The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Punishment Racing Tial 38mm MVS Wastegate Install

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSM_ThuNDeR

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 28, 2008
Salinas, California
I bought a pakage deal a couple of weeks ago from punishment racing. It seems that the MV-S vband 38mm wastegate is new for 2009, so there isn't really accurate proper installation diagrams/pics that I have found (ONLY FOR F38).

Talon/Eclipse Tial MVS 38mm Wastegate / Recirculated o2 Housing Package

I have took out the flapper, and ported the hell out of the whole. I installed it just this weekend, but decided to go WOT just today. According to P. Racing, this wastegate comes with a 1.0 bar (14.50 PSI) But when I got on it, my boost gauge reads 20-21PSI! This wastegate has three ports on the bottom, one on the side of the top, and ONE ON TOP. Where exactly can I tap my boost source to this wastegate with my MBC? If anyone has purchased it and has installed it, please post up some pics and a little info too. The Post that Punishment Racing has here promoting this wastegate isn't really useful on the count that they said they were going to post some installed pix of the gate, but NOTHING:nono:

I am really confused:confused:. I hooked up the gate T'd off at the BOV running straight(No MBC) to one of the three bottom ports, top side port is blocked off, and top is left to vent to the atmosphere.

Well thanks in advanced.

:dsm:

Engine Bay
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Wastegate

BLANK PIC of the wastegate for you guys to draw and show me how to hook it up:
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j132/venom_greenbeast/DSC00276CLEAN.jpg

I will be really happy if I got this dam thing to work. Another thing where exactly can I put my MBC?:aha:

I forgot to mention, I do have another vaccum nipple for the wastegate that came with the pakage but did not install that one.

Can you share where you bought those plugs for the rest of the holes you blocked off?

I ran mine without them plugged and had a hard time controlling my boost but I'm wondering if this was the reason why.

Can you share where you bought those plugs for the rest of the holes you blocked off?

I ran mine without them plugged and had a hard time controlling my boost but I'm wondering if this was the reason why.
The Tial MSV comes with those plugs. All lower ports (except for the one you're using) need to be plugged, otherwise the wastegate will not properly function.

DSM_ThuNDeR - You really should pop the top off of that wastegate to verify which spring it really has. Otherwise, you're only guessing how much boost you're supposed to be running. I wouldn't trust what it was 'claimed' to have came with, because it's easily possible that it has something other than what you think is in there. Also, you really should shorten up that vacuum line to the wastegate. Run that line from the manifold directly to the BOV only. Then run a separate line from the turbo's compressor cover or lower IC pipe directly to the lower port of the wastegate.

Is it currently spiking, creeping, or just running high? Did you do any porting on the volute of the turbine housing?

Last edited:
youve got so many miles of vacuum hose that it wouldn't matter if youve got a 10psi spring in that external wastegate... :D jk
alright heres what Paul is talking about. you need a boost source as close to the compressor of that 20g as you can get. that way as soon as you go into boost that tial will see it and open up ASAP to control it.

in the lime F&F green is the routing of my vacuum lines for my wg and my bov. i have mine actually zip tied to my radiator, not floating around in space by the exhaust mani but hopefully you get the idea. if you don't have anything to hook up a hose to on your licp what alot of guys do is screw a nipple into one of the couplers instead of going through the trouble of welding one on a pipe. just do a BLT after the install!
hopefully we were able to help?

I do have rock solid boost control. I will have to weld a nipple at my LICP and hook it up how you guys say. I still haven't popped open the cap of the wastegate because I'm scared that I won't be able to remember how to put it back together. Anyway, now I'm really sure Punishment Racing gave me the gate with 2 particular springs that made it open at 19.5 PSI or around there. Sometime I'll take a look when the weather gets better. thanks for the replies

Any status on this? I will be doing the same soon and with the same o2 housing.

Just finished putting sewey_gsx's car back together a couple weeks ago. This is a prime example of how the gate should be plumbed. We welded a bung onto the j-pipe and kept the line short and simple. Top port left open to reference open atmosphere, one side port used as a boost reference, and the rest of them are plugged.

To the OP: If you want to open the top, open it.. There is nothing, that will confuse you. It is only the SPRING inside.. Most important, when you putting it back together, use some sort of grips and make sure you WILL NOT crimp the diaphragm/orange rubber/..

Just wondering why the top port is left open while the diagram on Tial's page shows this. What's the difference and why not follow their direction?

I hope Im not bringing this back from the dead but it applys to my situation as well. Im running a Holset HX35 with the SLS O2 housing and tial 38mm WG. The spring in it is the large red spring that opens at 11.6 psi according to Tials website. My car wont boost any less then 25psi! I tested the wastegate with my air compressor, and it cracks open at 20psi and is fully open at 25psi. The diaphram looked good and there are no leaks. Im trying to run 20psi. Its hooked up properly, and I took my MBC out to eliminate one possible factor. Still at 25psi. What spring is everyone else running? thanks

I run the .9bar/13psi (large green) spring in my 38mm Tial and it holds right around 15psi when I control boost off the spring with no mbc connected. Triple check your vacuum line connections, how old is the Tial your running on there?

Did you install the red spring or was that what you ordered it with? Only asking because you should double check the spring that is in there if you did not put it in.

I bought the tial with the spring but I pulled it apart and checked,it is infact a red spring.not sure how old it is,but everything looks good.diaphram looks new.vaccum lines are straight from the turbo to the sideport on the wg

Whole unit moved fluidly inside the body?

It's possible that the spring could just be miss colored or there is a leak somewhere in the vacuum line.

Check the bottom of the wastegate where it sits flush with the manifold or o2 housing, whichever one your running it off of and make sure you have the valve seat ring...

The wastegate is the F38 so it has the 2bolt flanges on it. Even when its not on the car, it doesnt open fully until 25psi.
IS IT MISSING THE VALVE SEAT RING? Just because you have the F38 with the 2 bolt flange on it doesn't mean it shouldn't have one. My Tial F38 has a valve seat ring...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok got the car back together. I got a 10psi spring in my wastegate now, and the car is running at 20psi. I took it to a local shop here and he looked at the wastegate and couldnt find anything else wrong with it. At least Im at 20psi now! haha. Im going to try a different boost source (other then the compressor housing), I have a nipple on my lower intercooler pipe and see what that does. Ill also take some pics

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back