The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

420a to 4g63/ fwd to awd

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Misuta Yancha

Probationary Member
Feb 5, 2008
Beaverton, Oregon
ok so I have a coworker that rolled a gsx and he is willing to give me the parts... if I take everything out how much modding will need to be done?

I did a little research and I know about the motor mounts being different... but if I have all of the parts what else would it take? would I have to mod the rear end any?

:beatentodeath: This subject has been beaten badly. It's a pile of work, and you'd be better off buying a gsx, but to each his own. ;) There's a thread on this somewhere. let me see if i can find it

Look at your 420a then the 4g63. See how they mount, then look at their engine harnesses.

This gets asked every couple of days, though you spruced it up with the added work of a AWD conversion.

Unless you have nothing better to do with your Lotto winnings, just buy a GSX.

I realize that it gets asked alot... I noticed there were alot of threads when I searched... yes I actually searched before I started asking questions

and as for the money... since I have a parts car now and I realize that I will be swapping bassically everything what else is needed besides engine mounts

Welder, motor harness, drive line, weld the drive shaft tunnel into your car etc.... and more money to custom fab shit, not to mention sell your car all the parts from the rolled 2g and just get a stock 2g gsx or fwd turbo one and it would take less time and money.

ok I think people are missing the point of why other people do swaps like this... because they can say they can, because it's fun, and because it's not always about the money, cars like everything else can be playthings or tools... I just happen to think of mine as a plaything

the eclipse like most imports are unibodies. there is no real chassis. honestly if you want to do then there is no stopping you. alot of work, fab, blah blah blah..you heard it all before. but if it gets done then good on ya.

but you can always get the wrecked GSX, sell it as parts, sell your 420a eclipse. use some of the money to buy a 2g GSX and then the rest to "play" with it. but if you want to save a few $$$ get a 1g gsx or talon. either way good luck with your build. hope whatever you choose to do works out:thumb:

The AWD conversion will be comparatively easy, it's been done numerous times. You would have to get the 420a out and the 4g63 in first; to my knowledge this swap has never been done and called successful. You won't find any real help around here, because it a) hasn't been done so there is no real info, and b) isn't a cost effective approach to making power.

If you have the money, parts, tools, skill, and time, go for it and document your build for the rest of us. It'd be a first, and the information could be used by others.

yea your definetly taking on a challenge, and yea if the front end is good and straight id say go ahead and swap front ends it would probally be easier than trying to fab mounts and all, so good luck !!!

ok I think people are missing the point of why other people do swaps like this... because they can say they can, because it's fun, and because it's not always about the money, cars like everything else can be playthings or tools... I just happen to think of mine as a plaything

Kind of like walking across the Bering Straight to populate another continent.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back