The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1mm oversized valves with stock pistons?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoolin98

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 1, 2004
Easton, Pennsylvania
Im in the process of building a new motor. Im building a budget block with 2g NPR pistons .030 over with 1g rods, arp rods and mains. My concern is the head, it has 1mm oversized valves. Im going to be running comp 272 I/E cams.
Has anyone ever done this before? I tried researching and found nothing.
Im wondering if Im going to have piston to valve clearance problems due to the stock pistons valve reliefs?
Do I have to have them fly cut?

Oh, and Im going to be using a cometic MLS HG.

Obviously I know that I could wait to get the motor back from the machine shop and assemble it to find out. Im trying to save myself a future headache and figure this out ahead of time.

The only way to know, is to do a "dry" build and clay the tops of the pistons and then mesure the thickness of the clay in the valve relife of the piston

Uh, I was afraid I was going to hear that. I already knew that was a possibility, I was just trying to refrain from doing that much work.
Will torquing a cosmetic HG and then taking it off ruin it?
I'm wondering if I should just tell my machinist to fly cut the pistons?

If I do dry build it, how thick should the clay be in the relief? In other words, how much clearance should there be between the valve and the piston?
Thanks for your help btw...

General rule of thumb is .060 on the exhaust and .040 on the intake.

But that will change with how the cams degree in also.

I doubt you will need a fly cut on the pistons.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back