The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

1st Gen w/ Bad Valves

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mach4g63t

15+ Year Contributor
May 28, 2007
St. Louis, Missouri
Hey, I'm looking into buying a really cheap 1st Gen GSX 5-speed off e-Bay right now. The listing says that the timing went bad and a couple of the Intake Valves were bent. I was wondering, from a novice standpoint with little experience aside from bolt-ons, how hard is it to replace the valves your self? Does it require any special tools? Also, I remember when I bought my old TSi AWD the timing belt snapped, blew the head, and valves were bent as a result. Are there any other possibilities of damage that could've been done to the motor subsequently?

Also, while I got the thread open, aside from the basic maintenance that would/should be done while the motor is apart- what are the benefits of putting 1mm large valves are the car? Would it be ideal to do it to a motor that's probably going to be relatively stock for a 'little while'? Are there any other things I should consider before buying this car?:rocks:
Thanks for any info and help

Hey, I'm looking into buying a really cheap 1st Gen GSX 5-speed off e-Bay right now. The listing says that the timing went bad and a couple of the Intake Valves were bent. I was wondering, from a novice standpoint with little experience aside from bolt-ons, how hard is it to replace the valves your self? Does it require any special tools? Also, I remember when I bought my old TSi AWD the timing belt snapped, blew the head, and valves were bent as a result. Are there any other possibilities of damage that could've been done to the motor subsequently?

Also, while I got the thread open, aside from the basic maintenance that would/should be done while the motor is apart- what are the benefits of putting 1mm large valves are the car? Would it be ideal to do it to a motor that's probably going to be relatively stock for a 'little while'? Are there any other things I should consider before buying this car?:rocks:
Thanks for any info and help

Valves require a valve spring compressor, it's a bit of a bi*** to use, but you'll get it down. They are less than $100, I dunno how much less though. Pistons could be jacked. Mine were and the guys before me ran it anyways, ran real well, probably will run real well when I put it back together with another piston screwed up. Oh well.

0 benefit to 1mm larger valves. Larger valves are really only required for cars that will be making big power, and the heads flow enough to make big power without them for some pretty big numbers.

You should consider the fact that it's not running and you have no idea about the condition of the clutch, transmission, or the rest of the driveline. If you've got limited experience, you'll also have difficulty troubleshooting problems as they arise. That's all I can think of now.

If you're going to buy it, be optimistic. You're not going to get out of this situation cheaply, you're probably not going to have it running the week after you buy it (especially if you're not even familiar with bolt ons), and you're going to have to learn a lot as you go. It's not impossible, and it might be a lot of fun if you accept that until you fix everything on it, it's a project-mobile. Good luck.

The valve spring compressors can be rented/checked out for a holding fee and when you return the kit you will get your money back. Also I am sure you know this but you might as well get a new mitsu timing belt, TB tensioner and the water pump. While the head is off you need to send it out and have it decked, pressure checked and milled to make sure it is a good head before you put all that effort into it.

Yea, no doubt. I wasn't assuming I would pick the car up and have it running within the weekend. I was planning on buying it, having it shipped to my house out in Missouri (i'm in N. Carolina on the E. Coast right now) and then when I get leave/money go home and tinker with it as time/money permitts. I'm just doing some wishful thinking right now. Assuming that I do buy the car, I was undoubtedly going to port/polish the head, which is the reason I asked about the 1mm oversized valves. My goal is to get another TSi AWD pushing 300-350 awhp again.

And I have SOME experience. I've pulled the whole driveline from a 95 and swapped it into another 95, swapped turbos, blah blah. I've just never really ever gotten very technical and hands-on with the internals of the motor. Thanks for the info. :thumb:

ya but he is going to have to make a slotted extension for it. look on vfaq.com it shows you how to make a valve spring compressor out of s c clamp

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back