Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2010, 03:33 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: 2003 EVO VIII/2007 ZX6R
Tech Posts: 336
Photos: 17
Classifieds Rating: 0
Send a message via AIM to xXEclipse

Radiator is Emptying but no leaks..Any ideas?

I had a leak from one of my hoses which recently got fixed. Now the car is over heating and all my water/coolant is gone. When the car is running and there is water in the reservoir it is bubbling i dont know if its boiling or just pumping but thats whats happening, then after a while it just drains but there is nothing coming out from underneath at least not visible. Any ideas what the problem can be?

View photos of this member's car 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:36 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,381
Photos: 37
Classifieds Rating: 2
Reputation: Jeff99GS is extremely helpful and trustworthyJeff99GS is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Head gasket is bad

Old 11-14-2010, 03:40 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Car: 2003 Lancer Evolution VIII GSR
Tech Posts: 1,776
Photos: 20
Classifieds Rating: 3
Reputation: GsXdSmKingGsX is extremely helpful and trustworthyGsXdSmKingGsX is extremely helpful and trustworthy
If your coolant is disappearing your head gasket is more than likely gone my friend. Does your oil look milky at all?

Old 11-14-2010, 03:48 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 6,590
Classifieds Rating: 29
Send a message via AIM to LiquidX
Check your coolant fill cap too. Discoloration in the coolant?

97 ṰŠlΩИ ṰƧɨ Λ₩ƿ

Old 11-14-2010, 03:59 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Tech Posts: 2,433
Photos: 12
Classified Ads: 2
Classifieds Rating: 22
Reputation: XiKeiyaZI is extremely helpful and trustworthyXiKeiyaZI is extremely helpful and trustworthyXiKeiyaZI is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to XiKeiyaZI
This does not always mean a bad head gasket. There are several things that can cause this issue.

1 : Check your coolant reservoir. These are known to leak. Pull it out, blow into the top. If there are any pinholes, you'll know.
2 : A bad turbo with a bad seal/cracked coolant passage can cause this. It will blow coolant, burn it, or blast it into the coolant system which will cause the overfill to flow out.
3 : A bad heater core.
4 : Bad lines, leaking in places you can't easily see.
5 : Your coolant cap could be bad, allowing the coolant to either spill out, or it would not allow pressure to build up and the coolant will simply evaporate.

Your best bet is to pressure test your coolant system. Then do a compression test, a leak down test, and check the above noted things before you set off to pull the head. It's always best to start small and work your way up only to find out that when you pull the head that it was a cracked reservoir.

Is it burning any smoke? What color? Is there a sweet smell when you drive your car? Is your oil an odd color? Details.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:50 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 324
Photos: 3
Classifieds Rating: 11
Send a message via Yahoo to tazndrew04
theres alot of things that can cause your radiator to loose coolant,i agree with XIKeiyaZI

Old 11-14-2010, 06:46 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

You would have a lot more issues if you were loosing coolant internally through the turbo. It'll get into the oil before any thing else.

97 ṰŠlΩИ ṰƧɨ Λ₩ƿ

Old 11-14-2010, 07:17 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

No discoloration in oil, no milkiness.. No loss in power, If the coolant reservoir was cracked wouldn't the radiator still have the water/coolant i filled it with? Also a pressure test was done and water leaked from my thermostat housing hoses but when the car is on/driving thats not leaking(i think i would see it)? Theres no smoke and no i dont think theres a sweet smell..

Old 11-14-2010, 07:30 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Reputation: XiKeiyaZI is extremely helpful and trustworthyXiKeiyaZI is extremely helpful and trustworthyXiKeiyaZI is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXEclipse View Post
No discoloration in oil, no milkiness.. No loss in power, If the coolant reservoir was cracked wouldn't the radiator still have the water/coolant i filled it with? Also a pressure test was done and water leaked from my thermostat housing hoses but when the car is on/driving thats not leaking(i think i would see it)? Theres no smoke and no i dont think theres a sweet smell..
Remember that when you're driving and the hotter the car gets/the longer it runs, everything get's pressurized. I'd replace those hoses where they're leaking...that shouldn't even be questioned.

As far as losing coolant via the Turbo, I have a friend with a GST that this happened to. All that happened is he was burning coolant under boost. No null effects on his engine, just a bad turbo. Swapped the turbo and it was all fine. He didn't know where the coolant was going either until I followed him one day and he made a quick pull.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:09 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Kei, perhaps he had a different setup on his turbo than what I'm thinking of. AFAIK the coolant passages in a turbo are surrounded by oil. If a crack occurred it would leak into the oil first which would be noticeable very quickly.

I did find this picture however and it could be possible that there might be a heat crack behind the heat shield (behind the turbine). How it would form I couldn't say.

97 ṰŠlΩИ ṰƧɨ Λ₩ƿ

Old 11-14-2010, 10:31 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,563
Photos: 14
Classifieds Rating: 11
Reputation: RoasT BeeF is extremely helpful and trustworthyRoasT BeeF is extremely helpful and trustworthyRoasT BeeF is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to RoasT BeeF
It sounds like a head gasket problem to me. You might be pushing coolant. This happens mainly when under boost. The head lifts enough to let compression from the cylinder escape into the coolant passages and "push" coolant out the overflow bottle while you're driving down the road. Car eventually starts to overheat so you pull over and find there is no coolant and no signs of a leak.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:43 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Car: 1G Awd
Tech Posts: 2,156
Photos: 9
Reputation: MY1GDSM is extremely helpful and trustworthyMY1GDSM is extremely helpful and trustworthyMY1GDSM is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Do a Leak-down Test... .If you have the means to. It might not be obvious but if your pushing coolant and your coolant is full you may see air bubbles in the coolant although I wouldn't rule it out it you don't. But you could get an Idea what shape your motor is in if anything(IE it's just coolant leak not Lifted head)

Edit: Did you do a pressure test of the radiator ? or a Leak down test? Sounds like if you did a pressure test(on the Radiator) you may have your awnser...

Remote Tuning, Ecu Flashing and Custom Chip Services
MY1GDSM@Tuningservices.net
Visit MY1GDSM's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 11-15-2010, 03:25 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,381
Photos: 37
Classifieds Rating: 2
Reputation: Jeff99GS is extremely helpful and trustworthyJeff99GS is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoasT BeeF View Post
It sounds like a head gasket problem to me. You might be pushing coolant. This happens mainly when under boost. The head lifts enough to let compression from the cylinder escape into the coolant passages and "push" coolant out the overflow bottle while you're driving down the road. Car eventually starts to overheat so you pull over and find there is no coolant and no signs of a leak.
EXACTLY! if the coolant reservoir is bubbling, it is caused by cylinder pressure being forced into the cooling system via a lifting or leaking head gasket. So in this CASE the FIRST thing I would suspect is the HG. That is why I didn't mention anything else in the cooling system. You can replace all that other garbage...but you will just end up wasting more money. You dont always have to have milky oil/coolant with a bad HG.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:32 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff99GS View Post
EXACTLY! if the coolant reservoir is bubbling, it is caused by cylinder pressure being forced into the cooling system via a lifting or leaking head gasket. So in this CASE the FIRST thing I would suspect is the HG. That is why I didn't mention anything else in the cooling system. You can replace all that other garbage...but you will just end up wasting more money. You dont always have to have milky oil/coolant with a bad HG.
This is mostly true, however, the HG is not the only culprit that causes this. Again, if it is blowing coolant via the turbo it will cause this. I've seen it first hand. In fact I can likely go get a video of it sometime soon. Not saying that the HG is NOT the problem, I'm just stating that it's POSSIBLE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiQUiDx View Post
Kei, perhaps he had a different setup on his turbo than what I'm thinking of. AFAIK the coolant passages in a turbo are surrounded by oil. If a crack occurred it would leak into the oil first which would be noticeable very quickly.

I did find this picture however and it could be possible that there might be a heat crack behind the heat shield (behind the turbine). How it would form I couldn't say.
That's very interesting. I'm saving this cut-away without question. Leave it to you to dig something like this up.

While it does look improbable, you can't rule it out. We've all seen weird things happen with these vehicles, haven't we? The only reason that I'd suggest this is if I knew there were proof, and I've seen it first hand. HG was good, no coolant in oil, and it very lightly smoked on idle. At Boost it would blow coolant. Ripped out the turbo, slapped a new one on, problem fixed. I'll see if I can get ahold of that buddy and ask if I can take his turbo apart and try to research it a bit and snap some pictures.

Just for clarity's sake.. this was on a Stock T-25.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:54 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 197
Interesting thread... mine was doing the same thing. Coolant disappears, overhears, no coolant in the oil... no visible leaks.

-Raffi

Old 11-15-2010, 11:20 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 260
Photos: 16
I hope to see where this goes, I have a different car that has the same issue with the coolant boiling in the over flow.
I hope your issue is something small and is an easy fix. Good luck. Hope your back up and running soon.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:33 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
Proven Member

Also I forgot to add, i filled the car, drove it... It was fine, i boosted about 10 and the car felt normal as usual. No leaking when i checked besides a little overflow from filling the resrvoir too much. There was still water though when i got home.. When i woke up the next morning, the reservoir and Radiator were empty, Maybe im just not seeing the leak? Does this rule out the HG?

Old 11-15-2010, 11:37 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 38
Send a message via Yahoo to mike_tsi
We had a similiar problem with the reservior and antifreeze being empty. Finally we switched the coolant cap and it seems to be fixed so far.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:18 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #19 (permalink)
Supporting Member

So, just to clarify, even if you've already stated it above. Is the car smoking at all?

Old 11-15-2010, 02:38 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #20 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 20
i had the same issue it is a head gasket sad to say.