Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2008, 04:47 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: WideBody Eterna
Tech Posts: 123
Photos: 12
Classifieds Rating: 0

Supercharged 4g63

might be a long shot, but has anyone supercharged their 4g63 N/A and have a modded base map for a VR4 Eprom'd ECU (for a supercharger)? running stock 450's and 1g maf?

Last edited by Defiant; 12-13-2008 at 05:54 AM.
Visit JayRome's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 04:59 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,368
Photos: 10
Classifieds Rating: 7
There are a few supercharged 4g63's around. I don't think anyone has a "base map" per say, but you could probably use a turbo ecu. Although the timing map for a 1g is very aggressive. I'd advice wiring in the knock sensor if you do so. By VR4 I assume you mean the Galant and not the 3KGT / Stealth correct?

*edit* after rereading your post, I have some more to add. Forced induction (supercharged or turbo'd) share the same principals, so in turn, a turbo ecu should handle the blower just fine. What setup do you have? Do you have a logger?
View photos of this member's car 

Old 12-12-2008, 05:05 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

yes sorry, E39A VR4 Galant..

i am running the full VR4 set up minus the turbo... its been doing fine for a while now, just want to pull a little more power out of it, before i drop a completely different engine in this project..

edit: setup
Hi comp N/A (close to 11:1)
eaton M45 from a C200 Komprossor
4-1 tuned length extractors
Vr4 ECU (can be eprom'd)
450cc's
1g Maf

onlything is that the supercharger boosts soo early, the VR4 ecu hasn't been able to compinsate for fuel at lower RPM's.. so i can hear slight pinging which i have adjusted Via an SAFC2, but it can only go so far... and no, i have yet to build a logger for this car, i'm waiting on the carputer for that...

Old 12-12-2008, 06:22 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 237
Classifieds Rating: 2
Send a message via ICQ to Kastigir Send a message via AIM to Kastigir Send a message via MSN to Kastigir
Outside of how they make boost, both applications are similar. Your normal turbo ECU should be fine, might need minor modifications. I know a guy that has a VW Corrado G60. His SC fried so he went out and got him a comparable turbo. IIRC, it required very little tweaking to run hard.

Old 12-12-2008, 06:34 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 225
Photos: 1
engine management such as dsmlink shouldn't have a problem tuning with a supercharged application.

Old 12-12-2008, 06:36 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Do you have a 1:1 FPR on the car? You could (as a temporary band aid, although I don't recommend it) pull back the base timing a couple degree's.

Old 12-12-2008, 06:47 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 464
Classifieds Rating: 9
Send a message via AIM to 97 4G63
I don't want to jack up this thread but why would anybody want a super charger?? over a turbo
More torque?

Old 12-12-2008, 06:57 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Send a message via ICQ to Kastigir Send a message via AIM to Kastigir Send a message via MSN to Kastigir
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 4G63 View Post
I don't want to jack up this thread but why would anybody want a super charger?? over a turbo
More torque?
Instant boost?

Old 12-12-2008, 07:54 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kastigir View Post
Instant boost?
thats correct!

in saying that i get about 4psi from idle and 8psi from 1.8krpm

everyone in australia seems to have a huge turbo attached to a 4g63 (well thats on my cordia anyway)... so i thought why the hell not, build a supercharged hi comp 4g63...

works pritty well actually, and considering my car is set up for cornering, you dont really have to rev out the engine to get power.. in saying that i get 11lt/100km fuel economy with start stop city everyday driving.. so no complaints.

i have an Malpassi FPR currently set to 48PSI under load, i am also maxed out on neg timing on the CAS. its all holding up pritty well soo far and its been a few months now..

it was Dyno'd when i first built it, but the old ECU didnt like the boost and tiny injectors so it ping'd off its nut.. although in saying that i did get a safe 57kw at 38% throttle.. with the VR4 stuff in i havent had time to get it tuned and dyno'd once again...

i will have more look into the DSM link, was also thinking of shoving a 6G72TT in the project but i want to see how much a supercharged N/A will make before it blows lol...

Old 12-13-2008, 03:22 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 225
Photos: 1
6g72tt would be savage.

Old 12-13-2008, 03:25 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 226
Classifieds Rating: 4
wow. S/C'd 4g63 is deff. something different

you need to take a video of this

Old 12-13-2008, 04:29 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xreaction122 View Post
wow. S/C'd 4g63 is deff. something different

you need to take a video of this

speaking of that....
when it was N/A
YouTube - Galant GSR Hyper N/A

then N/A with 280 cams
YouTube - Galant GSR new exhaust stage 3 cam

initial installation, first start with supercharger..
YouTube - Supercharged Galant GSR (better camera)

when it was on the dyno.. kinda boring but the sound of the S/C is louder then my exhaust...
YouTube - Supercharged 4G63 Dyno'd

i was honestly half way to making quad throttles before the S/C poped up on ebay..

Last edited by JayRome; 12-13-2008 at 04:34 AM. Reason: i cant spell lol...

Old 12-13-2008, 08:52 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

Can't say I like that idle with 280 cams. Good I learn these things before buying my cams. Is that a Jackson Racing SC?

Old 12-13-2008, 09:18 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Proven Member

Supercharger is off a Mercedes Benz. 280's don't idle like that, the video quality isn't the best.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:49 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

Well, I still don't want a pushrod V8 idle. Think I'll stick with 264/272 setup. I guess all positive displacement SCs look the same.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:19 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 113
Photos: 15
1G-specific

Dude that is freakin sweeeet! Though i love my turbo, that sound of your ride is sick. Thanks for posting this!

Old 12-13-2008, 11:40 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbogst98 View Post
272 lope man
Yes, but not as bad as 280s. I'd love to hear some 272s and 264s. I guess a YouTube search is in my very near future. That car sounded like it was going to die every revolution. I'd rather not have it sounding like that. I've heard Honda B-series engines with the TODA VTEC killers...it too sounded like ass. IMO, small engines don't sound right with huge cams.
this
Now this sounds much better than that 280 clip. Ok, found another with the exact setup I was planning on running.
YouTube - HKS 264/272 cams at idle
After browsing some more YouTube clips, the 280s don't sound as bad as this Galant. Maybe being N/A has something to do with it?

Last edited by Kastigir; 12-13-2008 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Adding vid clips, cleaning up the post.

Old 12-13-2008, 12:02 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: Ram Express
Tech Posts: 501
Classifieds Rating: 10
That Galant is nice. I see you got fabricating skills. I'd like to see what kind of power you make once it's tuned perfectly.

Old 12-13-2008, 12:46 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #19 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by e85_4g63 View Post
Supercharger is off a Mercedes Benz. 280's don't idle like that, the video quality isn't the best.
yer sorry guys its the only way of explaining the cams, they are HKS 272 regrinds with extra lift..... way too much (well built for high RPM).... and yes thats how it sounds like in person... these cams were in an EVO1 and never sounded like this either.... and the Idle speed is at 1.1k RPM with 4-1 long extractors.. i'm currently the only one i know of in Aus that was running that set up so, not really anyone to compare with...

but its now got VR4 cams in it, but will be upgrading back to the 272/280's (what ever the hell they are, probably in between) soon after the tune...

basicly it was a N/A 4g63..
balanced stock internals
racing piston rings etc
crank scraper
no balancers
stock H/G
ARP studs all round
head shaved to max point
ported and polished intake side
port matched 4-1 long extractors
extended oil sump (1lt)
and a few other things i cant remember...

i havent found a 4G that sounds like mine yet...

edit:
this is what the car looks like..

Old 12-13-2008, 01:03 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #20 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 741
Send a message via AIM to GPTourer
Okay, wait. Did you say you are running 11:1 compression with the SC? Could that not be your problem right there? Shouldn't you drop down to something more manageable like 9.0:1 or less to stop the detonation?