The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Dashlights don't work after installing head unit..

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L0ckett

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 12, 2009
Hanover, Pennsylvania
I installed a new head unit in my 2g and now my dash lights won't work. I noticed yesterday on the wiring harness for the head unit that it doesn't have the orange wire for illumination to complete that circuit but it's on the harness made for the car. Is there anywhere I can tap the wire to get my lights working again?

I ran into this same exact issue a few years back, somehow, after my head unit was installed it caused my dimmer switch to burn up and not be able to complete the circuit for my dash lights.

I had to end up grounding a wire on the harness that connected to the cigarette lighter bulb.

It sounds crazy but this must have bypassed the dimmer switch and made everything work again.

PM me if youve got any questions. This has been like this in my car for the past 2 years.

I don't think your problem is with the head unit... The orange wire that comes from the car side harness is an output to the radio, signaling that you've turned on the head lights. Check your fuses... always a good place to start with electrical diagnosis...

Sounds like your rheostat (dimmer switch) I think they run about $90 from the dealership, assuming that the price hasn't gone up... just make sure that you terminate that orange wire (crimp cap, lots of electrical tape, etc) before putting it back in the car... it probably touched ground and fried your dimmer switch...

Okay I'll check into the dimmer switch. Thank god for warranties, haha. When we were installing the unit two yellow wires did touch and cut off the lights but that just blew a fuse. I replaced it and it worked for a little bit and then the lights died again.

if its just your dash lights not working check the dimmer switch, if its your running lights i.e. tails, side markers, & dash lights then its a wire shorted to ground and you might have a lot of wire chasing ahead.

:dsm:

Luckily enough it's just the dash lights. All the other lights on the dash work with the exception of the CEL. My brake lights and all other lights are working so I'm going to go ahead and say it's the dimmer switch. I'll take it to the dealership and have it taken care of. Thanks for you help guys!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back