Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2012, 09:31 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 26
2G-specific

mpi/mfi relay wiring question / also rad fan

hello to everyone, not really a newbie but to the site i am.. i have done alot of looking around.. but here is what im looking for..

i have a 97 talon.. 97 ecu.. 95 engine harness..

the 95 engine harness for mpi/mfi relay is one plug comes with the same amount of wires and each wire color is different and has its own meaning now the harness does not have a plug on it just the wires.. i have the original 97 relays with the plugs on them and wires off them.. i dont need to know from the ecu pin out.. but from the plugs off the mpi/mfi relay themselves.. what each color wires represents and go to what wire so i can wire the harness together.. 8 wires

95 harness has 8 wires all different colors besides 2 red/black wires

97 harness has 8 wires all different colors besides 2 red/black wires the same
2 black/white wires the same

i believe the red/black wires are a fuse link so they go together

the 95 has a black/blue - black/red - black white
the 97 has 1 black/blue - 2 black/white

others wires are color coded to match each other.. just want to double check that i can wire those wires that color match to each other to each other

also im about to wire some slim fans up.. i read the thread on how to do this.. my question to it since i cant reply to it is..

there are 4 wires that come off each plug, 2 off the slim fans..
positives get tied to positives,
negs get tied to neds,

the oem are 3 step fans

and once the relay kicks on regardless the slim fans will kick on

now the a/c fan.. will this ever kick on since i deleted a/c
can i wire the fans off of the rad fan wiring and not use the a/c wiring so that my the rad fan will turn on both fans and i dont have to turn on the a/c at all for teh a/c fan to kick on? did this make sense?

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:56 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Probationary Member

No one knows?

Old 05-30-2012, 06:10 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Probationary Member

? Anyone

Old 06-07-2012, 02:51 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Question

? no one has a clue.. all i need to know is the two black wires with white strips.. on the 97 harness go to what black and colored stripes on the 95 harness

Old 06-12-2012, 03:54 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Okay.. All I need to know is... 97 harness.. Two black wires white stripe... 95 harness.. One black wire white harness.. One black wire red stripe... What goes to which

Old 06-12-2012, 05:59 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 6,107
Photos: 3
Classifieds Rating: 0
The MFI and FP relays are combined into one unit (of 2 internal relays) in the 95 (8 pin). They are separate relays in the 96-99 (each 4 pin).

On the 96-99, the 2 black-white wires are the FP relay power input coming from ignition switch.

For 95 see: fuel pump power mpi/mfi relay issue.
View photos of this member's car 

Old 06-13-2012, 03:52 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Probationary Member

So on 95 the black with White strip is fuel pump power input.. The black with red stripe is mfi power input.... On the 97 both black with white stripe wires are for fuel pump? So I can just wire them to either wire and it wouldn't make a difference?

Old 06-13-2012, 05:36 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

In the link I gave for the 95, Steve's labeling may be confusing. When he says input or output he is refering to the relay's input or output. So the black with white strip is fuel pump power input to the FP relay (which is from ignition switch) - not power to the FP. Power to the FP is the black-blue (which he calls Fuel Pump Power output meaning the relay's output).

On the 95 the black with red stripe is mfi power input to the mfi relay. The power to the mfi are the 2 reds (MFI Power output from the relay).

On the 97 both black with white stripe wires are inputs to the FP relay (from ignition switch). The FP power is the black-blue (which is FP relay output).

The wire colors on both years pretty much have the same meaning. The only difference I see is the 95 FP relay has only 1 black-white for relay input power where the 97 has 2 black-whites. And the 95 mfi relay has 2 reds (although my Mitchells diagrams show pin 3 as a black-red instead of red as Steve shows) for relay output power where the 97 only has 1 red.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:44 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Probationary Member

My 97 harness has to red wires... All colors match up to each besides... What I said... 95 has one black wire red stripe, one black wire white stripe... 97 harness two black wire white stripe... All other wires color match each other...

This wield be an awesome article if this could get figured out.. Which wire from 95 harnes to 97 harness goes together to wrap this up... I've seen alot of people talk about it but no answer.. I had to do this cause previous owner had hacked the shit out of the 97 original harness... Only harness I could get is a 95 harness which this plug is the only difference... Cause the 95 had the one plug relay.. Well this just happen to be one of two plugs missing from this harness which also I already had the original 97 relays that I know work.. So I cut the plugs off the 97 so I could use the original relays.. Now is the problem of figuring out which goes to which

Last edited by jooc; 06-14-2012 at 03:49 AM. Reason: Auto-merged with previous post to prevent "bumping" within a 24 hour period Tips on avoiding the auto-merge feature - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_bumping

Old 04-14-2013, 01:26 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 196
Photos: 43
Classifieds Rating: 8
I was wondering if you ever resolved what wire goes to what wire

Old 10-18-2013, 11:40 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 691
Photos: 44
Classifieds Rating: 1
I need to know too, my mfi relay is bad and I want to wire in my own relay...4 wires go to what pins 87,30,86,85

Old 10-18-2013, 03:47 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2GEEZEY View Post
I need to know too, my mfi relay is bad and I want to wire in my own relay...4 wires go to what pins 87,30,86,85
The two large red/black go to pins 30 and 86, doesn't matter which to which. The all red goes to pin 87. The blue/green goes to pin 85.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:20 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 691
Photos: 44
Classifieds Rating: 1
thanks so much, turns out I didn't need to re wire one, im still trying to diagnose a no start sorry for bringing up the old thread