The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1g TB to 2g TPS question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmakado

15+ Year Contributor
May 7, 2004
Capistrano Beach, California
we have the TB on the car and now we are just trying to set the TPS. it is the 2g TPS by the way. we have the voltmeter to check for continuity and we tightened the TPS bolt down where it changes from 0 to infinite. then we checked the voltage between terminals 2 and 4 with the key in the on position and get 0 volts? we also get zero volts between terminals 1 and 4? WTF? this TPS worked fine on the car 2 days ago? what are we doing wrong?
*edit* this is all being done with a piece of paper folded in half 4 times for a feeler gauge (from RRE's website)

If your not getting the 5v sensor power to the TPS on pin 1 you need to make sure that its showing up at the MAF (pin 1), and other sensors before you start digging. I hope you didn't short the sensor power while you were working. Pin 81 on the ECU provides 5v for the sensors.

Sounds like you adjusted the TPS correctly (assuming thats the right thickness using the paper. four folds of normal printer paper here was 0.015").

Steve

The sensor is getting power. So you find the point of continuity on the sensor between pins 3 and 4(4 being the ground).....then you are supposed to check for voltage between pins 2 and 4, but how can there be any voltage at the sensor when the only way to check those pins is with the harness unplugged? I hope that made sense....I've been through this so many times tonight, I'm starting to confuse myself.

Thanks
Mitch

There are two ways that I can think of right now to check the voltage without using a special connector like the dealer does. And yes you have to plug the connector in first to measure the voltage.

If you have a logger just check the TPS %. 100% would be 5v and 10% is 0.5v. If you see 10% or so your golden and can send me a few beers.
If you don't have a logger just take a thin bare wire and work in between the insulation and the silicone seal until it hits the terminal on pin 1. Measure between it and ground. This is how I used to measure my TPS on my 1G prelogger.

All you doing at this point is making sure the TPS isn't foobar, the actual voltage could be anywhere between 0.4 and 1v and be in spec. If it's not and you have adjusted the IPS part of the TPS like you said then the TPS is bad.

Steve

Third way :) Two jumper clips to connect pins 1 and 4 between the TPS and harness. (this is kind of what the dealer special tool does.

Pin 1 is just the power, correct? So as long as the harness has power to the end, that is not an issue. The issue is checking the voltage at pin 2.....does the harness have to be connected for that to read correctly?

Thanks
mitch

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back