Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > DSM Tech > Turbo System Tech
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Turbo System Tech: 4G63 turbos, Intercooling, Boost Control, Wastegates, etc.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2008, 07:17 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 513
Photos: 1
Classifieds Rating: 8

*SUPRA SIDEMOUNT INTERCOOLERS* Testing the limits

Well I picked up a supra sidemount intercooler. To my surprise, no one has ever really tried experimenting on these too much. I can't find any timeslips and barely and dyno graphs with a supra sidemount. Well, I want to see how far it can get me with an evo 3 16g.

I just downgraded from a SSAC ebay FMIC to the supra sidemount. My best time on the SSAC was 12.6 @ 109 last year (on an safc), and I am shooting for a 12.0 this year with the sidemount.

Does anybody have some information on how well these intercoolers can perform on an evo316g car?

Would there be any benefit to spraying it with some C02 before a run? Would it be worth welding water jackets onto one and using it as a water/air intercooler?

MY MAIN PURPOSE FOR BUYING THIS was to experiment. I am just learning what works, what doesnt, etc.

I realize it may have been a downgrade to go from an SSAC to the sidemount, but like I said, I want to experiment and see how things work. So does anybody have any answers to the questions? Anybody want to chime in about my idea of welding on panels to make the Supra Sidemount into a water/air intercooler for track use?

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:23 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 151
Photos: 3
Classifieds Rating: 0
This looks awesome and a great way to do a sleeper. I've got the big 16g and this would be cool to see just how far it will go. Big thumbs up on the idea, Show the dyno of before and after if possible just from the install. Very cool idea!
View photos of this member's car 

Old 05-19-2008, 07:26 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 782
Cool! I was gonna post about the supra sidemount because I wanted to go with the sleeper look and everyone says to go with that as a good upgrade if you dont want a front mount.. Let us know how it works out Would really like to keep my car stock looking... BTW where did you pick it up from been looking for one and how much did you get it for?? Thanks,

Old 05-19-2008, 07:42 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 513
Photos: 1
Classifieds Rating: 8
I went on supra forums and pretended to own a supra.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:59 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Supporting Freelancer

R&D racing & development 

Tech Posts: 664
Photos: 9
Classified Ads: 2
Classifieds Rating: 10
Send a message via AIM to TurboAnything
I had very good luck with a supra smic i ran full boost on a 14b 32psi and had great results. I had no problem pulling on 16g cars and heads cam T/As.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:14 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 4,278
Photos: 8
Classifieds Rating: 4
I'm pumped for this. I just picked up a Hahn SMIC in lieu of the Supra MKIV, simply for bolt on reasons. I believe the Supra part is better overall. Someone even told me that they've seen flow numbers and that the Supra flows more than the Hahn.

Whats also interesting about this is that I too have an SSAC kit. I've just not got the guts to put it on, for fear of the popo.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:34 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,568
Classifieds Rating: 1
Reputation: tkelly27 is extremely helpful and trustworthytkelly27 is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to tkelly27 Send a message via Yahoo to tkelly27
My opinion is that if you're going to spray, spray NO2 inside the engine. You can get the intercooler really cold with CO2, but there are two things I don't like about it. You can drop the temps with NO2 and get the extra oxygen, and you can run the risk of icing up the flow path.

Water jacket, not really a good idea. You're still limited by the flow core. Reversing the flow paths with water as the cooling medium is the better idea, but I don't think it would fit in wheel well at that point.
DDG- Son of the Silver Bullet
in the last entry it shows what was done. I guess with ice water it's going to be cold, but the water jacket is probably a bad idea for the street.

Does the ducting fit the supra one? If not, modifying that could make things a little better, or opening up the inlet. Maybe take a look at the end tanks, see if you can't make them a little more efficient at flow distribution.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:42 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 176
Photos: 25
I have an evo3 16g and a supra sidemount so I'm really eager to see what your findings will be. I will take my car to the track or the dyno in the next 2-3 weeks and I will post results here. I had the Supra SMIC for about a year with no problems. I run 21 lbs of boost daily and the car seems pretty happy. The temperature here is pretty high as well so I'm curious to see how much it will take to heat soak that sucker.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:50 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,457
Photos: 18
Classifieds Rating: 17
Send a message via AIM to dnhieu
The supra side mount is a awesome intercooler just a royal pain to install. on a 1st gen it will cause the bumper to stick out on the side and you will also have to cut the hole where the stock intercooler goes. i had problems blowing charge pipes off due to the face i didnt have any pipes with a beed around the edges. to me, for all the hassle it isnt worth all the money (to set it up)...

on a good note tho. that sucker definetly cools some air!

Old 05-20-2008, 10:54 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,018
Photos: 10
Classifieds Rating: 29
I have a custom supra sidemount on my talon on the 14b on 20psi and it runs great, I came from rre fmic to supra sidemount, it's wierd but the supra sidemount made my car respond better, so I think with your 16g setup it will perform really well

Old 05-20-2008, 03:46 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,950
Classifieds Rating: 34
Reputation: DSMunknown is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toDSMunknown is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toDSMunknown is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toDSMunknown is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkelly27
Does the ducting fit the supra one? If not, modifying that could make things a little better, or opening up the inlet. Maybe take a look at the end tanks, see if you can't make them a little more efficient at flow distribution.

Post #18 and #19 covers this issue in the link below.

Supra SMIC Install Guide - "Long Version"

The end tanks *definitely* need to be redesigned to push this thing all the way. However, I don't like the idea of using it with a 16G. This turbo does so much better with a solid FMIC. IMHO you will see much better gains and times with a good FMIC. Anyways, I would suggest meth/water injection rather than anything else.

I was planning on doing some very special stuff (hush-hush) with mine this summer, but there have been several other things that require my attention. I won't give away all the secrets in store, but I'll watch to see what others come up with.

Again, please concentrate on the end tanks.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:06 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,457
Photos: 18
Send a message via AIM to dnhieu
haha, that welded smic in the "long version" was mine! its been so long i forgot i did that lol...

Old 05-23-2008, 11:51 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Retired

Car: 2012 Genesis Coupe
Tech Posts: 4,260
Photos: 29
Classifieds Rating: 12
Reputation: LandoAWD is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toLandoAWD is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toLandoAWD is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toLandoAWD is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toLandoAWD is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toLandoAWD is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to LandoAWD
Supra SMIC and a SCM61 at 24psi. No complaints, but I'm sure a FMIC would pick things up a smidge.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:50 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)

Tech Posts: 11,732
Photos: 13
Classified Ads: 4
Classifieds Rating: 216
I'm using a Supra SMIC on my '92 TSI FWD with a Sleeper 18G turbo (18G compressor machined into a 14B cover.) The clutch has been slipping since last summer so I have the boost backed down to 10psi so I can at least drive the car a little now and again. I've been trying to focus on getting my AWD done so I haven't put much effort into the FWD.

Fitment was simple- much easier than the 1GA cars with the headlight motors to interfere. The only mod that needed to be done was to trim away some of the area above the intercooler so that the upper tank outlet would fit through, and I had to bend the lower tow hook inward a bit to clear the lower tank's inlet. Nothing a holesaw and a 20lb sledge couldn't handle. I'm using a Dejon upper pipe, and it mounted directly to the Supra SMIC...I just had to make the upper coupler slightly longer (between the upper pipe and the throttle body elbow. You can see the coupler a little in this engine bay pic:

I originally chose the Supra SMIC because of the "sleeper" appearance...I want my FWD to look as stock as possible. For the price, it's biggest sidemount intercooler you can buy. A close buddy of mine ran a Supra SMIC on his AWD paired to a Big 16G @ around 20psi and went 12.69 @ 108.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:52 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 188
Photos: 2
Classifieds Rating: 1
I just recently did the mkiv install and am completly loving it... What are you guys doing to keep it cool in between pulls or runs... I heated the crap out of it at 14psi with my fp t28 on the freeway... I was thinking of riging up a no2 sprayer untill i go water injection... I dont want to use co2 since the intercooler sits real close to the filter and i dont want to suck up any co2 and loose performance...what you guys think?

Lets try and keep this thread alive... Theres not to many good threads on the supra intercooler that give decent info about its limits, they are all about how to install...

Old 08-08-2008, 09:29 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
DSMtuners Supporting Vendor

Jack's Transmissions 

Car: '92 Mazda Miata (w/turbo)
Tech Posts: 627
Photos: 11
Classifieds Rating: 3
If you want a LAIC just buy one from here instead of trying to convert yours:
Front Mount Intercooler

I'm interested in this experiment as well. I've got a Dejon Big SMIC and almost got a Supra instead, so I'd be interested to see what drop or gain in performance you get from ditching the SSAC frontmount.

EDIT: Link above has LAIC's, not just front mounts, despite the link name.
Visit matthewdesigns's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 08-09-2008, 06:37 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 577
Photos: 14
I had a supra sidemount but decided to sell it and go FMIC just because I didn't have the patience to install it, and I was concerned with blowing off intercooler pipes. I do agree that for the price this thing is massive and worth it. From what I have read it performs really well and probably just as good as any small front mount. Keep us posted.

Old 08-10-2008, 06:34 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 206
What are the dimensions of the supra intercooler.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:14 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #19 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 554
Send a message via AIM to rhamlinii Send a message via Yahoo to rhamlinii
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyjay View Post
Years ago, this was the thing to do. Stick with your sidemount or put a fmic on the car. I went 12.83 @104 with a stock piping, 14b w/ 6cm exhaust housing, smic, stock motor, and no fuel controll at 20psi. It's not worth the headaches of swaping endtanks. Doing it right would be to have endtanks made for it. Just for the price and headaches alone, you could of brought a kit from a good vender. I've tried it, and boost leaks and a slower car is what I got 6 years ago.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:31 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #20 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,950
Classifieds Rating: 34
Reputation: DSMunknown is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toDSMunknown is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toDSMunknown is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toDSMunknown is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyjay

You didn't give one single thought to read through my install guide, did you?