The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

3 point or 4 point harness, stock 2g seats

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMTurbos

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 27, 2001
Raleigh, North_Carolina
i searched and couldn't find any really good info on this. i want to put harnesses in my car cause the leather seats slide way to much around turns. so i am looking at the corbeau Harnesses. i am wondering where you would mount the rear connections to and also should i get 3 or 4 points with the stock seats, what would work better?

oh yeah, do i need the snap in or bolt on harnesses?

thanks

I have a 5-point harness with my stock seats.

The 2-lap belts are mounted in the stock seatbelt locations.
The rears are strapped around my rear strut bar (until I get my Corbeau)
The Nut belt is bolted beneath the seat.

Originally posted by L2RTSiAWD
I have a 5-point harness with my stock seats.

The 2-lap belts are mounted in the stock seatbelt locations.
The rears are strapped around my rear strut bar (until I get my Corbeau)
The Nut belt is bolted beneath the seat.

john do you have any pics of that?

so you got the bolt on and not the snap in i guess.
i don't a rear strut bar yet, so i might just do it on the stock rear location, who needs rear seats in a dsm anyways

I have the schroth 3-point asthmuth system that they show on rre..... I had the same concerns with the leather seats and these have been great over the past two years. the lap mounting points are in the rear seat bolts. the third mounting point for the shoulder harness is the stock rear seat belt mounting point. the nice thing about the belts is that you can unclip the belts (There is a second clip between the shoulder straps and the rear mount) for easy access to the rear seats. the only thing i don't like about the belts is that the schroth felt labels on the belts wore off fairly quick so i removed the labels completely; they still look great though.

get the 3-point with the snap. So that you can get in ur back seat easy if you need to. I have 4 points, it isn't a huge pain, but it's a little work to be able to work in the back seat. You rarely have to anyways. I removed the seat belts in my car. Just take your rears out. For the lap belt, you may need to use longer bolts and double stack the connecting points. 1 for seat belts, 1 for harnesses. Connect the shoulder straps to the lower rear seat belt bolt holes.

well i hate my back seats so that is not an issue with me, do you have any pics of your setup or can get them for me? i think i want the 4 point also

can somebody also explain the snap vs. bolt harnesses?

this is what i mean

Mounting Options: Bolt-in, Snap-in

they also have ones that look like this that are double release or single like these 2 pics

is that what you mean

double snap in

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

single

I mounted my shoulder straps to the seat bolts in the floor. The lap belts bolt to the stock seatbelt bolts. All you have to do is remove the stock bolts and replace them with the eye bolt that come with the seatbelts. It worked out pretty good. The shoulder straps go down the back of the seat to the stock floor bolts.

i dont have 4 points or anything, but im fairly sure i remember reading that you SHOULDNT mount the 2 shoulder belts on the floor... just food for thought

well im guessing that if you were in a crash, the harness woundnt serve its purpose since all the force from the shoulder belts woluld be placed on the badk f the seat. But i dont know, i was just telling what i read, ill try to find it later.....

In a perfect situation you would mount the shoulder belts to your roll cage.

If you do not have a roll cage you want to bolt the shoulder belts to the floor behind the seat.

Originally posted by mitsu95rs
What about the rear strut bar. Could you mount it to that?

Like I said mine is mounted to that right now until I get my Sparco or Corbeau seat.

You absolutely DO NOT want to mount the shoulder belts to any point below your shoulder line.

The reason for this is that in an accident, these belts will pull *downwards* on your shoulders, breaking your collarbones and/or spine.

If you don't have a roll cage, use the '3-point' harness style and mount to the stock upper rear seatbelt mount. On a 1G, if you're retaining the interior panels, this involves cutting the panel and drilling out one of the holes in the mount plate for the belt. I'd expect the situation to be similar on a 2g.

Here a the pics of my harness:

The 2 lap belts in the stock locations:

And the shoulder belts:

There's always the Schroth Ralley 4, which is street legal and mounts to the stock belt positions. The fronts mount to the two lower stock mounts and the rear section mounts to the two rear stock mount in the back seat. I just installed these in my car and they feel and work great. Havent had a chance to autox in them yet, but from just driving around with it on, you are planted.

are u serious about that accident thing??? i was just gonna get on an mount it to the floor....... but i guess no stock seat belts are that low either....... if thats true do u know a web site thta talks about it?? thanks a lot
Ryan

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back