The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Radiator is Emptying but no leaks..Any ideas?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xXEclipse

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 30, 2010
Montrose, California
I had a leak from one of my hoses which recently got fixed. Now the car is over heating and all my water/coolant is gone. When the car is running and there is water in the reservoir it is bubbling i dont know if its boiling or just pumping but thats whats happening, then after a while it just drains but there is nothing coming out from underneath at least not visible. Any ideas what the problem can be?

Not~ entirely.

I've dealt with this one 2 vehicles so far, and I still don't know what causes it. The first time was on my GSX, the second time was on this GST that I have. At first it was pretty bad, I'd lose a reservoir a day. Compression and leakdown test proved nothing to be wrong. No bubbles in the coolant cap when the car was running, nothing. I replaced the reservoir, the rubber lines leading to the turbo, and a few other things and it stopped. Then one day it did it again....then it went away...and I haven't seen it happen since. Oil looks good, coolant looks good, filters look pristine... So who really knows?

What we need to determine at this point, though, is if you're going to be pulling the head....but if it comes down to it then we'll just have to suggest that you do that and inspect your head gasket.

Er.. yeah. That's a good way to destroy your engine. It can get you home, but that's about it. It's about the same as dumping a can of pepper in your radiator. Does the same thing, not good for the internals.

im going with the head gasket......

just pressurize your cylinders with air from a compressor and take the radiator cap to see if any bubbles appear if none then move to the next cylinder...

When you are adding coolant to it do you properly burp the system?

Seriously! If the rad. was full when you checked it and you didn't drive the car but it was still empty the next morning, It has to be leaking out somewhere, put a sheet of plastic under the car.

Also think about it, If that much coolant got into your cylinders overnight, It would hydrolock the engine. just sayin!

I had a leak from one of my hoses which recently got fixed. Now the car is over heating and all my water/coolant is gone. When the car is running and there is water in the reservoir it is bubbling i don't know if its boiling or just pumping but thats whats happening, then after a while it just drains but there is nothing coming out from underneath at least not visible. Any ideas what the problem can be?

HEADGASKET! If you were overheating before this you could have warped the head.
Also a pressure test was done and water leaked from my thermostat housing hoses but when the car is on/driving thats not leaking(i think i would see it)?
I'd look into this more... .It's probably the only chance that you don't have a blown H/G But I'm confused first you say a hose was fixed then you say ones leaking?but see no leak?

Also I forgot to add, i filled the car, drove it... It was fine, i boosted about 10 and the car felt normal as usual. No leaking when i checked besides a little overflow from filling the reservoir too much. There was still water though when i got home.. When i woke up the next morning, the reservoir and Radiator were empty, Maybe I'm just not seeing the leak? Does this rule out the HG?
How long of a drive? It could have easily been "pushing"(IE being replaced with air) out while driving then Looked full
Then after cooling down sucked up what was being push into the overflow

Doesn't it leaking while the engine is not running rule out head gasket? =/
NO besides haven't you said you don't see anything leaking?But you say you had leak when pressurizing the system?

Nothing your saying is that consistent Just do a Damb leakdown test and get back to us after

Seriously! If the rad. was full when you checked it and you didn't drive the car but it was still empty the next morning, It has to be leaking out somewhere, put a sheet of plastic under the car.
Not sure but I would imagine since he's in Cali and has been losing so much he's been adding just Water(IE not the the noticeable)
I'd say if it's dry out put out cardboard if anything...
Also think about it, If that much coolant got into your cylinders overnight, It would hydrolock the engine. just sayin!

Don't think anyone said they thought it was getting into the cylinders:confused:

I'd look into this more... .It's probably the only chance that you don't have a blown H/G.

Again, this isn't entirely the truth. I mean it's more than likely a possibility that he's just pushing air from the compression strokes through the coolant system... but again this doesn't 100% point to a head gasket. Again, I have seen this happen in regards to a bad turbo.

Again, this isn't entirely the truth. I mean it's more than likely a possibility that he's just pushing air from the compression strokes through the coolant system... but again this doesn't 100% point to a head gasket. Again, I have seen this happen in regards to a bad turbo.

Bottom line is he should do a leakdown test to rule it out...

Which I said a long time ago, and this is getting dragged on... If anything it's a very useful $35 tool.

Annnnd a leakdown test has been recommended several times. As well as a coolant pressure test and various other things which will ultimately lead to the conclusion of the problem which is far more beneficial than just yanking the head off and being disappointed to find that the HG was perfect.

When your clutch pedal falls to the floor, do you drop your transmission without testing your hydrolic pressure to the slave cylinder?

We're here to provide direction towards finding the source of the problem, not to cause anyone to spend more money than they have to.

Don't think anyone said they thought it was getting into the cylinders:confused:

After the car is Shut off it is no longer producing air pressure. The pressure in the radiator will now cause the fluid to flow into where the leak is in this headgasket theory. The OP said there is no mixing of fluid in his oil...so tell me then where else is it going? still confused....

OH! I get it...Its leaking back into the coolant, right!:tease:

After the car is Shut off it is no longer producing air pressure. The pressure in the radiator will now cause the fluid to flow into where the leak is in this headgasket theory. The OP said there is no mixing of fluid in his oil...so tell me then where else is it going? still confused....

OH! I get it...Its leaking back into the coolant, right!:tease:
:aha:
You'd have to have a large leak for that to happen the pressure of coolant is going to have a lot harder time passing back into the cylinder then the VERY high pressure caused by the combustion proses and is going to find a easier route out via the radiator cap...

Annnnd a leakdown test has been recommended several times. As well as a coolant pressure test and various other things which will ultimately lead to the conclusion of the problem which is far more beneficial than just yanking the head off and being disappointed to find that the HG was perfect.

But Obviously the OP has yet too... Hence why I said again to do it to rule it out.

Did I say rip the head off? NO

When your clutch pedal falls to the floor, do you drop your transmission without testing your hydrolic pressure to the slave cylinder?
Nice analogy their
But, No I also don't get on forms ask people what to do and then not take their advice and continue to ask the same quetions...

We're here to provide direction towards finding the source of the problem, not to cause anyone to spend more money than they have to.

Spending $35 on a Tool the anyone that works on cars would find invaluable and will likely get there moneys use out of(IE not having to pull a Head?)I'd hardly call that causing anyone to spend more money than they have to.

Not sure what your trying to get at but All this back in forth is starting to get off-topic and rather pointless

If you want to help with a something try offering advice Like ( Take your Coolant lines off and cap them off ) not trying to call some one out that only trying to help:thumb:

You'd have to have a large leak for that to happen the pressure of coolant is going to have a lot harder time passing back into the cylinder then the VERY high pressure caused by the combustion proses and is going to find a easier route out via the radiator cap...

That is incorrect! Once the car is shut off the pressure in the cylinder will vent before the pressure in the radiator which the cap stops venting at 13 lbs by the way, the fluid would go into the cylinder eventually...He said the car was off...I don't think its even the HG, he wouldn't be losing thay much water Unless it was a really big leak Like you said....Which would hydrolock the engine like I said...I am done debating this....The OP need to clearly follow all the advice given here..and get back to us with some clear results....

Indeed. Leakdown is what's needed. Stop tossing around "it's a headgasket!" before the leakdown test is done. -facepalm-

。◕‿‿◕。 Thank you, come again.

Indeed. Leakdown is what's needed. Stop tossing around "it's a headgasket!" before the leakdown test is done. -facepalm-

。◕‿‿◕。 Thank you, come again.
Really?:nono:I Never said "it's a headgasket!":applause:
Sorry but don't try to take what I said out of context
I was giving an answer to a question...
I had a leak from one of my hoses which recently got fixed. Now the car is over heating and all my water/coolant is gone. When the car is running and there is water in the reservoir it is bubbling i don't know if its boiling or just pumping but thats whats happening, then after a while it just drains but there is nothing coming out from underneath at least not visible. Any ideas what the problem can be?

I don't know what your issue is And could really care less. But Even if I did say that WTF It fit's what's going on:confused: so If you wanna be */# About it why don't you worry about what your saying and not what I am:thumb:

More boost=More power, No More airflow=More power

Your posts make as much sense as your signature:rolleyes:

I'm so sick off this kinda crap this is why it's so hard for Newbs(or anyone sometimes) on here to find a strait answer.
You've gotta sift through 50 post of BS and then They don't even know what's the right info or not. theirs countless threads about Shit like this...
Instead of just saying Hey read this OP an posting a link or being an A$s an say search, I posted. Next time I'll link to a thread somewhere were everyone managed not to Pull the I'm right, Your wrong, do this, don't do this. B.s.

And yet again this is getting taken Off Topic...
Your agreeing yet still disagreeing it's all really pointless As said before me STOP it

Like everyone says, try collecting as much information by leak-down testing and compression testing the cylinders first. You said you had overheated the car to begin with, correct? To me, when an engine overheats, troubleshooting starts with the most vital organ, being the engine itself, to make sure there hasn't been any serious damage. The proper way to test and diagnose would be step by step, taking basic and least expensive approaches one at a time. As much cold troubleshooting [with the engine off] should be performed before any work with the engine on, to decrease potentially damaging anything more.

As said before, it should be a no-brainer to first replace the lines leading to your thermostat housing, to eliminate that possibility. This is a KNOWN issue and should be mitigated accordingly.

After letting it sit a night, before cold starting, it may be worth it to take out the spark plugs and check to see if there's any coolant in there. While it's sitting, you should lay some plastic or poster paper or whatever is available and reasonable, underneath your car, to possibly identify where it may be leaking.
When you start the car, is any white smoke coming out of your exhaust? These may help eliminate the idea that coolant is getting in your cylinders and we can leave that topic alone. If there is, this would be a definite sign that your gasket may be blown. You should do a compression test, and if they are inconsistent, I would say it would be reasonable to get the head checked for warping, and replace some gaskets. It's unfeasable to say that this is would be the only source for losing coolant, but from the way you say that the engine acted, is it a certain possibilitythat you could have blown the head gasket.

Now, I'm not too certain (and correct me if I'm wrong) but the if you disable boost (disconnecting the wastegate) then will coolant still circulate to cool it? So would it be possible to disconnect this or plug the coolant to the turbo overnight, to see if this is the source of the leak?

And redundantly, if you haven't done so yet, definitely do a leak-down test. Like everyone else says, these are inexpensive but necessary tools for any tuner or mechanic.

I hope that this helps. Fellow DSM-ers, please let me know if I'm wrong anywhere in my views on this. No real reason to get pissed off; this is in fact a forum.

And just to hop on the bandwagon...

IT'S THE HEADGASKET!

JK! that one's for you, Keiya :D

Really?:nono:I Never said "it's a headgasket!":applause:
Sorry but don't try to take what I said out of context
I was giving an answer to a question...

Ya know? I've been trying to be more casual lately.. but it seems you just want to start arguments?

1 : Stop trying to single someone out. If you'd use the rattling rocks in your head and trace the signals being sent through your optic nerves you'd PLAINLY see that there are several people chanting "headgasket!", likely not even reading what has already been stated. Do you REALLY think I care about you enough to direct everything I say towards you? Frankly.. No.

2 : You should try to ninja-edit and get rid of evidence before you quote a single word or term and say you've never uttered it.

This would insinuate "It's a headgasket!"

Now, please.. post helpful information and quit trying to cause a shit storm.

OP needs to perform the tests that were listed on the first page and reply. We should really see no other replies until then as they will simply be useless.

Ya know? I've been trying to be more casual lately.. but it seems you just want to start arguments?

1 : Stop trying to single someone out. If you'd use the rattling rocks in your head and trace the signals being sent through your optic nerves you'd PLAINLY see that there are several people chanting "headgasket!", likely not even reading what has already been stated. Do you REALLY think I care about you enough to direct everything I say toward you? Frankly.. No.

2 : You should try to ninja-edit and get rid of evidence before you quote a single word or term and say you've never uttered it.

This would insinuate "It's a headgasket!"

Now, please.. post helpful information and quit trying to cause a shit storm.

OP needs to perform the tests that were listed on the first page and reply. We should really see no other replies until then as they will simply be useless.
Maybe you just don't get it...
Maybe Your reading comprehension sucks, IDK

If your not trying to direct a comment at one individual Clarify what your saying...with something like "You all need to" there's no way I can see anyone else would have thought differant then that... If so well My Bad
Either way, So you weren't trying to quote me me. Oh well... . Why get butt hurt over it then?

I've posted helpful info...and not the one who has Continued to Argue and yet try and agree with what people are saying at the same time .

For the Last time JUST DROP IT!
If you Can't well Your the Jack ass the Needs to use the rattling rocks in your head and trace the signals being sent through your optic nerves.

Guaranteed leaky HG. Mine was doing the exact same thing. Once at full temp, the coolant starts leaking out of the overflow. It gradually gets worse.

This is a possibility, but I wouldn't jump to conclusions. As earlier posted, if this was the only source of the leak, it probably wouldn't be leaking so much coolant. I've had several coolant issues identical to this, each and all with their own different prognosis.

In any troubleshooting job, there should be a defined ideal diagram to follow. Everyone has different way of doing this, and as much as we'd like to force our ideas on the OP to do this, they are all only instructions, tips, and possibilities, as to what the source of the problem is. There's no sense in getting worked up about it; this is in fact, a forum. :p

ive been dealing with this issue for about a month now. car would only overheat at WOT which is a sign of a bad HG. once i replaced all my hoses, the thermostat, radiator cap, did a proper coolant/water mix and added water wetter i NEVER overheated ever again. not even at WOT.

i did however still have a bubbling reservoir after a hard drive. i opened up the reservoir while it was still bubbling and it stopped. its not like it was boiling cause it was hot or nothing, it was more like blowing thru a straw into some water and bubbling it. the hose that goes into the reservoir was shooting out hot steam with alot of pressure.

This does not always mean a bad head gasket. There are several things that can cause this issue.

2 : A bad turbo with a bad seal/cracked coolant passage can cause this. It will blow coolant, burn it, or blast it into the coolant system which will cause the overfill to flow out.

I BELIEVE THIS!

my car since then has started to feel slower then it used to be. i read some place that changing to 10w30 mobil 1 synthetic will burn and smoke due to it being thin enough to go thru a turbo with bad seals. i had changed to mobil 1 and it smoked WHITE (which is water/coolant burning) one time at idle AFTER the 1st drive with the new oil. never smoked again. i have a feeling my turbo is pretty shot.
IF NOT, i look forward to replacing my HG reeeeaal soon. :|

So WTF is the problem?!? What did you find out xxeclipse? I mean damn. All this advice and no progress? I have same problem, but is burning oil (white) but was doing this before overheating...

Anyways, I REALLY would like to know what the source of problem is.

PLEASE NOT A BLOWN HG!!!!!!!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back