The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

*SUPRA SIDEMOUNT INTERCOOLERS* Testing the limits

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well I picked up a supra sidemount intercooler. To my surprise, no one has ever really tried experimenting on these too much. I can't find any timeslips and barely and dyno graphs with a supra sidemount. Well, I want to see how far it can get me with an evo 3 16g.

I just downgraded from a SSAC ebay FMIC to the supra sidemount. My best time on the SSAC was 12.6 @ 109 last year (on an safc), and I am shooting for a 12.0 this year with the sidemount.

Does anybody have some information on how well these intercoolers can perform on an evo316g car?

Would there be any benefit to spraying it with some C02 before a run? Would it be worth welding water jackets onto one and using it as a water/air intercooler?

MY MAIN PURPOSE FOR BUYING THIS was to experiment. I am just learning what works, what doesnt, etc.

I realize it may have been a downgrade to go from an SSAC to the sidemount, but like I said, I want to experiment and see how things work. So does anybody have any answers to the questions? Anybody want to chime in about my idea of welding on panels to make the Supra Sidemount into a water/air intercooler for track use?

One year later and you still haven't finished your experiment mini zilo. What the Duce!?!

I used to have some data on this cooler. going off memory with a 14b car. stock sidemount saw intake temps as high as 220 after intercooler. starion front mount dropped them to 170. the supra sidemount dropped them again to 135. Its a great stealth cooler.

My supra sidemount brought inlet temperatures at the TB elbow down to about 92* on a low 70s day with a 2nd gear pull (automatic) at 22psi on an evo316g. That has the turbo in a fairly efficient range but its still pretty impressive IMO considering that by default having a sidemount means pulling hot air from the engine bay to start with.

My supra sidemount brought inlet temperatures at the TB elbow down to about 92* on a low 70s day with a 2nd gear pull (automatic) at 22psi on an evo316g. That has the turbo in a fairly efficient range but its still pretty impressive IMO considering that by default having a sidemount means pulling hot air from the engine bay to start with.

That's some pretty good cooling with that IC. If I wasn't so cheap I'd by a temp sensor and test my Dejon LOL.

However, having a smic does not necessarily doom one to hot engine air. I've got a box around my filter, and a couple of holes through the inner fender through which I draw outside air. One of the holes is the factory draw for fresh air, and the other is available by removing a plastic panel through the inner fender.

We were getting 67* intake temps on stock 1g smic on e85. That is our highest recorded so a supra smic on e85 should work pretty well ;) just waiting for a good deal.

We were getting 67* intake temps on stock 1g smic on e85. That is our highest recorded so a supra smic on e85 should work pretty well ;) just waiting for a good deal.

What were you using to log your temps and where was the temp probe located?
I'm asking just because you made it sounds like your temps were the MAF reading, before the IC.

Unfortunately I don't have much data with this, but I had one on my first 95 talon awd. It was a pretty simple install as I was still a newb back then, but it definitely had quicker response time than a FMIC and was pretty efficient.

Right now I have a STOCK 98 gs-t I was thinking of upgrading a bit, but still keeping a stock look. So I was planning on using this IC with either the FP Big T28 for the ULTIMATE sleeper or maybe upgrade to the FP68HTA since its pretty bad ass. Either way it'll still look mostly stock (heat shields and all) and should be able to run high 12's.:hellyeah:

That's some pretty good cooling with that IC. If I wasn't so cheap I'd by a temp sensor and test my Dejon LOL.

However, having a smic does not necessarily doom one to hot engine air. I've got a box around my filter, and a couple of holes through the inner fender through which I draw outside air. One of the holes is the factory draw for fresh air, and the other is available by removing a plastic panel through the inner fender.

My temp probe cost less than $20. I use a GM fast response MAT sensor and pigtail. I have an advantage in that I have a reflashable ecu so I can simply stick a pin anywhere that accepts the voltage range I'm looking for and then alter my MUT table but I can't imagine it would be that hard on another ecu either. Scalings are widely available.

FP68HTA since its pretty bad ass. Either way it'll still look mostly stock (heat shields and all) and should be able to run high 12's.
The 68HTA doesn't look all that impressive to me. I doubt that you will ever reach its maximum airflow especially if you are using parts that keep a sleeper look. I would say that you are likely better off with an evo3 16g for $400 less and no difference in real life performance on any car that is a sleeper or wouldn't push an evo3 16g to its maximum. I've seen a lot of people talking about the 68HTA but really it falls into the same category (in my mind) as a bastard 16g. There isn't much point to it unless you need to pull as much power as possible (>400hp) out of a stock appearing turbo.

My temp probe cost less than $20. I use a GM fast response MAT sensor and pigtail. I have an advantage in that I have a reflashable ecu so I can simply stick a pin anywhere that accepts the voltage range I'm looking for and then alter my MUT table but I can't imagine it would be that hard on another ecu either. Scalings are widely available.

Well, then, I've got no good excuses anymore LOL, although I'll need to figure out how to read the input from the sensor. Thanks for the info.

I really want to test the pressure drop and temp drop through the Dejon core so that there's some definite numbers on it. It'll be doable once it warms back up a little around here.

Keep in mind that the temp sensor input range is different than most ecu input ranges. The evo8 ecu has a couple of useful ports for this including IAT and fuel temp input (which 2gs don't have) you may need to get creative. Ceddy or Steve would be the first people who come to mind who would know the best way to make it work considering Ceddy uses the same sensor setup for 2g SD.

I just picked up a supra sidemount ... debating on installing it or just sticking with my ebay FMIC. I'm hoping it will help with my throttle response if I install it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back