The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

weigh reduction!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1995 gst

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 22, 2011
boulder, Colorado
I have started a weigh reduction on my 1g laser rs awd. So far ive taken out the front crash bar, the rear windshield wiper assembly with fluids. spare tire with jack and all that.

Thats the only things ive done and the car weighed 2960 today with me out of it.

what elts can i do besides air conditioning? i plan on doing it soon and what kind of loss will the ac give? how much does it weigh?

if your going to race your 1g take off rears seats n passenger seats. but theres no reason why you should try to reduce the weight of your dsm unless your going to race it.
if you remove the a/c remove the a/c condenser as well that should allow more air to pass by your radiator.

Obviously you can strip out the interior and cut out or unbolt the brackets that hold the interior parts in place.

I see you're in Colorado, I would keep the heater, if only to defog your windows.

There is also a lot of sound deadening underneath the factory carpet, probably at least 10lbs. You can remove it with dry ice like this:

1. Buy six or seven pounds of dry ice
2. Crush it up into smaller pieces
3. Spread it all over the floor, you can use plastic bags to get it to stay on the trans tunnel
4. Wait 5 minutes or so and then start wacking away with a rubber mallet, the stuff will break apart and come right up for the most part.

my dd is gutted no carpet no back seat nothing just the metal of the car and two front seats LOL. I love it dont get me wrong the car is a lot louder but it grows on you. I also have no ac. I kept the back wiper because that things does come in handy. The heater works just fine with the ac taken out. Also no ac eguals hot summers LOL

Thanks everyone so helpful, and yes im keeping the heater for darn sure. the back seats weigh only 1.113 pounds there all foam and can lift them with my pinky so im just going to keep that. as for anything elts. I did take out the rear wiper it doesnt come in handy for me that often, i kept rear defroster. I am mostly just setting a goal of 2700 pounds not just for speed but better gas mileage ect. All your help is great!

Wow those lasers are light. My 92 gsx auto was 3120 with out me in it.

You shouldnt have a problem reaching your goal and not touching your interior. Theres dead weight everywhere.

Lasers = light because most were made without all of the 'options' that the Talon and Eclipse came with. ;)

Getting rid of that sound deadening will chop of a few lbs as well.

i took out my ac and power steering at the same time and saved 60+ lbs but the man rack weight 14lbs, and the rear crash bar was 35lbs, i also put 2g seat belts in and took the dumb auto belts out that witch was 25+lbs hope that helps

i really wana take out the rear crash bar but the crash bar is what holds the bumper on so if i took it out my bottom wouldnt be held on.

Not true, there's about 10 screws under your tail lights 3 screws in each wheel well, and 2 screws in the sides were the red light are

take out the a/c,back seats go carbon fiber on hood truck doors finders go with buckit seats

I just started my journey with my latest DSM and I'm going thru this again, but I'm keeping it a true street car with A/C, haven't decided on PS yet though.

Last time I went to the track I removed rear seats the passenger seat spare tire and the carpet. Obviously made a difference but the sound was unbearable.

i took out my ac and power steering at the same time and saved 60+ lbs but the man rack weight 14lbs, and the rear crash bar was 35lbs, i also put 2g seat belts in and took the dumb auto belts out that witch was 25+lbs hope that helps

HOW DID U DO THIS???? Much custom work involved? sry for thread jacking, I hit my head on those things idk how many times...:banghead: LOL

just a wonder i know the crash bars weigh a lot but why not swap to a lighter one just incase of an accident? or are the chassis strong enough to take the hit?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back