Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2008, 03:11 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 259
Photos: 3
Classifieds Rating: 1

Car won't pass inspection! North Carolina

I have a 98 spyder that had code PO420. My rear 02 was in front of the cat(i dont know why) but I replaced it anyways. After I replaced it the light went off and has been off for the last 400 miles. I went to go get it inspected but it failed because of MIL commanded on failed.

I hooked up my logger and there were no codes on or pending. This is a Cali emissions car if that matters or not.

View photos of this member's car 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:12 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 201
Classifieds Rating: 0
Did you ask them WHY it failed? If it gave them a code, they should be able to tell you what it was.

Last edited by Defiant; 05-31-2009 at 11:03 AM.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:49 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 263
Photos: 9
Well I never heard of your rear O2 being infront of the cat there always behind it. That should be why you failed it. Its not getting the right readings
Visit fatherbubble's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 07-08-2008, 07:30 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

The car's o2 sensors have already been relocated in the proper place and the car was no longer throwing codes.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:38 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherbubble View Post
Well I never heard of your rear O2 being infront of the cat there always behind it. That should be why you failed it. Its not getting the right readings

theres a pre and post O2

Old 07-09-2008, 05:12 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

right guys thanks, the o2 sensors ARE IN THE CORRECT PLACE. My question is why is it still failing a MIL?

Old 07-09-2008, 05:24 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 948
Classifieds Rating: 22
Reputation: tsunari is extremely helpful and trustworthytsunari is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via ICQ to tsunari Send a message via AIM to tsunari
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98gsspy View Post
I have a 98 spyder that had code PO420. My rear 02 was in front of the cat(i dont know why) but I replaced it anyways. After I replaced it the light went off and has been off for the last 400 miles. I went to go get it inspected but it failed because of MIL commanded on failed.

I hooked up my logger and there were no codes on or pending. This is a Cali emissions car if that matters or not.
The only thing I can think of is perhaps the CEL bulb has burned out. If it indeed comes on when you first turn the IGN on, then goes out after a few seconds . . . I would suggest remove the negative side of the battery for ~30 seconds to clear anything out of the ECU and try driving around for a few days before testing again.

If there is a problem somewhere in your SRS, those codes will NOT clear by simply removing power. Those need to be cleared from a MUT-II at the dealership.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:25 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: 2013 Infiniti G37X AWD Coupe
Tech Posts: 779
Photos: 14
Reputation: TunaTalon is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toTunaTalon is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toTunaTalon is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toTunaTalon is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98gsspy View Post
I went to go get it inspected but it failed because of MIL commanded on failed.

I hooked up my logger and there were no codes on or pending.
Do you have a 1995 ECU with an older DSMchips?

The 1995 chips have the “MIL bug” which shows that the check engine light should be on even if there are no codes set.

There is a long thread where the Mitsubishi problems with flags are explained and resolved. Please read through the thread from post 91. (http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/prob...#post151429210)

Also see the wiki at OBDII Emissions Testing and the DSM - Dsmwiki which includes a sample e-mail requesting a waiver.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:19 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 22
Starting on 1996 the cars are ob2 so they use two o2 sensors. The upstream sensor is used as an input for fuel trim and the downstream sensor is used to check the cat. Make sure you have both sensors in the right spot because the downstream sensor is slower than the upstream sensor! Check your CAT! The car maybe telling you the CAT is bad.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:29 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

there are no CELs on.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:39 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
DSM N/T Wiseman

Tech Posts: 1,660
Photos: 1
Send a message via AIM to Doug99RS
98GSSpy's car came in to the shop last week after he talked with me about the inspection issues he's been having. I'm both a mechanic and State inspector and somewhat familiar with the procedure so we went ahead and attempted the inspection. The initial attempt resulted in a "No communications" failure. Basically, the DMV computer tries to talk with the ECU/PCM and if it does not the vehicle fails inspection. The second attempt resulted in a "MIL Commanded-On" failure. This basically means the ECU/PCM is telling the DMV computer that the MIL is being commanded on. In the event of a MIL Commanded-On status, the vehicle will fail the OBDII portion because of what it believes is an emissions failure.

In reality what happened is that the MIL bulb works during bulb check and does not stay illuminated despite what the computer BELIEVES is happening. The computer is saying that the light is on but it's not MAKING the light come on. Regardless, the DMV computer doesn't pass a vehicle because of the condition this particular vehicle is exhibiting.

I verified that the data link connector has power and ground which frequently causes this type of issue. Additionally, there were no fault codes stored nor active. This was confirmed by my stand-alone scan tool, the DMV computer reported no codes and 98GSSpy's PDA showed no codes as well.

This same condition was present on numerous Mitsubishi products from the 1996 year model as described in these links below:

http://www.dmvnv.com/pdfforms/ecnews1st03.pdf

AAA - On-Board Diagnostic II Problems

The final solution there seems to be a newer computer with a different software version that either legally allows a bypass of certain inspection steps OR corrects software glitches making the software fully operational. But this does not specifically mention failures of this nature on a 97-99 model year Mitsu. In the later years there seem to be more issues with readiness monitors being set to a "ready" status when the vehicle is being inspected. Some tricks around this problem are turn the car off and then back on really quick or leaving the car running the entire time you inspect it (you're commanded to shut it off at certain points but this causes a reset of the readiness monitors for some reason).

From what I've read, 96 and newer Mitsu electronics prevent reflashing of the ECU to correct much of anything. ALL Chrysler electronics (2gnt's) are reprogramable so you can simply go to the dealer or advanced level repair shop for assistance with your ECU/PCM on those vehicles. 95 year models are not OBDII compliant though they do have numerous OBDII compatible programs and emissions components. 95 is also EEprom and you can reflash them. It may be worth researching DSMLink and some of their OBDII related sections to see if you can set certain criteria to a "ready" or "Don't fail my car" status without having to swap computers in and out each time you're due for inspection.

While I don't have a final solution for this problem I will acknowledge that each station is required to have certain software in place for inspections but they are NOT required to all have the same type of machine. Each machine will have slightly different hardware used for the inspection. Going to a different station may increase your chances of getting your car to pass without "tampering" with anything. Other situations may require ECU/PCM replacement.
Doug

Old 05-29-2009, 10:46 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 2
okay, good news for me, hopefully for you all too. I'm in the same boat. I found a sample email to send to the heads of the DMV in my state(MO) to plea for a waiver. I called DMV to find out who to send it to. They told me to call the state DNR. I called them, they were fully in the loop. Said they had our vehicles registered and known for this. He then, over the phone issued me a waiver which will be waiting at my DMV office, and took my address to send the window sticker to me in the mail. I am now on my way to the DMV to get new plates. done deal, no hassle with Satan. I am happy.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:25 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
DSM N/T Wiseman

Tech Posts: 1,660
Photos: 1
Send a message via AIM to Doug99RS
Thanks for sharing that great news. Hopefully more DMVs will be as helpful as the one you dealt with.