Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2010, 07:05 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 305
Photos: 5
Classifieds Rating: 4
Send a message via MSN to davidalindsey Send a message via Yahoo to davidalindsey
photo

Waste gate Solenoid and bosst control?

As I just got my 98 GST I am doing the Stage 0 upgrade path and I got a problem with step 7, Removing the BCS Restrictor.
Well not so much the Restrictor but the lines that go to and from the solenoid are missing. The waste gate selenoid is just sitting there with no lines hooked up to it.
The line from the wastegate is connected straight to the j-pipe. Is there any adverse affects with this?
I plan on getting some hose later and routing them to factory spec, is it okay to drive they way it is hooked up now?
Also I found this in the car it looks to be some kind of boost controller, I have'nt seen one like this. is it missing a piece? I would not know how to adjust it...
Thanks.

Ha just realized I miss spelled boost, man i'm tired.

View photos of this member's car 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:21 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 6,590
Classifieds Rating: 29
Send a message via AIM to LiquidX
Everything is fine the way it's hooked up. The picture you posted doesn't appear to be a MBC but it does have a flow direction however.

97 ṰŠlΩИ ṰƧɨ Λ₩ƿ

Old 01-26-2010, 07:25 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Send a message via MSN to davidalindsey Send a message via Yahoo to davidalindsey
Maybe its just a tee? On the back side it says "Arrow points towards wastegate actuator".

Old 01-26-2010, 07:26 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Timeslip: 13.629 @ 99.970
Tech Posts: 1,036
Photos: 34
Classifieds Rating: 2
Its fine to drive without it hooked up, the wastegate actuator will control the boost (I think its 7psi on a stock T25) with the BCS you would get a few more psi. The BCS was probably disconnected because someone had a manual boost controller installed before. That boost controller looks like its missing the knob. If you plan on getting a new boost controller you will not need to re connect the BCS.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:28 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 104
Classifieds Rating: 0
having the wastegate actuator connected straight to a boost source(j-pipe,the way you have it now) will only allow as much boost the stock wastegate spring will allow.In the first pic,the part with the white arrow is a boost controller,seems to be missing the knob to adjust boost,the part next to it looks to be your stock boost control solenoid,since you have a 2g,you should reinstall(just the wires) it to avoid getting a check engine light,if you don't have one already.

edit: ack,synthetek beat me to it

Old 01-26-2010, 07:31 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 379
Classifieds Rating: 1
The purpose of the BCS is to bleed off some of the boost pressure, raising the amount of boost it takes to open the wastegate. When the ECU hears too much knock, it closes off the BCS, to lower the boost. Without the BCS installed you are stuck at the stock pressure of the wastegate, which is only ~7psi. You really need to get your manual boost controller installed so you can put the boost back up where it belongs.
Visit jeffo's homepage! 

Old 01-26-2010, 07:36 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Oh okay, thanks guys. I will get some emission hose from advance auto parts tomorrow and just route the lines to factory spec for now. I dont trust using the red thing cause I see no way of adjusting it.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:41 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

As we all stated, you don't need to run the BCS at all, just get a new MBC and put it at 14psi after you get a boost gauge.

97 ṰŠlΩИ ṰƧɨ Λ₩ƿ

Old 01-27-2010, 05:04 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

UPDATE:
I Removed the BCS restrictor and hooked up some lines to factory spec.
The car holds 100KPA/14PSI to red line.
If I get a MBC how much boost can I run safety?
I was looking at a HALLMAN PRO KIT from STM, are they any good?

Old 01-27-2010, 07:09 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

15psi without upgrading fuel.

97 ṰŠlΩИ ṰƧɨ Λ₩ƿ

Old 01-27-2010, 08:39 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Thats it... Well It would'nt do me much now to get a boost controller then.