The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

No Start / 95 ECU & Harness in a 97

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gofer

Feb 18, 2006
South Gilbert, Arizona
About a month ago my '97 wiring harness worked its way into my passenger side axle while I was driving 80mph, thus removing a ton of wires, connectors, & sensors and trashing the harness. A buddy of mine found someone wanting to sell their '95 wiring harness and I knew that even though there are differences between the two harnesses I could get my car to start using it. After I modified the '95 harness to work with my '97 cam angle sensor (CAS) by wiring in the correct plug I installed it in the car.

The car cranks but won't even try to start, the engines missing spark on all (4) cylinders. After cycling the ignition key three times I noticed that the CEL had illuminated and in link I'm getting the 0335 Crank Position Sensor (CPS) Ckt Malfunction DTC.

-I'm still inverting the CAS in dsmlink since its a '97 CAS on a '95 ECU. However not inverting it did nothing, the car still didn't start so I checked the box to invert it again.

-Now that the harness is a '95 I placed my plug wires in the correct firing order, since I had to have them swapped before running the '95 ECU. Whether or not my plug wires are in the right firing order or not, they aren't firing so this isn't the issue.

-When I soldered in the '97 CAS connector to the existing '95 CAS connectors I did it one for one since the wire colors were the same. Black to Black, Red to Red, and Blue/Red stripe to Blue/Red stripe. After I soldered it in I checked for continuity to the ECU Pin 89 (Blue w/ Red stripe).

Am I missing something here, why would I be getting a crank pos. sensor DTC when all I changes was the wiring to the CAS? Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance...

:dsm:

The good news is I'm making progress on getting this thing back out on the road. I pulled up a few wiring diagrams and started chasing power wires from the sensor plugs to the ECU checking continuity. Heres what I found...

ECU connector B-53 has (3) power wires coming out of it (pins 12, 16, & 25) but pin 16 goes straight to the boost gauge so its irrelevant since its a "no start" and I could give a shit at this point if my boost gauge is working. When I got this harness it was used of course and had all the emissions/fps/wgs removed but realized while I was looking at the wiring diagram the power wire that goes to these things also connects to the CAS, CPS, IAC/ISC, MFI relay, fuel injector resistor box, o2 sensors, and the MAF.

First I tested continuity from the ISC/IAC (Pin 2/5) to the MAF (Pin 4), CPS (Pin 3), CAS (Pin 3), front o2 sensor (Pin 1), and the resistor box (Pin 3) and everything checked GOOD.
I dug back into the wiring diagram and realized that the main power wire leaving the ECU supplying 12v to everything in the engine bay is connected straight to the Injector Resistor Box (Pin 3) and then branches out to all the other sensors... I then tested continuity from the injector resistor box (Pin 3) to the ECU (Pins 12 & 25) and got nothing, it was reading open.

For whatever reason the 12v power wire from the Injector Resistor Box to the ECU is cut thus causing all this headache. After work today I'm going to fix this mess and see if she'll turn on... Looking at the diagram it makes sense as to why I'm getting fuel because the power wire going to the MFI relay is tapped into the 12v wire coming off of pin 25 of the ECU before it makes its way to the injector relay box.

This will be the last time I buy a used wiring harness that's been cut up for no reason...

***RESOLVED***

I soldered a wire to the power wires coming out of pins 12 & 25 and then connected it to the power wire going into the injector resistor harness (pin 3) and the car started right up without any problems...

IF YOU NEED A WIRING DIAGRAM SHOOT ME A PM BUT THIS PROBLEM IS FIXED

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back