Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > DSM Tech > Turbo System Tech
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Turbo System Tech: 4G63 turbos, Intercooling, Boost Control, Wastegates, etc.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2005, 01:48 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 243
Photos: 1
Classifieds Rating: 3
Send a message via AIM to OneFastEclipse

The SMIC you sleeper guys dreamed of?

Well, I got a email today (as I am sure alot of you did as well) from Bullseye Power that stated they have released two new intercoolers to the DSM market. One being a FMIC and the other being a SMIC. The SMIC was tested with a 50trim variant turbo at 20psi. The inlet temp going in was 350F and coming out was only 100F with the ambient temp being 85F! On top of that it only had 1psi of pressure drop at 43lbs of airflow. I got a little curious about it and sent them a email to get a little more info. According to Nick at Bullseye, the intercooler will support a 50trim turbo to 25psi without heatsoak problems. Seems a little too go to be true. What you guys think of the concept? They even started a package where you can get the SMIC and a T04B turbo of your choice for only $999. Not a bad deal. Here is the link so you can see it for yourselves. http://www.bullseye-power.com/produc...roducts_id=139

Visit OneFastEclipse's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 01:55 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: 2007 Saturn Ion Red Line
Tech Posts: 122
Classifieds Rating: 0
Send a message via AIM to JST2FST
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFastEclipse
Well, I got a email today (as I am sure alot of you did as well) from Bullseye Power that stated they have released two new intercoolers to the DSM market. One being a FMIC and the other being a SMIC. The SMIC was tested with a 50trim variant turbo at 20psi. The inlet temp going in was 350F and coming out was only 100F with the ambient temp being 85F! On top of that it only had 1psi of pressure drop at 43lbs of airflow. I got a little curious about it and sent them a email to get a little more info. According to Nick at Bullseye, the intercooler will support a 50trim turbo to 25psi without heatsoak problems. Seems a little too go to be true. What you guys think of the concept? They even started a package where you can get the SMIC and a T04B turbo of your choice for only $999. Not a bad deal. Here is the link so you can see it for yourselves. http://www.bullseye-power.com/produc...roducts_id=139
was it tested with the bumber on?

Old 09-22-2005, 01:56 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 607
Classifieds Rating: 2
$475.00 for a sidemount
Visit dsmsucks's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 09-22-2005, 05:50 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 19
Classifieds Rating: 0
That intercooler looks nice for a side mount, but you just cant beat the look of the front mount. I would like to hear someone's review of it on a daily driver.

Old 09-22-2005, 06:08 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 229
Classifieds Rating: 18
i want to see how it looks like with the bumper and everything else on...

Old 09-22-2005, 06:38 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 529
Photos: 3
Defiantly would like to see it with the bumper on :/

Old 09-23-2005, 09:44 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 3,702
Photos: 12
Classifieds Rating: 1
Reputation: 1fast97gsx is extremely helpful and trustworthy1fast97gsx is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to 1fast97gsx
I'd pay $300 max for it. Looks nice and seems like it'll work.
View photos of this member's car 

Old 09-23-2005, 09:58 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,581
Photos: 25
Classifieds Rating: 132
Reputation: 1993eclipseGS is extremely helpful and trustworthy1993eclipseGS is extremely helpful and trustworthy
I would never pay that much money for a smic core.

Old 09-23-2005, 10:43 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,307
Photos: 4
Classifieds Rating: 12
Reputation: Steve93Talon is extremely helpful and trustworthySteve93Talon is extremely helpful and trustworthySteve93Talon is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to Steve93Talon
I'm all about the stock appearing look. I've got an Autometer peak/hold air temp gauge that I use to monitor charge temps. On the stock IC at 23psi on the 14b, I ran 12.4 @ 109, and charge temps were like 220F. With the Dejon Super SMIC, my charge temps dropped to 180F through the traps, and I've run a best of 12.19 @ 110 and best MPH of 111.3 so far. My plan is to maximize this setup, then do a water/air IC in the stock location in hopes of holding charge temps close to ambient through the entire pass.

They may be seeing 100F outlet temps, but for an entire 1/4 mile pass? Not likely. I'm usually fine until around 3rd gear, then the IC really heat soaks and the temps shoot up fast. It's not linear at all, it's very exponential.

They probably tested it by making a one-gear pull on the street and seeing where the temps hit. Not to say it won't improve performance over stock, but I doubt you'd see the temps they claim through a full pass.

Old 09-23-2005, 11:31 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 2,638
Photos: 12
Classifieds Rating: 8
Send a message via AIM to DSM90AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFastEclipse
The SMIC was tested with a 50trim variant turbo at 20psi. The inlet temp going in was 350F and coming out was only 100F with the ambient temp being 85F!
Very curious data results when using Jeff Lucious's calculator . You get both a 50-trim that is 63% efficient at 20psi (22psi at the compressor outlet) and a 94% Efficient SMIC. A 50-trim is 76% Efficient well into the late 20s.. and the best Bar-Plate cores are only 85% efficient.

I smell something stinky at Bullseye

Old 09-23-2005, 11:41 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,581
Photos: 25
Classifieds Rating: 132
Reputation: 1993eclipseGS is extremely helpful and trustworthy1993eclipseGS is extremely helpful and trustworthy
I would laugh at anyone that spends $475.00+shipping on a smic. You can have a fmic for less(Custom pieced together with piping), Or a complete kit from a vendor for a small amount more. I'm not bashing this vendor in any way, Being I had purchased a turbo off of them, For my previous car. I just honestly think that is an outragous price..

Old 09-23-2005, 11:55 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,079
Classifieds Rating: 46
Reputation: Stapl3 is pretty helpful and trustworthyStapl3 is pretty helpful and trustworthy
Wow, it has the performance characteristics of a 80 dollar supra SMIC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM90AWD
I smell something stinky at Bullseye
Many of us have been for months.

Old 09-23-2005, 02:10 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)

Tech Posts: 8,630
Photos: 68
Classified Ads: 3
Classifieds Rating: 131
hmm.... I'm very skeptical on that one. I've always had good luck with Bullseye in the past, but I would need to see proof on this one.....

I'm running their 50-trim and I have SBR's FMIC (24x12x3.5) and I don't see cooling that good. With an ambient of 85*, I'm seeing 105-110* air temps at the TB. And I know I have more surface area than any SMIC that I've ever seen.....

The Original 1G Chromoly Crossmember
Visit 99gst_racer's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 09-23-2005, 03:10 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Proven Member

Rev Works, Inc 

Tech Posts: 1,460
Photos: 2
Classifieds Rating: 9
Reputation: prostreetdsmx1 is extremely helpful and trustworthyprostreetdsmx1 is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to prostreetdsmx1
hey folks, i justed to chime in real quick. The SMIC was done off of one of our old designs and i can tell you that it is a great intercooler for what it is. Guys you have to remember that not everyone wants or can afford an FMIC. We were the ones that originally sent this to the manufacture to be made up and i can tell you we wouldn't have gone through the ordeal of having them made if there wasn't a reason.

I can't tell you how many SMIC core we have sold over the past couple of years. Lots of people just want something to take advantage of their 16g or something similarly sized. Now i personally do not recommend running 20psi on a 50trim with this but if you have a big16 or something and want something simple and affordable this is a great value.

Here are a couple more pics
Visit prostreetdsmx1's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 09-23-2005, 03:52 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 243
Classifieds Rating: 3
Send a message via AIM to OneFastEclipse
I decided to compare the core to that of other manufacturer's SMIC cores to see how much better it is. Bullseye measured it in millimeters for which reason I don't know. I converted their figure to inches below.

Dejon Tool SMIC - 9.5" Wide, 9" High, 4" Thick, 2.25" inlet, 2.5" outlet, Total Volume=342
ADFX SMIC - 8" Wide, 9" High, 4.5" Thick, 2.5" inlet/outlet, Total Volume=324
Bullseye SMIC - 8.5" Wide, 8" Tall, 4" Thick, 2.5" inlet/outlet, Total Volume=272
HRC SMIC - 10" Wide, Unknown height, 4.5" Thick, 2.25" inlet/outlet, Total Volume=270

All the cores mentioned above are Bar and Plate cores. It looks as if the Bullseye intercooler happens to be one of the smaller of the SMIC's available. The Dejon Tool SMIC has been out now for quite some time, why haven't people seen this kind of performance on those cores? Bullseye doing something special that I am not seeing?
Visit OneFastEclipse's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 09-23-2005, 03:55 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 3,792
Photos: 14
Classifieds Rating: 6
Send a message via AIM to 92awddsm
I wouldnt think of buying a smic for that kind of $. Besides, I know it wouldnt cool my 60-1 very well. I prefer to have a fmic that would last longer than 3 stop light to stoplight blasts before it is too hot to touch. And also after buying a turbo mounting gasket and o2 housing gasket from them that didnt last much longer than warming the car up, Im not going to spend my money on other parts from them just so I can wonder if they are going to last.

Old 09-23-2005, 04:36 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 252
Classifieds Rating: 1
Send a message via AIM to beat90tsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993eclipseGS
You can have a fmic for less
So that is automatically better?

I have seen reviews of the Supra SMIC that show it outperforming some FMICs.

But if you're into bling factor, I guess there's no beating an FMIC.

Old 09-23-2005, 04:36 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)
Proven Member

Rev Works, Inc 

Reputation: prostreetdsmx1 is extremely helpful and trustworthyprostreetdsmx1 is extremely helpful and trustworthy
the ADFX core was extruded tube and fin not bar and plate.

Old 09-23-2005, 05:08 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #19 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 287
Send a message via AIM to 95AWD_TSI_TALON
I find it funny......"comes polished at no extra charge". I think polished is a waste of money, I want a part to perform good. But why have a polished SMIC that you can;t see unless you arn't running your fender well then everyone see's it and kills the sleeper gig anyway.
Matt

Old 09-23-2005, 05:18 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #20 (permalink)
Proven Member

Rev Works, Inc 

folks why don't you understand that there are customers that do want and need a part like this. they aren't for everyone like i said before and since the product is good for what it is why keep trying to find a way to bash it?