The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

1st gear full boost, 2nd full, 3rd only 14psi?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gixxer6

10+ Year Contributor
May 28, 2012
Kingsley, Michigan
I'm having trouble getting full boost in 3rd gear, but only in this circumstance: from a stop, 1st gear WOT (20psi) until 7k RPM, let off, shift to 2nd, WOT (20psi) until 7k RPM, let off, shift to 3rd, WOT until 7k RPM 14-15psi. If I blip the throttle in 3rd, it will go to 20psi.

It will run 20psi in 3rd (or any gear) when I do a 2k RPM pull. It's only when running hard from a stop that the problem occurs.

I have logged this with DSMlink, the AFR on my wideband looks good, no knock, and the timing looks normal.

This has me stumped. I've tried 2 different MBCs, both act the same. I've tested my WGA (this is an MHI Evo 3 16G) with my air compressor. It has no leaks and seems to actuate the WG as is should. I have the MBC Tee'd off from the J pipe with all new line.

***UPDATE***

I installed a new Hallman Pro RX boost controller. Still having the same problem. However it is intermittent. Sometimes it will boost fine, sometimes it will only go to 14-15psi. Its odd that its ALWAYS in 3rd gear. I'm also getting some occasional boost spikes. I have it set to 20psi, with a 3rd gear pull from 2k to redline it will hold at 20psi. But I will get spikes up to 23psi when going through the gears.

This is driving me nuts! Any ideas what could cause this?

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back