The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

BOV leaks during vacuum idling,is this normal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakes97gs

10+ Year Contributor
May 29, 2012
West Bend, Wisconsin
Hey guys, I have a ebay type rs bov and i was trying to make sure its adjusted right as it was set very soft, as i was adjusting i decided to let the car idle and make sure the valve is closed during vacuum as i read it should be, but when i popped off my recirculation hose i noticed that the valve is blowing out air that i could feel on my hand. during regular idle in vacuum it was blowing air, if i adjusted the valve softer it got a little worse but if I hardened the setting even all the way it still blew air at idle. is this normal or should i be getting a new bov? i have it set somewhere in the middle right now for driving and it doesn't seem to act strange, but its most likely been like this the entire time i've owned the car and with the mods i have my car has always ran a little funny. Thanks in advance for any help :)

Where you or the previous owner went wrong was buying aftermarket performance parts off ebay... The only thing you "should" get off there is exhaust simply because its just a pipe..

However, you should be getting a new one.. A stock 1g unit is a quality part and could probably be had from a junk yard or craiglslist for cheap. Check out some venders and buy a quality part..

thanks for the advice, previous owner was at fault for buying the ebay bov but i suppose im just as bad for not replacing it :rolleyes:, but to be clear my blow off valve is shot and it should not be blowing air at vacuum? thanks

It wouldn't hurt to pull it off and see if there's anything obstructing the seal or making the valve not move properly before you replace it. When I pulled my Type S to do the single spring mod I was surprised how dirty it was.

I thought it was normal for some bov's to leak a little at idle. Thats why its important to recirculate. I know for a fact the synapse bov opens at idle.

The bypass valve should not be open at idle.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back