The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Ball bearing PTE 50 trim

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

these turbochargers look amazing folks. i am personally looking to try the 6076. I think with the BB feature it will be amazing. I already run a 60-1 and to have it with a BB cartridge could really help my 2liter out.

When Rod first told me about these i couldn't beleive it. I think i asked him like 900013 questions and everyone was followed with a fantastic answer. All they are doing is improving on an already proven design.

prostreetdsmx1 said:
these turbochargers look amazing folks. i am personally looking to try the 6076. I think with the BB feature it will be amazing. I already run a 60-1 and to have it with a BB cartridge could really help my 2liter out.

When Rod first told me about these i couldn't beleive it. I think i asked him like 900013 questions and everyone was followed with a fantastic answer. All they are doing is improving on an already proven design.

So everything is the same on the outside as far as fitment goes? Just maybe some waterpipe denting and fan trimming? And as far as an install kit would we just purchase the Full GT Install Kit or what? LOL..just tell us all of the 900013 questions and answers you asked Rod.

Damn. I wish this was available when I got my p-trim 60-1. Right now, I get full spool on pump gas(25 psi) around 4300 rpm and race gas(30 psi) around 44-4500. Im sure the bb feature would get those down by at least a couple hundred rpm. And the price is really close to what I payed for mine.

as far as the install kit, we still use the same Garrett style kit we have always used on the SCM series but the water kit will also be needed to feed the wet bearing.

here is a pic so you can see what I'm talking about.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

folks i don't think you are getting this all together. It is the same physical size as the SCM50 we all know and love now. You do need to dent the water pipe a little if you have a stock manifold. This can be avoided with an SBR manifold and yes it does retain the stock O2 housing.

thanks

-marti

So Martin, how does compressor surge fair with this turbo now? Would someone be able to get a T04S cover with your turbos instead of the T04E? Have you actually tested these turbos out, and if so how has spool up been on a 2.0L?

interesting.. i havnt even got close to max out my SCM50.. cant wait to see numbers on these things..

so i noticed that there is an option now to have the divider or not have the divider.. will there be any problems with boost creep/spike/control with having the divider and having it internally gated.. i have always thought that the reason the old SCM50s had no divider was for boost control with internal gate for that big of a turbo..

also the first turbo i installed myself was the SCM50 which wasnt too difficult.. but time comsuming because i wanted to do it right.. say i got these new turbos.. it is also watercooled correct.. is it easy to run the lines?

16g-95gsx: I don't see surge being an issue on this turbo bud. The 6031 and the 6076 are available with the S cover for an additional $75 for those who do want to go bigger.

RedTurboEclipse: The divider is normally removed to help prevent creep issues. It's really been a toss up because in all honesty i have't seen to many of these turbos have creep issues but preventative service is always a good thing. This what it looks like with the Divider cut out:

prostreetdsmx1 said:
16g-95gsx: I don't see surge being an issue on this turbo bud. The 6031 and the 6076 are available with the S cover for an additional $75 for those who do want to go bigger.

RedTurboEclipse: The divider is normally removed to help prevent creep issues. It's really been a toss up because in all honesty i have't seen to many of these turbos have creep issues but preventative service is always a good thing. This what it looks like with the Divider cut out:
Removing the divider worked on my EVO III 16G, which is notorious for creep problems. Removing the divider will however, reduce the efficiency of the turbo.

99gst_racer said:
Is there compressor maps available for these yet? (I'm assuming they are slightly different from the channel bearing version of the same turbo.)

They are EXACTLY THE SAME. Compressors are NOT changed just the bearings.

Later

im thinking about picking one of these up since the regular scm50 was on back order.

Do you guys think a internal gate with cut divider be efficient?
or should i just get the regular scm 50 internal gate with my current mods.

99gst_racer said:
Is there compressor maps available for these yet? (I'm assuming they are slightly different from the channel bearing version of the same turbo.)
A 50-trim Garrett compressor map is a 50-trim Garrett compressor map. The BB CHRA may spool up a bit quicker but overall flow characteristics would not change :dsm:

I was checkin out their site and I am just about set on one of the PTE BB turbos but which one do you guys think I should go with to get 450awhp on pump the 50 trim? Or is it kinda dumb not to just go straight to the biggest one for the same price and run less boost and get the same hp. I don't touch a lot of c16 or high octane gas so I need something 93 octane friendly.

CanadianTSi said:
I would think these would compressor surge pretty bad, I can make my regular bearing 50 trim surge like crazy at anything over 21psi....
What makes you think that? Correct me if I'm wrong, but as long as there are no changes in the variables (pressure ratio vs. air flow), these shouldn't have any different surge characteristics than the channel bearing version.

PS - I run my 50-trim at 22 psi and I don't ever surge.

99gst_racer said:
What makes you think that? Correct me if I'm wrong, but as long as there are no changes in the variables (pressure ratio vs. air flow), these shouldn't have any different surge characteristics than the channel bearing version.

PS - I run my 50-trim at 22 psi and I don't ever surge.

Surge is caused by spooling to fast, so If I can make my regular bearing 50 trim sugre then the BB unit that should spool even faster would surge even worse...

CanadianTSi said:
Surge is caused by spooling to fast, so If I can make my regular bearing 50 trim sugre then the BB unit that should spool even faster would surge even worse...
Your profile says you're running an ETE turbo, last time I saw the Mutts they didn't uses the PTE/Bullseye housing :confused:

My 50-trim (7cm housing) has no surge issues whatsoever running as high as 24psi on the street with an OEM BOV. Then again I dont' see 20psi until ~4100RPM with my FP2 cams :dsm:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back