The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

The SMIC you sleeper guys dreamed of?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

for that money you could run the stock sidemount and an alky injection kit and get better gains. its a nice looking piece but waaay too pricy.

If you really want to go sleeper like that, why don't you take a relatively small fmic and mount it in the side spot? A little custom work and you'd be sleeper what do you know. I don't see a point in spending that kind of dough for a smic either, but hey someone will and Bullseye will make their money.

The whole "lets pay 500$ for a smic to be sleeper" thing is a little outragous. A ''sleeper'' is only good the first time you bring it out. After that, I can assure that the word will spread.

beat90tsi said:
So that is automatically better?

I have seen reviews of the Supra SMIC that show it outperforming some FMICs.

But if you're into bling factor, I guess there's no beating an FMIC.

No, But I personally would never pay $500.00 for a smic. Thats how much I payed for my complete SBR fmic kit basically brand new. Granted, I got a deal. But the point is, You CAN find better prices on tested fmic's for the price of that smic.

Comparing this to the supra smic is like comparing apples and oranges, This has nothing to do with that. Also, I never once mentioned anything about ''bling factor''. A fmic is not intended to be used for ''bling''. Again, These are just my opinions, That's all.

SBstar said:
If you really want to go sleeper like that, why don't you take a relatively small fmic and mount it in the side spot?
Or a $249 JRC andonized black ;) I'd bet you a case you'd get way more performance gains than any SMIC. Remember it takes airflow across the core to provide cooling. A SMIC has a small profile as compared to a FMIC. It relys on air being "ducted", which on my 1G was a small pathway blocked by the OEM foglight (want to stay sleeper right?) and the radiator core mount. Not to mention the overall core size is smaller.

I agree that this would be a good match to a smaller turbo running <20psi, and maybe even worth the money for those cars fall under Smog Nazi juristiction :toobad: or a S/A racing class.

But if have the option, you are much better off with a FMIC :dsm:

I find it amusing that everyone saying they'd rather have their FMICs is slower than I've gone on a SMIC. ;)

There are other advantages to a SMIC than just the sleeper look. There's typically quicker spool-up because of less volume to fill. The main reason for me is that after my old setup with the Green/FMIC, I swore I'd never own a FMIC on a street driven car again. On hot days, the coolant temps just creep up, even with the fans on. I hated street driving my car on days over 90F. Lastly, some people don't want a FMIC in their grill advertising that the car is modded. Even an anodized FMIC is still easily spotted (I notice them immediately when I see 'em).

As someone posted above, why not keep the stock IC and get a water/alky kit? Answer: flow. The bigger SMICs might not cool much more efficiently than stock, but they flow alot more. The bigger core combined with a meth injection kit works great for me right now.

Steve93Talon said:
I find it amusing that everyone saying they'd rather have their FMICs is slower than I've gone on a SMIC. ;)

There are other advantages to a SMIC than just the sleeper look. There's typically quicker spool-up because of less volume to fill. The main reason for me is that after my old setup with the Green/FMIC, I swore I'd never own a FMIC on a street driven car again. On hot days, the coolant temps just creep up, even with the fans on. I hated street driving my car on days over 90F. Lastly, some people don't want a FMIC in their grill advertising that the car is modded. Even an anodized FMIC is still easily spotted (I notice them immediately when I see 'em).

As someone posted above, why not keep the stock IC and get a water/alky kit? Answer: flow. The bigger SMICs might not cool much more efficiently than stock, but they flow alot more. The bigger core combined with a meth injection kit works great for me right now.

I still dont understand why people get the smic to keep it from appearing to be modded. Most of these same people have a 2.5 or 3" exhaust that has a tone that apparently isnt stock or even remotely close. Doesnt that defeat the sleeper affect?

I could see running a smic in areas patrolled by the smog nazzis but I dont have to worry about that where Im at so it doesnt apply to me.

Also, my car is purpose built and sees very little street time, maybe once a week. With the roll cage and the liscense plate, it is noticeably modded. And with a properly functioning coolant system, the fmic doesnt affect cooling. I run a single pusher fan between my fmic and radiator, proper ducting, and have yet to see over 206* coolant temps on a 90* day.

This thread is turning into a FMIC vs SMIC battle when it was originally about a new smic that has come out and has outrageous claims.

I am interested in a good smic but $475 dollars for one ain't gonna happen.

Anyone looking to have a sleeper should move here to Wisconsin, where every 1G is a sleeper regardless of visible mods. :thumb:

If you want to be sleeper, install the FMIC right so it doesn't hang out of your bumper and spray bomb it black. Doesn't affect how it works and only people who KNOW what FMICs are will notice of they look close.

Well a side mount is less likely to get stolen.

Which is another reason to have a car that isn's so obviously modded looking: thieves look at your car and see dollar signs. They know if you have a front mount, you have gauges, a $1000 turbo, maybe a turbo timer and all the rest. They would be more then happy to part it out for you.

This SMIC is out of my budget, but it looks pretty nice.

Another thing is, at least when you buy a brand new part from a known vendor, you have piece of mind.

Sending a money order to a stranger on the other side of the country, and you never know wht you will get, if anything. You might get a supra SMIC that's all beat to crap. Then you still have to mod the frickin thing to work and cut at the frame of your car to get it in there.

I say lighten up on the vendor and the product. They all have their pros and cons.

I have had a reputable "super" sidemount I/C with a 16G and 650 injectors. and then I took the same setup and added a SBR front mount!

I was kickin myself in the ASS for days for buying that "super" side mount and the wicked cute plumbing to match! I could have bought 2 FMIC for that setup

with this experiance behind me, 16 G owners dont know what there missing not having a FMIC OMG

Stapl3 said:
I didn't see a reason to have a FMIC when I had my 16g and supra SMIC. The SMIC was doing everything needed perfectly.

what about heat soak?

I don't see why everyone is so anti sidemount. The title clearly states that it's for sleepers. That means, people who want improved performance that isn't visible to the average passerby.

To all the "I would never pay $XXX for a sidemount," you're in the wrong thread. You clearly like the idea that people will be able to see your IC.

And just because it's an "insert vendor" FMIC, doesn't mean it outperforms every SMIC out there. Particularly on cars running under 20psi daily.

This thread is getting out of control, it's like telling people not to buy an Evo316g because you could get a 60-1. If it's a mismatched setup, the car won't really be any faster for it. The same applies to intercoolers.

No it's not for sleepers. As stated before sleepers can get a FMIC and paint it black.

There's no such thing as a sleeper anymore anyways. Anyone that knows anything about racing knows what a dsm is and knows they can do 12s on a sidemount even a stock one so they will conisider that before the race is set up.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back