The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

'91 TSI AWD 75k mile time capsule

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Obvious

Probationary Member
Mar 25, 2024
Gig Harbor, Washington
In high school (late 1990s), a friend in the grade above me had a red '91 Talon TSi. He let me take it for a spin one day (even though I didn't have my license yet) and I fell in love. That was the moment I became a car nerd, and cars have been my main passion ever since.

A couple years later, I ended up with a '95 GS-T that I then modified pretty heavily (for the time) with a big 16G with external wastegate, ACT 2600 clutch, front mount, etc. I sold it during college because it was getting beat up from street parking and always told myself I'd have another DSM some day.

Well, 20+ years later it's "some day" because I stumbled upon a really clean 1G that I just couldn't pass up. It's a '91 TSi AWD with 75,000 original miles(!) and it's pretty much all original and unmodified.

The original owner bought it new and parked it in 2011. The second owner bought it about two years ago and did a bunch of maintenance to it then decided to move on from DSMs, which is how I ended up with it.

Items taken care of in the last year or two:
  • Timing belt, water pump, balance shaft delete with all OEM parts
  • All new fluids
  • New tires
  • New clutch (Southbend Kevlar) with ACT flywheel with new OEM throwout bearing, slave/master cylinders
  • Jacks built transmission with TMZ 4-spider cross shaft
    • The original transmission from this car was send to TMZ for a rebuild but got destroyed in the fire last year. He ended buying the transmission that's now in the car from someone here on DSMTuners.
He also gave me a mountain of spare parts; I needed a trailer to take everything home. It's mostly OEM parts from other DSMs he'd owned over the years and I likely won't need most of them, so I'll probably sell off a lot of stuff once I've had a chance to sort through them all.

Overall, the car is super nice. Mechanically, it's about as perfect as a 30+ year old car can be. The paint it hammered, but the body is really straight and everything is there. The interior is very nice as well, except the front seats are pretty trashed.

My plan with the car is to restore it back to its former glory and do some period-correct bolt on mods. I'm going to do my best to restrain myself on this one since it's so original.

The car came with the following parts that I plan to utilize:
  • Freshly rebuilt small 16G from Justin Whitesell
  • 850cc injectors from FIC
  • Dejon SMIC with piping
  • Megan Racing aluminum radiator with slim fans
So, I think I got myself a pretty good start for a project. :D

Right now, I'm just browsing a lot of build threads on here trying to re-learn everything I've forgotten about these cars over the years, and trying to learn all the new ways of doing things. A lot has changed since the days of "tuning" by using a Super AFC to correct for larger fuel injectors and doing data logging with a Palm Pilot... LOL

Last edited:
And of course, some pictures.

53610760254_b63c9d5af2_b.jpg

53610637393_3c9dd0e868_b.jpg

53610421896_7e2fb66258_b.jpg

53610760054_7218be3f52_b.jpg

53609547077_d4e7b531c2_b.jpg

53610760119_033ab38ae3_b.jpg

Tucked in for the night with its roommate.

53610875390_7379504def_b.jpg

Haven't done much with the Talon yet, I need to catch up on some maintenance on my other cars and I have a few projects I need to finish around the house before I tear into something new.

I have been collecting some parts though.

53705949081_ff84750d45_b.jpg

"I will not let this snowball. I will not let this snowball. I will not let this snowball..."

Looks good. I like the paint the way it is. This way you won’t be afraid to drive it. A lot of them looked like that 20 years ago anyways. Try to keep it mostly stock. They are a handful to keep running well even in stock form. The more modified they are the more time you spend working on them and less time enjoying it!

Not really crazy about the fixed back racing seats in a street car either, but thankfully it's your vehicle so you do you. I like the OEM ones, especially the leather models, way better for cruising on the street.

Nice find. Looks like a great project.

My only advice is to keep the oem fans if possible. The OEM units generally outflow the aftermarket fans

There’s no generally. The oem fans DOMINATE almost every aftermarket option that fits. A single oem cooling fan will outflow two slim fans. Lol.

Not really crazy about the fixed back racing seats in a street car either, but thankfully it's your vehicle so you do you. I like the OEM ones, especially the leather models, way better for cruising on the street.
I'd prefer OEM seats too, but I'm 6'4" and don't fit in the car unless I recline the seats well past the point of comfort. I've never had fixed back seats before so I'm going to try these out and see how I like them. It's easy to go back or swap to a different seat if I hate them.
My only advice is to keep the oem fans if possible. The OEM units generally outflow the aftermarket fans
Thanks for the heads-up. I'll swap the factory fans over to this when I install it.
Looks nice!
Were the 1st and 2nd owners in Western Washington?
If so it probably doesn't have much rust, right?
Has spent it's whole life in Washington, zero rust anywhere besides the normal surface rust on some of the suspension components and on the wiper cowl, which are always rusty it seems.

Haven't done much with the Talon yet, I need to catch up on some maintenance on my other cars and I have a few projects I need to finish around the house before I tear into something new.

I have been collecting some parts though.

View attachment 730944

"I will not let this snowball. I will not let this snowball. I will not let this snowball..."
Not a bad way to spend $10,000

That garage is interesting. Is that like an 8-car garage or something?
I see garage on the right end, garage on the left end, and it looks deeper than 1 car deep. And it's not all littered up like garages get when they are overcrowded with too much stuff in them.
Looks good whatever it is!

It's a decent sized garage, but not huge. Technically a three car garage, but it's 30 feet deep and has an extra 6 feet of space on one side so there's quite a bit of storage and work space. Getting it organized has been an ongoing battle, but it's slowly but surely getting there.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back