The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Deepest Sounding Catback Exhaust???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2g-gst

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 28, 2004
Riverside, California
Hey whats up yall!!!

Well its finally time to get my exhaust upgrade after getting my 97 gst about a month ago. I've been reading alot on all of the different brands trying to get some insight on all of them. One last thing I want to know before purchasing is who do you guys think makes the deepest sounding exhaust? I know there will probably be a numerous amount of opinions which is why I will ask you to please back up your answer with a soundclip if you can. Thanks a bunch!!!

ive got the N1 on my N/T and i know they are louder on the n/t, but my friend has the n1 on his GST and it sounds ncie and deep. but i love my N1 and am planning on goin witht eh 3 inch N1 when i got turbo.

you want a deep sound get a Thermal R&D, im sorry but the Apexi N1 is NOT a deep sound. The muffler on the Thermal is specifically designed to have a deep sound unlike the stright-through design of japnese exhaust. Oh yea it has a stright tip that looks better than the angled tip of japanese brands :dsm:

DSMSpyder99 said:
you want a deep sound get a Thermal R&D, im sorry but the Apexi N1 is NOT a deep sound. The muffler on the Thermal is specifically designed to have a deep sound unlike the stright-through design of japnese exhaust. Oh yea it has a stright tip that looks better than the angled tip of japanese brands :dsm:

I second that! and I own an N1. :thumb: :thumb:

know where i can find a sound clip at with this exhaust???

Love my thermal, its got deep rumble... but it is not very loud. At least from in the car its not.

I would love to hear what a thermal exhaust sounds like on a 2g gst/gsx. Help if you can...thanx!!!

:p I know this is a noobie question, but I've been looking into exhaust systems and i was wondering if there would be a difference between the Apexi N1 Catback System and just the Apexi N1 Muffler. I know the catback would provide more airflow which allows more power but what about sound? Would you be able to hear the difference? And if I just bought the muffler would it be a direct bolt on or would i have to get it welded on? Thanks

Yes you'll notice the difference with piping and muffler rather than just muffler

No it won't "bolt on"...get it welded...I barely costs anything

Where in Chesapeake???

The thermal is the deepest ive ever heard on a DSM. I knew that before I bought it though. Although now I wish I had something that was quieter...its too deep for me, and reverbs through the cabin. Mix that with a gutted interior and solid motor mounts and it gets loud

-Dallas J

DSMSpyder99 said:
im sorry but the Apexi N1 is NOT a deep sound.

You can apologize all you want, but the N1 does in fact have a deep sound. It may be true that the Thermal is deeper, maybe even WAY deeper, but the N1 is still a deep sound.

mitsuclipsegsx said:
the Buschur is deep i have it, sounds great

i second this motion :thumb: my friend has 3" Buschur all the way back he has alot of motor work done to it but my friend and i were in the garage today listening to it and i had to practically yell just to carry a conversation but it was a very deep tone. and my other friend has a thermal it sounds nice he had one on his old car too. it was a thermal with HRC downpipe and 272's in it and man was it deep and loud at idle it was sweet :D but his new car has a Apexi DP and it makes it weaker sounding i think but Buschur and thermal are also high quality exhausts

bhop said:
You can apologize all you want, but the N1 does in fact have a deep sound. It may be true that the Thermal is deeper, maybe even WAY deeper, but the N1 is still a deep sound.

LoL im not apologizing for nothing peopel who think it is a deep sound are wrong the straight-thur muffler ruins the sounds, it does sound deep for a japanese exhaust though but isnt deep compared to all exhaust systems out there.

Oh yea i know ur on the SoCAL Forums dont forget the valley meet on the 5 :thumb:

DSMSpyder99 said:
LoL im not apologizing for nothing peopel who think it is a deep sound are wrong the straight-thur muffler ruins the sounds, it does sound deep for a japanese exhaust though but isnt deep compared to all exhaust systems out there.

Oh yea i know ur on the SoCAL Forums dont forget the valley meet on the 5 :thumb:

*shrug*.. I dunno, mine sounds deep to me... not the deepest exhaust i've ever heard, but it sure doesn't buzz.

I am fairly confident that the muffler on the Thermal exhaust is made by magnaflow.

The resonators will give you an even lower note in a straight through exhaust system. I had a magnaflow catback on my gsr and it had a very low note. The gsr version includes a resonator.

BTW, my gsr was the guinea pig for the 99+ exhaust for the integra gsr's. I got to spend an entire morning hanging out at magnaflow.

I have not heard an n1 on a turbo dsm yet, but I have never been fond of their setups. Their canisters are too small IMO to dampen sound sufficiently. On other cars I have seen with n1's they are always too loud.

WHat about the HKS Carbon Ti catback exHAUST w/ a downpipe. How deep would that sound? Thats whaat im getting here. :dsm:

I love my magnaflow setup... its got a perfect low tone at idle and a superb sound through the full power band. Ive heard just about all the exhaust setup's out there, and my magnaflow keeps the smile on my face everytime that honda next to me with their "dirt bike" sounding exhaust setup doesnt want to race all the sudden cuz' I rev'ed my car up once at the light. :p

speedytalon said:
I love my magnaflow setup... its got a perfect low tone at idle and a superb sound through the full power band. Ive heard just about all the exhaust setup's out there, and my magnaflow keeps the smile on my face everytime that honda next to me with their "dirt bike" sounding exhaust setup doesnt want to race all the sudden cuz' I rev'ed my car up once at the light. :p

Ill agree. On a 1G my 3 inch RNR with a magnaflow was alot deeper than N1. I have nver heard a Thermal in person so I cant say, but the Magnaflow sounds GREAT.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back