The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Street Build '97 Eclipse AWD GS-T (2006 to Present)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Awesome Build thread, I really like your method of Simple, Clean, and taking your time, it appears to have worked out awesome for you.

I am in for whatever is next.

03MAY2012 - JAM Built 7-bolt 2.3L
After waiting patiently for a few months and having a few back and fourth phone calls with JAM (Jackson Automotive Machine) the bottom end was on my engine stand. Here's the complete bottom end build, JAM did a great job...

In order of the worked performed...
  • Remove all freeze plugs, galley plugs and bearings.
  • Hot tank block
  • Clean and inspect. Checking all bolt holes and bottom tap for ARP stud installation.
  • Mic cylinders.
  • check and correct deck surface. Block will be machined to a surface finish of RA50 or finer for use with MLS HG.
  • Torque plate hone using ARP head studs.
  • Clearance block for Manley I-Beams.
  • Remove oil jets and tap/plug holes.
  • Port oil passages in block.
  • Crank prep to include hot tank, visually inspect, magnaflux, check straightness, mic and polish.
  • Balance rotating assy.
  • Blueprint oil pump to include disassembly, clean, inspect, deburr gears, check clearances, port/polish housing, prelube and assemble.
  • Assy. shortblock to include final wash and component inspection, mock up, check rod and main bearing clearances, rod side clearances, pin fit in rods and pistons, verify clearance between rotating assy. and block, file/fit piston rings, install rods on pistons, install rotating assy into block.
The parts being used are...
  • Wiseco HD stroker pistons (9:1 and .020 over)
  • Manley turbo tuff I-beams (22mm wrist pin)
  • OE 100mm 4g64 crank
  • Coated ACL main/rod bearings
  • 2g OE oil pump with '90 straight cut gears (non-helical)
  • ARP main studs
Now it's just a waiting game. Once my stock 7-bolt block pops I'll have this ready to drop in.

DSC_0378.jpg

DSC_0368.jpg

:dsm:

...which means faster spool up so the bigger turbo I want to get is more streetable in a larger hotside. Stay tuned for more updates, there's more than a years worth, I just have to keep loading photos. LOL

Nice!! The turbo that you mentioned you are wanting to get, have you already gotten it or is that going to be part of your updates? If not, what size, brand might you be wanting to purchase? Any hp goal you have in mind that you might be shooting for?

To date, I still haven't bought it. I was trying to get in on the Black Friday deals that Forced Performance was doing but since they weren't responding to me emails I was able to keep my $1.7k.

I want a HTA3586 in a Tial vband .82 AR housing and a Buschur tubular manifold to run on the 2.3L. Eventually it will be in this build but even a year after I got the motor it's still on the engine stand. :shhh:

Classic underestimated 7 bolt, eh? LOL

Correct. I haven't bought into the 6-bolt hype, maybe stock for stock but after the motor's built and the rods are upgraded it's a unnecessary engine swap that's against emissions since the motor is from an older vehicle.

I like the idea of you utilizing the 7 bolt and proving that point about the 6 bolt hype. I was too into the hype about swapping in a 6 bolt as, I have done so, but after this thread..i think otherwies. SAVE THE 7BOLTS!!

20MAY2012 - Revised Calan Catch Can, New -10AN Valve Cover Install, and Surprise Eclipse
The catch can I had Craig build me was working just fine but I did it on a budget and only used AN fittings where I absolutely needed to. Craig revised his catch cans a bit, including a built in filter, and I got a great deal on a VC with -10AN bungs already welded to it so I just needed to powder coat it. Here's a shot of the VC before it went to powder coat, the bungs were welded on at a 45* angle and are setup for -10AN fittings.

attachment.jpg

The catch can Craig engineered was a work of art, after seeing it I couldn't wait to get it and try it out on my car.

After a few weeks of emails/phone calls back an forth with Craig the catch can was done, he even powder coated it for me, so it was just waiting for it in the mail. Here are the photos he took of the can before shipping it.

Catch Can `.JPG

Catch Can  1.JPG

After getting the catch can in the mail and picking up my freshly powder coated VC it was time to install everything. The fittings I bought were all 90* Redhorse Racing black -10AN and the line was Proclassic Earls hose. I couldn't ask for a better fitting or better functioning crankcase evac. setup then what Craig built for me, it works great and doesn't make a mess of the engine bay like other catch can setups on the market.

Here's a link to Craigs Catch Can's if anyone's interested.
Filtered Catch Cans - DSM Classifieds
VS Catch Cans

DSC_0435.jpg

To my surprise (I really had no idea) there was a lunar eclipse while I was out working on my DSM installing this catch can setup. It was a bit overcast too so it made it easy to photograph but it was windy so there was a ton of crap flying in the air, sorry for the dirt on the lens. :|

DSC_0476.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not only do you own an Eclipse but you have two of them photo documented in your build thread. That is really quite cool.

Glad to see more updates added. This car and build has really fueled my love for these cars since getting my first talon, really appreciate the effort and time put into both the car and each write up!

Thanks. I know I'm still behind almost 2yrs on the updates in the build thread but it's because I'm out in the garage actually wrenching on the car. Tracking it this weekend, hopefully I'll have a new PR and in about a year you'll see it as an update in this build thread. LOL

30MAY2012 - VIS Carbon Fiber Hood & Carbon Creations Hatch
A good friend and co-worker had his '97 Eagle Talon crankwalk on him and he decided to part ways with it and the DSM scene. He hooked it up and let me trade my OE hood and hatch for the carbon fiber pieces on his 2g + a little cash on top, which I was happy to give. It was hard to see him begin the part out of his Talon but I've always wanted a CF hood/hatch for just the weight savings benefits... :sneaky: Kidding, I like the way CF looks and besides, the hatch glass is was what carries most of the weight so without replacing it with Lexan there really isn't much weight savings.
A few photos off of the cell phone during the install out in the parking lot...
No hatch.jpg
No hood.jpg

After I washed up the CF, since his car had been collecting dust for a few weeks, I took some nicer shots of it to see how good it looked.

DSC_0478.jpg
DSC_0483.jpg
DSC_0485.jpg

I liked it so much I even swapped on the 2gb Eclipse front bumper to take some more pictures...

DSC_0494.jpg
DSC_0490.jpg

19JUN2012 - Catch Can R&D Check

A part of the deal to run one of Calan's VS2 catch can's was to check it every couple of weeks and let him know how it was functioning. Most catch can's are fairly simple but Craig went the extra mile and added a filter to separate even the smallest oil particulates from the air, before making it's way back into the intake. Great concept, he just wasn't sure how his first few cans were going to function.

After a few hundred miles and some passes down the track I decided to pull the catch can and take a look. It looked like Craig's pre-intake filter didn't hold up to the road tests, the glue wasn't strong enough. The amount of blow-by was very little though, which made me happy considering the crap I was getting with previous catch can setups...

You can see where the glue let go that as holding the filter to the outlet plate. I called Craig to let him know what happened and he asked me to ship him the outlet filter plate and filter so he could engineer something else since the glue wasn't working.

DSC_0502.jpg

DSC_0503.jpg

DSC_0507.jpg

14JUL2012 - Mitsubishi Owners Day (MOD)2012
Every DSMer that lives in Southern California marks their calendar for MOD and makes an attempt to get their car off its jack stands to make it. I was fortunate enough that every year after my first (2008) my car could make that trip, unfortunately 2012 would be my DSM's last because in less than a month we're packing our bags (and car parts) and moving East to Phoenix, AZ.

Just like always, we got to MOD late and parked across the street with the Honda's and mini vans but we weren't feeling up to leaving at 3a.m. to get in the Mitsu parking. For it being the last SoCal MOD I'd probably ever go to again, I had a good time and the free In N Out is always a plus.

Here are a few pictures I took while we were there and then some of the car's at the "spot". The 1g is banishedmunk (fmdgsx).

DSC_0012.jpg
DSC_0008.jpg
DSC_0010.jpg
DSC_0037.jpg
DSC_0020.jpg
DSC_0013.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back