The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

What wire do I ground to set timing on a 1G?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hestman

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 26, 2010
Barberton, Ohio
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

This Is the wire I think Im supposed to ground to set the timing properly. It comes off the same part of the wiring harness that goes to the coil pack and power transister. But when I ground it my TDC mark is still jumping around everywhere when I put my timing light on it. It never fires in the same spot?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nope, thats not it.

Its near the firewall on the passenger's side. Give me one sec and ill find a pic.

Nope, thats not it.

Its near the firewall on the passenger's side. Give me one sec and ill find a pic.

Does it have a small connector piece that you can pull off to get to it? If so I grounded a wire like that and it almost stalled my car LOL. Of course I have the timing CAS turned pretty far clockwise to help it start it seems. I have another thread I started about reading the CEL. Sorry if I wasnt supposed to do that I just have ONLY today off to work on my car and its my dd. Borrowing moms car sucks :banghead:

Does it have a small connector piece that you can pull off to get to it? If so I grounded a wire like that and it almost stalled my car LOL. Of course I have the timing CAS turned pretty far clockwise to help it start it seems. I have another thread I started about reading the CEL. Sorry if I wasnt supposed to do that I just have ONLY today off to work on my car and its my dd. Borrowing moms car sucks :banghead:

Its got a plug connected to nothing, it's just a weather seal.

Inside its got two little prongs, a plastic and a metal i believe, it's been awhile since i looked at it because it's one click on DSMlink.

If it almost stalled, thats probably the right connector. Take a pic and i can tell you

The two dots that are touching behind the battery...it's the one on the right

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Okay so this is how I have it grounded set up. It changed the idle when I hooked it up. I read on the vfaq that your supposed to have the car off when you hook it up so I turned the key off unhooked it, then hooked it back up, and the timing mark still jumps around everywhere? Whats going on?

I have my battery relocated to the trunk, ac eliminated, ps eliminated, IAC eliminated. And I cant think what else LOL but I have a ton of room.

Ok, thats the correct connector.

If you have a buddy to help you, start the car, put the timing light on with it idleing normally, and then connect it. Let us know if the timing stabilizes.

Trying to find someone now. Have to connect my timing light to my alternator for power btw bc my battery is in the trunk. I did Have a battery charger on it still while it was running I wonder if this could affect it? Probably not bc its only supposed to pulse on the #1 cylinder plug wire.

Okay got the problem fixed LOL. I feel stupid saying this but after I found the ground wire I was just using my timing light wrong. I got the one from autozone thats like $100 or so and I was holding the lightbulb button wrong. I hit the advance button and it started working perfectly. I set it to 5-6 BTDC then realized my ground clip came undone on the plug. I plugged it in and it was almost exactly firing at TDC. So I set it up tightened everything down and the car is in good working order. Thank you for all your help guys I really appreciate it.

I set it to 5-6 BTDC then realized my ground clip came undone on the plug. I plugged it in and it was almost exactly firing at TDC. So I set it up tightened everything down and the car is in good working order. Thank you for all your help guys I really appreciate it.

You need to clarify here.

Base timing, with the clip grounded should be 5 BTDC. If it's firing at TDC when the clip is grounded you're running 5 degrees less timing than you should be.

This won't hurt anything, but the car will not make the power it should.

Base timing, with the clip grounded should be 5 BTDC. If it's firing at TDC when the clip is grounded you're running 5 degrees less timing than you should be.

This won't hurt anything, but the car will not make the power it should.

Thanks for the PM!! And Yes when I said I "Plugged it in" I should have said I "Grounded it". Sorry for the confusion but I set it to 5-6 BDTC with the wire grounded. The car is much much easier to start but still a big pain when cold. The fuel has been sitting in it since November I just put 5 gallons of 93 in it as it was starting to run low. It seems the battery will die before I can get it running and I need a battery charger on constantly. I cant drive it to school like this though I keep the battery charger and jumper cables with me at all times LOL.

The IAC is completely blocked off. Thats how the car came. I really dont wanna hook the coolant lines back up as itd be a pain to take the throttle body on and off but I found this.

FFWD Connection - Race Injuns That Will Freeze Your Brain

Scroll down to the bypass plate. Its only $15. Any reviews about this or how it works? Would I still need to gasket it or anything to seal it? On his site it seems like you dont need to. Just wondering if anyone had any experience with this and if it would help at all thank you.

If he had left the timing light set to 0 advance (just like an non-adjustable one) the timing mark would have lined up at 5* BTDC. Since the light was adjusted to offset firing the strobe you use the TDC mark instead.

Okay LOL my bad again.

With the wire grounded, the light set to 0 deg advance I set it to 5 deg BTDC. With the light set to advance 5 deg it would fire on TDC. Its all good thank you guys!! :thumb:

The IAC is completely blocked off. Thats how the car came. I really dont wanna hook the coolant lines back up as itd be a pain to take the throttle body on and off but I found this.
FFWD Connection - Race Injuns That Will Freeze Your Brain
Scroll down to the bypass plate. Its only $15. Any reviews about this or how it works? Would I still need to gasket it or anything to seal it? On his site it seems like you dont need to. Just wondering if anyone had any experience with this and if it would help at all thank you.

Take a look at this read. I think it has a lot of information you could use.:)

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-intake-exhaust/391977-free-fiav-block.html

whats the name of that wire in the first post?? where does it connect??

I've never taken that one off but it's the right general area for the AC clutch.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back