crank.

Check all your fuses, and make sure that they are alright. Then go back to where you fished out that bolt you broke and check and see if you didn't break your knock sensor or unplug it. Or anything else. Then proceed with testing your crank angle sensor and cam sensor.

Check the voltages at both the Crank and Cam Position Sensors. Unplug the sensors, turn the key on and check the voltages, the Red wires at both sensors is the power supply and should have battery voltage present, the grounds are the Black wires at both sensors. The Light Blue/White (CKP) and the Light Blue/Red (CMP) are the signal wires for the sensors and should have about 5 volts.

Try unplugging the speed sensor on the transmission and you crank sensor while testing your cam sensor, thats only if you don't have power to the cam sens. :tease: Testing these are no fun, good luck. I'm betting on the cam sensor being the culprit....

Actually if you have a good multimeter and a wiring diagram you should be able to rule out both of the sensors within a half an hour. If you have the information and tools its really an easy job. I will see if I can find a wiring diagram for you.

pull your cas off and leave ## car in the on position and turn the cas with ## hand and listen for the injectors to squirt fuel and ## spark plugs to spark

Belt smoking would have been alternator working hard to recharge battery more then likely. Are you getting spark to all four plugs? How is fuel prussure? Can you chase the bolt and see if it jiggled something loose? Is starter still cranking engine over fine?

Having the same problem, thought it might have been the fuel pump. So i replaced it with a Walbro. Car still cranks but not all the way over. I replaced Coolant Temp Sensor, TPS, MAP sensor, and Oxygen sensor. Very well could be the ecu going out i guess. BUT we are looking for an easier and cheaper fix ROFL

ha i did all of those things to and yea a cheaper fix would be awsome. well just got the starter and alternator back and there bothe good. put on the new crank sensor. but still nothing. im having c_riggan come out today and this other dsm tuner/builder who i baught my engine from and who helped put it in hopefully we will find out why its not evan cranking now.

No solution yet? Kind of getting tired of having my MOM drop me off for class. Recharged the batteries, checked the fuses. Its a damn shame the car has to run a bit before i can check the codes with my datalogger :cry:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back