Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2008, 08:54 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 124
Classifieds Rating: 0

oil shooting out of dipstick

Im looking to buy a car from a friend. The car is not running because he is saying that oil is shooting out of the dipstick and the oil got on the alternater and shorted it out. What would be causing the oil to shoot out of the dipstick?

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:00 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 225
Classifieds Rating: 3
If it is a 1G replace the dipstick with a 2G. If it is a 2G then get a hose clamp. Pretty common. Some will tell you this is rings, others will say a good engine blows out a dipstick.
I have wonderful compression and my dipstick would blow out on my 1G so i bought a 2G dipstick. Problem solved.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:08 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,018
Photos: 10
Classifieds Rating: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindsey View Post
If it is a 1G replace the dipstick with a 2G. If it is a 2G then get a hose clamp. Pretty common. Some will tell you this is rings, others will say a good engine blows out a dipstick.
I have wonderful compression and my dipstick would blow out on my 1G so i bought a 2G dipstick. Problem solved.
^^^^^ Good answer
View photos of this member's car 

Old 07-08-2008, 09:09 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 9
i had something like this happen. as i was driving down the highway my car smelt very funny, so i pulled off and there was oil all over on the bottom of my hood. so we bought a 2g dipstick as mentioned above. no problems.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:10 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 225
Classifieds Rating: 3
The only problem I have found with the 2G dipstick is it's plastic. I recently broke mine off. So just be a little more cautious when working around it. At least they are super cheap at the dealer.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:11 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,339
Photos: 10
Classifieds Rating: 11
Reputation: crimsondragon is extremely helpful and trustworthycrimsondragon is extremely helpful and trustworthycrimsondragon is extremely helpful and trustworthy
I would check the PCV valve...replacing a dipstick is not the solution. Your dipstick is blowing out because there's too much pressure in the crankcase.

Kanade: 06 Ninja250

Old 07-08-2008, 09:17 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 59
Photos: 12
Send a message via AIM to mitsu93gsx Send a message via Yahoo to mitsu93gsx
i need a new dip stick what is the part # for a 2g dip stick?

Old 07-08-2008, 09:27 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 90
Photos: 14
Send a message via MSN to SvarO
Also I have friends with fisures on the piston causing the oil diptstick pop out.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:36 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsondragon View Post
I would check the PCV valve...replacing a dipstick is not the solution. Your dipstick is blowing out because there's too much pressure in the crankcase.
period although a badly worn diptsick will blow out under normal conditions.... I just use a small strip of electrical tape... sounds getto but works perfectly

yes need better ventilation or a better seals (rings etc)... wait... do we even have a crankcase breather?

Old 07-08-2008, 10:14 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: 09 Nissan Versa SL
Tech Posts: 1,433
Classifieds Rating: 1
He said the vehicle isnt running. It could also be from having bad rings or a hole in the piston. Take it from me that what I just did. Pretty cool to see the dipstick shoot out about 10 feet in the air.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:50 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

So most likely, if i get a 2G dipstick, it will solve my problem? Also, should i get a new PCV valve?

Thanks guys.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:00 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 49
Classifieds Rating: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 tsi awd View Post
So most likely, if i get a 2G dipstick, it will solve my problem? Also, should i get a new PCV valve?

Thanks guys.
Make sure to replace the alternator before buying the car... start it up and make sure thats the problem. Dont go through all this work for parts and find out it needs a new motor not just a new dipstick/alternator.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:05 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

If you jump the car it will start, but it will die when you take the jumper off of the car. It does start

Old 07-08-2008, 11:14 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 650
Photos: 8
Classifieds Rating: 32
Just before I left back to Iraq my dipstick was popping out & the oil was going everywhere. The oil cap also started leaking as well. My heat shield went on fire from this. I replaced the OEM oil cap with a brand new OEM oil cap and I tied down the dipstick as well. I thought I solved the problem but when I ran it at the track it leaked worse than ever. Any idea's on what is causing this?

Old 07-08-2008, 05:43 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 545
Photos: 2
Classifieds Rating: 25
I had a problem with the dipstick blowing out on my 1g after i had turned the boost up to 20lbs. I traced mine down to the pcv valve was leaking. I ended up solving the problem with a new oem Mitsu pcv valve (don't use a cheap part store replacement, they are junk) and added a check valve in between the pcv valve and manifold. This is what I used: Liquid/Gas Check Valves - US Plastic Corporation
I have not had a problem since.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:50 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 650
Photos: 8
Classifieds Rating: 32
I think I will check that out King, Thanks

Old 07-09-2008, 12:47 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 65
Photos: 2
Classifieds Rating: 2
mine do the same thing, like said before, put a 2g dipstip and no more problem like that