The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Why is one spark plug black

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsmfreak95

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 22, 2008
jackson, Tennessee
I was checking my spark plugs the other day and I noticed that the 3rd one( from left to right) was kind of black, and the other three looked good. I have a dynatek coil on plug set. I was wondering what's going on. I've also been haveing a problem with the car sputtering. Could the third coil be going bad or what?? Ive really only had the one the car about 8-9 months. Any help would be great. Thanks

Post a pic if you can. It could mean different things. Could be carbon from that cylinder running too rich, or it could be oil from leaking valve seals. A pic would help greatly. Either way, whatever is causing this is likely causing your sputtering problem

Since your car is sputtering, I would suggest checking compression on that cylinder, ohm out the injector and check the coil packs resistance as well. Injectors should be between 2-3ohms. If you let me know what kind of coils you are have I can get you the specs on them as well. Definitely sounds like that cylinder is misfiring for whatever reason.

Post a pic if you can. It could mean different things. Could be carbon from that cylinder running too rich, or it could be oil from leaking valve seals. A pic would help greatly. Either way, whatever is causing this is likely causing your sputtering problem

I'll try and post one this afternoon, I don't think it's running rich though because the plug didn't smell like gas.

doesn't have to smell like gas. If it is just a little rich it will get carbon build up. If it was rich enought to smell like gas, then it would like be completely fouled and wouldn't fire at all. Then you would have a constant miss.

Since your car is sputtering, I would suggest checking compression on that cylinder, ohm out the injector and check the coil packs resistance as well. Injectors should be between 2-3ohms. If you let me know what kind of coils you are have I can get you the specs on them as well. Definitely sounds like that cylinder is misfiring for whatever reason.

X2. i had a headgasket pushing an ever so slight amount of water into one cylinder and the plug was black as night. Dry as a bone, just enough to blow the spark out. Could also be a sticky injector, but start with a compression test. If that cyl is lower than the other ones, you know where the problems lying then.

Depends on what exactly is causing the issue with the plug.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back