The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2g Ball Joint Lower Lateral Control Arm Recall [ merged ]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

97dsmbishi

20+ Year Contributor
Apr 9, 2002
Miami_FL_but_stationed_in_Montgomery_AL
All 2g ball joint recall threads are merged here.

guys just called dealership about transfercase recall...they said i didn't have any on my model, but the ball joint on the front suspension set did. anyone have any info on this? i'm getting mine replaced on tuesday, can't beat it since they will do the install for free. just a heads up guys, hope this is useful!
phil

Yea that recall came out a long time ago. Basically the ball joint would separate causing the tire to collapse into the car.

Maybe this is a silly question but if you have a GS why were you asking about the transfer case recall?

Joe

I had the ball joint recall done the "First Time" and they just looked at it and said it was ok. Then I got another recall notice in the mail a few months later took it back again and this time they replaced them. Jackass dealers.

Later,

Yea the ball joint likes to come out of its socket!!! It happened to me while I was driving!!!!!! I was only going 5mph, but still, it sucked!
I had to replace it myself b/c the nearest dealer was 50miles and I wasn't paying shipping! The screwed up thing is my new lower control arm BJ is now loose again. They haven't fixed the things, just keep putting us in them!

Yeah, the SAME THING just happened to me earlier tonight! I was leaving my neighborhood when I heard a LOUD scrape. Then my car wouldn't move. I got out and my lower ball joint was completely separated!!!!!! I am still VERY PISSED OFF!!!!!!! I had taken it to the dealer for the recall and they said that everything was fine. YEAH RIGHT..what a CROCK of Sh**!!!!!! I am gonna curse someone out first thing in the morning! Stupid dealerships! I HAAAAAAATE them!!!

First of all, its not the dealerships fault. If your balljoints tested bad I know for a fact the mechanic would have replaced them. Its the easiest 2.2 hour warranty job out there (GRAVY). In the recall are supposed to check for play in the B/J, anything more than .04 on the dial indicator and it gets replaced. A couple of times the ball joint has been seized in the lower control arm and not measured out of spec. Seized until they hit a big pothole or something, then it seperates:( . If your balljoint seperates before or after you had them check it out, the warranty rep. will cover replacement & any resulting damage.

Regardless of what you seem to think Chrysler Corp., "NOT THE WARRANTY REP", is going to repair my vehicle. The warranty on my car has been LONG GONE. I have 124,000 current miles. I got it checked when I had 80K on there. So you can see how long ago this was. They informed that even though it checked out "O.K" earlier it did not mean that they would not replace it if something happened later. Things don't always go wrong or SHOW it when you take them to the dealership or mechanic the first time. As long as it was a recall then the dealership as well as Chrysler Corp. are responsible for the repair.

hmm.. I just brought my 2g into the local mitsu dealer and they replaced the two lower arms, no questions asked. I guess I got lucky. Cost of parts was 68 bux for both pieces. That's with no discount. I'm sure you can get them a lot cheaper from discount dealers and do the replacement yourself. I hate dropping my car off at the dealer. I hate letting other people work on my cars.

Originally posted by talontsi1996
Regardless of what you seem to think Chrysler Corp., "NOT THE WARRANTY REP", is going to repair my vehicle. The warranty on my car has been LONG GONE. I have 124,000 current miles. I got it checked when I had 80K on there. So you can see how long ago this was.

We have had 3 of these instances and all three had to be cleared by the warranty rep. It has nothing to do with your cars warranty or how many miles you have on it. All work done at no CUSTOMER cost, has to be cleared through him.

Only AWD cars have transfer cases. You have no worries with your RS ;)

When I had my ball joints done, both were replaced at no cost to me, no questions asked. It's a recall - if they're charging you money for it, they're screwing you over. Also, my dealer said that they have to replace them no matter the condition, as they may fail in the future. If your dealership refuses to do this, once again, they're ripping you off.

heh...my car got taken to the shop tuesday to get the ball joints replaced, didnt take long, then i decided to have the t-belt, tensioner and water pump changed. i though ok, 700 bucks, whatever. then i find out im leaking oil from the crank case and a few other places, so now im looking at 1700-2000 bucks in repairs. hey, there go my plans for turbo! :(

I just got this message in the mail. 01/02/2003"Manufacturer recall issued
on Lower Arm Ball Joint
on Aspirator Switch"

What is it and how will it effect my car?

If you have a 2G, then yes, I think it is the ball joint recall. Get it done for free before your wheels fold up on you on the highway.

Well I notice my car shakes like a mofo at 80 mph after I got a 4 wheel alignment, but they also said I had a crushed right rear rod and the wheel was turned in a bit, does this got something to do with the ball joint?

I believe the recall is only for the front ball joints. The joint seal rips and allows dirt in which wears away the joint to the point that it can pop apart. If you have a bent rear rod, it is giving your car to much rear toe in. Rear toe-in on just one side is the probably the cause for your vibrations, you should get it replaced because it will also wear your tire.

this might of been covered...might of read over it...

I'm takin my talon to the dealer in the morning, (transfer case recall)so i was wondering if the 1G also have this ball joint recall... thanks guys
(is there ne other recall i should know about?... The use in asking the dealer... they "didn't see" a transfer case recall in the computer untill i broke it down for them . and showed them i knew what i was talkin about.... so again thanks for the help guys

I have a friend who has a 97 GS-T Spyder, which is the exact same year and make of my car. He said when he went to the dealership not long ago they replaced some part to do with the steering for free under a recall. I've looked at recall lists and do not remember seeing one on my car. Does anybody know if this is a valid recall or if they were just doing him a favor?

probably just helping him out, otherwise the exact recall would be listed all over the place. However it may be worth looking into, have you talked to your local dealership? Call and ask them if they have a current list of recalls they should help you out.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back