The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G fuel pump power mpi/mfi relay issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6boltpwr

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 17, 2009
gainesville, Virginia
I have troubleshot this fuel pump power issue to the mpi/mfi relay which is as far as i could go with info on this site and in the manual. the fuel pump is rewired and the relay for the rewire is good. next thing back to check is this mpi/mfi relay but i cannot find specific info on my relay.
[This is the relay, its from a 95 talon tsi AWD turbo manaul trans
http://http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee395/uzzi8116/mpi.jpg
http://http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee395/uzzi8116/mpi1.jpg

hopefully the image shows up if not let me know i can repost. i am not on my computer so i have no what is up to date and what isnt.

This is what the pin outs look like for the relay. i have seen other info about testing the relay but not this exact relay. Seems that other relays have 10 pins while mine has 8. Need to help to figure out the pinout of relay. my fuel pump relay (rewired one we install on our cars) is not getting the 12v that is the orginal fuel pump power which is now the main trigger relay connection after the rewire. it has worked before prior to this and ALL connections are good as with the relay.

Steve i know you are really good with electrical theory so any help from you would be great. i need some help figuring out what pin goes to the fuel pump rewire relay i installed from the mpi/mfi relay. Also to figure out what pins that would be hot with 12v would close the relay to do this (so from the ecu).

sorry guys for beeing long winded but i like all the details out there since it makes shit easier in the long run.

Thanks Andrew

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
The 95 turbo MFI/MPI relay wiring:

1) Black/Blue Fuel Pump Power output
2) Red MFI/MPI Power output
3) Black/Red MFI/MPI Power output
4) Red/Black MFI/MPI Power input
5) White/Red ECU Fuel Pump Relay control
6) Blue/Green ECU MFI/MPI Relay control
7) Black/White Fuel Pump Power input
8) Red/Black MFI/MPI Power input

The ECU control lines are grounded by the ECU to activate the relay.
The MFI/MPI Power input comes from the MFI/MPI fuse.
The Fuel Pump Power input comes from the Ignition Switch.

Grounding pin 6 should turn on the MFI/MPI power circuit. The MFI/MPI Relay should click and switch the incoming power on pin 4 to pins 2 and 3.

Grounding pin 5 while the ignition switch is on should turn on the fuel pump. The MFI/MPI Relay should click and switch the incoming power from the ignition circuit on pin 7 to pins 1.

Last edited:
you are the man, thanks for the help steve. i will test the relay tonight. where did you get the pinout info from?

might have to scoop up one of those myself since i plan on rewiring the radio since the harness is a mess.

Tested the relay last night, it works fine now? Fuel pump primed and everything worked whihc is weird since wednesday through sunday i couldnt get it to work? maybe its on its way out, might have to do some resistance checks.

Steve: I just noticed what may be a couple errors in your post #2 - please check.

You say: "The MFI Relay should click and switch the incoming power on pin 4 to pin 1."
Shouldn't this say: "The MFI Relay should click and switch the incoming power on pin 4 to both pins 2 and 3."?

Also pin 8 is missing.
Shouldn't this say: "8) Red/Black MFI Relay control power"?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back