Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2012, 06:46 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 815
Classifieds Rating: 0

fuel tank vent / breather question

The charcoal / emissions canister has been deleted from my car, but the hardline that used to go to it, which is the fuel tank vent, still has this small plastic piece hose clamped to the tip of the hardline, I don't think it's a breather, but I'm not sure what it is, it looks like what used to be there for the canister, right next to the hardline for the fuel filter.

Should I take it off to vent better? Still not sure what a breather is or if I can buy one at a car parts store?

I'll post a pic on here later today to show the weird plastic piece I'm talking about.

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:07 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 30
Classifieds Rating: 1
A "breather" is a small filter that you can get at just about any parts store. From what i have read you should def vent your fuel tank just not in the engine bay for safety reasons. Also there is no real gain to getting rid of the charcoal canister so it might be easier to just replace it with one from a donor car.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:30 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)

Tech Posts: 3,447
Photos: 41
Classifieds Rating: 5
If the 2g setup is the same as the 1g, then that hard plastic piece is a check valve for the vent/emissions system. No one has come up with a perfect system for the fuel tank vent line with a removed charcoal canister/vacuum source. Most people, myself included, just route that line out of the engine bay and leave it at that.

Visit 9!'clipseDOHC's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 01-09-2012, 08:52 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9!'clipseDOHC View Post
If the 2g setup is the same as the 1g, then that hard plastic piece is a check valve for the vent/emissions system. No one has come up with a perfect system for the fuel tank vent line with a removed charcoal canister/vacuum source. Most people, myself included, just route that line out of the engine bay and leave it at that.
This is also something I was wondering about, so some people just bend the hardline back, under the car? Just to get it out of the engine bay? Doesn't seem like it would really get in the way of anything, just seems the canister just gets in the way so I'd rather just leave it out.

Does anybody know if I need a different intake pipe if you don't have a canister?? Since a tube leads from the canister to the turbo's intake pipe??

Old 01-09-2012, 09:04 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,301
Photos: 2
Classifieds Rating: 29
Reputation: ed1380 is extremely helpful and trustworthyed1380 is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Just plug intake pipe when the charcoal canister connected.
View photos of this member's car 

Old 01-09-2012, 09:18 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)

Tech Posts: 3,447
Photos: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Gina2G View Post
This is also something I was wondering about, so some people just bend the hardline back, under the car? Just to get it out of the engine bay? Doesn't seem like it would really get in the way of anything, just seems the canister just gets in the way so I'd rather just leave it out.

Does anybody know if I need a different intake pipe if you don't have a canister?? Since a tube leads from the canister to the turbo's intake pipe??
On mine I just added another vacuum line to route the vent line out by the passenger wheel. It's just to keep any fumes from the tank from filling up the engine bay or making their way into the cab. As stated just cap that line on your intake pipe.

Visit 9!'clipseDOHC's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 01-09-2012, 10:22 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed1380 View Post
Just plug intake pipe when the charcoal canister connected.
I think you meant to say, with the canistaer disconnected correct?

Should rubber hose caps be fine for the intake pipe?

Old 07-18-2013, 10:39 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 110
Photos: 6
Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I've also been debating on what to do with my breather line.

Can you route the breather hose (after the check valve) to your intake or intake manifold?

Old 07-18-2013, 11:07 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Supporting Freelancer

Tech Posts: 1,585
Photos: 12
Classified Ads: 1
Classifieds Rating: 37
im not sure what everyone does now, but i just have a random PVC check valve that allows air in but not out of that vent line and i never smell fuel

Visit black_gst's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 07-18-2013, 01:48 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,432
Photos: 6
Classified Ads: 2
Classifieds Rating: 37
Send a message via AIM to Spoolin98
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_gst View Post
im not sure what everyone does now, but i just have a random PVC check valve that allows air in but not out of that vent line and i never smell fuel
Isnt the purpose of the vent line to allow air out?

Old 07-18-2013, 01:54 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 197
Photos: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin98 View Post
Isnt the purpose of the vent line to allow air out?
That's what I thought too. I think he has his check valve backwards.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:20 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 386
Photos: 2
Classified Ads: 1
The purpose is to prevent excess pressure in the tank from the buildup of vapors. Have a check valve only allow air in is simply no better than just plugging the hard line. I routed mine into my passenger side wheel well. Zip tied it to my trans cooler with a little fuel filter on the end to keep dust out.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:48 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 125
Classifieds Rating: 1
In europe car (Apart from VW/AUDI/SEAT) it is usual to find a Pitsburg valve connected to wot pedal, to let the intake suck the vapour from the tank.

It is very common to find this on Opel cars, wich is a brand of the GM group.