The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

16g turbo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I believe that if it has 12 impeller blades on the compressor side like that then it is a 14b. On the 16g's there are less blades. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I've always thought.

It's a 14b. Any one of the million threads on here entitled "Is this a 16g?" would tell you that. Also, the VFAQ has some pretty good articles in it that explain all the differences.

Seller either doesn't know what he really has or DOES know and hopes that the buyer won't know the difference. Pass on this one.

It's got way more than 10k miles on it. Maybe on the car he had it on, he put 10k miles on it personally, but you have to figure that that turbo is, at the very least, 14 years old.

For another couple hundred, you can get something brand new, larger, and better. I would advise, however, staying away from ebay 16g turbos. Not many people have had luck with them, as your search on this site, using the terms "ebay+turbo and/or 16g" will tell you.

I agree with MrBoxx. It might be ok if it were in a little better shape. It's hard to tell what kind of shape it's in without being able to touch it. (check shaft play etc.) That's why I could never buy any kind of used turbo online where I couldn't check it out for myself in person before I buy it. If it ain't new with some kind of guarantee, I don't want it.;) But that's just me.

ExtremePSI is one.

And at the top of this page, in the red toolbar, is a link called "Vendors". About 75% of them will probably carry a variant of the 16g.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Actually, that's not even close to a 16G. That turbo belongs to someone very close to me....it has an old 7-blade GT30R compressor wheel machined into the 16G housing. The wheel is close in measurement to a Garrett 60-1.

THIS is a 16G:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

TO THE OP-

The turbo in that auction is a 14B for sure. It appears the seller forgot a "0" in that listing- that thing appears to have about 100k on it. It's being sold by a Honda guy if that tells you anything. The only person he'll be able to bullshit into thinking that turbo is a 16G with 10k on it is- you guessed it....another Honda guy.

Make sure your friend has set up his engine for a bigger turbo to begin with. If he thinks that by putting a bigger turbo on an engine that hasnt been prepped for it he'll be disappointed. He needs to make sure it is set up for it first or he won't get the power he expect and too big of a turbo could also have a negative effect on the engine's performance. This site has a good step by step setup to prepare your engine for a bigger turbo and to get the max performance out of your investment.

Actually, that's not even close to a 16G. That turbo belongs to someone very close to me....it has an old 7-blade GT30R compressor wheel machined into the 16G housing. The wheel is close in measurement to a Garrett 60-1.

Wow, you are right. I must have been distracted by the shiny compressor housing to even notice it had 7 blades. Thanks for picking up on that :thumb:

Yes that not only is a 14b. But why is he saying that it has had internals that were "swapped with better more performing parts". Did he put a td06 turbine wheel in a 6cm^2 turbine housing and bolton the stock 14b compressor wheel LOL . I can see someone not knowing what turbo he has, 14b instead of 16g. But he IS lying when he said he had "better more performing parts" put in it. . .

A used 14b pushed to 20psi on a 4g63 has been beat on quite a bit.

And a word of caution. See this link. It will help you here.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back