Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > DSM Tech > Turbo System Tech
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Turbo System Tech: 4G63 turbos, Intercooling, Boost Control, Wastegates, etc.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2008, 11:40 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 708
Classifieds Rating: 0

PTE Boosted 50 trim 5457

I called PTE yesterday to see what I could find out about the "boosted" 50 trim.
Basically it has a new turbine wheel that is a proprietary PTE wheel. That is the only difference between it and the previous PTE 50 trim which was called the 5031. The new one is called the 5457. Jeremy said the 5457 will spool about 5% sooner than a regular Garrett 50 trim with stage 3 turbine wheel and same a/r. They also "rate" it 5 whp more than the 5031, so apparently the new turbine wheel doesn't hurt power output. So if all this is true it should be a real nice unit!

The compressor wheel is not a Garrett wheel, it is made by (or for) PTE. Inducer diameter is 54 mm. This is the exact same wheel they have used in the 5031 for the last few years.

There are actually no Garrett parts in the turbo whatsoever. The bearings, housings, wheels, everything, are made by or for PTE. This is what they have been doing for the last few years. PTE is also a Garrett dealer so you can buy a Garrett from them, but the turbos that carry the PTE name are not Garretts.

The 5457 is available either plain bearing or ball bearing. You can get a mitsu style turbine housing or T3 housings. The plain bearing turbos are in stock. There is at the moment a wait for ball bearing turbos of about 3 weeks - they are waiting for some parts from a supplier. BTW Jeremy says the T3 style housings are a bit more efficient than the mitsu housings. Prices are the same as the 5031.

The ball bearing turbos are water cooled. The plain bearing turbos are not water cooled.

Jeremy said their web site is pretty out of date. I would suggest if you want to find out anything about a PTE turbo, call them. When I called they answered the phone right away and I thought Jeremy's tech savy was very good, unlike a few of the other shops.

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:18 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 223
Photos: 2
Classifieds Rating: 1
Quote "There is at the moment a wait for ball bearing turbos of about 3 weeks - they are waiting for some parts from a supplier. "

That's 4sho, I would call and check avalability of what ever turbo you are going to choose from PTE. I waited 2 months for my SCM4431R/mitsu housing. It sure sucks lookin at your car sittn there waitin for it. It's going in tomorow, can't wait to see what it can do.

Old 07-19-2008, 11:50 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBLAZE79 View Post
It's going in tomorow, can't wait to see what it can do.

Good luck, it will be interesting to see how you like it.

Gary

Old 08-03-2008, 07:15 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 249
Classifieds Rating: 5
Any updates?

Old 08-07-2008, 01:03 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Update:

I finally have the car on the road but I had to put my stock exhaust back on to run through emissions . I'm gonna do that this next week. The tranny is also rebuilt so I need to go easy for 500Mi or so. The tial spring is 15psi so the SCM4431R reaches that around 4800 RPM. Haven't turned up the boost yet untill I can get my 3in exhaust back on and tune with my wideband. It will prob be a month or so before I have the water alcohol, exhaust, duct/air scoop for my radiator and tuned before I will see how good this turbo is.

On a side note for anyone installing one. I called PTE and they said not to install a restrictor for the oil line. It's ran off the oil cooler housing and I told them I prob have 100psi or so due to no balance shafts. He said if I run a restrictor it will burn up the turbo. That seems contradictory to what I have read on the forum so far either way it's not smoking or anything so I'll leave it that way. I can post some pics of the install if anyone is interested.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:43 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Pics, sure. What kind of O2 housing is it? Is the exhaust manifold a ported 2g?
Would be extra good if you could get some pics that show clearance around the wastegate - like to the radiator and alternator. And one that shows clearance between the waterpipe and the compressor housing.
What the heck is a 4431?

Gary

Old 08-10-2008, 12:42 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 249
Classifieds Rating: 5
It's a 60 trim. With a Stage 3 Exh. wheel.

You should be seeing full boost (25 psi) by 4200-4400 without a issue after a descent tune.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:03 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBLAZE79 View Post
On a side note for anyone installing one. I called PTE and they said not to install a restrictor for the oil line. It's ran off the oil cooler housing and I told them I prob have 100psi or so due to no balance shafts. He said if I run a restrictor it will burn up the turbo. That seems contradictory to what I have read on the forum so far either way it's not smoking or anything so I'll leave it that way.
Yeah that does seem contradictory, usually the ball bearing turbos can get along just fine with lower oil pressure and actually prefer it. If he's right, the only thing I can think of is that since PTE is using their own bearing system now (not Garrett's) they just did their's different than everybody else and it likes a lot of oil pressure.

Gary

Old 09-16-2008, 02:24 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by We're on Boost View Post
Pics, sure. What kind of O2 housing is it? Is the exhaust manifold a ported 2g?
Would be extra good if you could get some pics that show clearance around the wastegate - like to the radiator and alternator. And one that shows clearance between the waterpipe and the compressor housing.
What the heck is a 4431?

Gary
Sorry for the huge delay but I moved to a new house and finally got internet at home.
Here is some of the pics I took of the install. I had to dent the water pipe and rotate the compersor housing. Also bend the water lines. Its a ported 2G mani and punishment stainless recirculated o2 housing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsm2.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	87357  

Name:	dsm3.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	87358  

Name:	dsm4.jpg
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	87359  

Name:	dsm5.jpg
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	87360  

Old 09-16-2008, 06:10 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

That looks good.
Would you say there is about an inch of clearance between the wastegate and the radiator?

Gary