The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

How to fix your oil cap from leaking [Merged 3-8] leak leaky

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

underdogTSI

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 16, 2002
Buffalo_NY
OK, my oil cap seems to leak, and when I take it off with the motor running, it shoots alot of air out, I also had that dip stick problem where it always pops out. I have bent the dip stick tube enough to keep it in there and put in a new pvc but nothing has stopped this...Anybody have this problem or solution?? Thanks.

90% of the dipsticks do that. & 90% of the oil caps leak. i have replaced my oil cap seal 3X in as many years. as far as the dipstick. i crimped the tube that it slides into & it never did it again. trust me these are common problems. nothing big though. don't take the oil cap off while the car is running. :)

I crimped mine too and it stopped that, just wondrering if there was a reason why it was doing that. I read some thing somewhere that it is common, but its caused by something...oh well, thanks anyways.

Originally posted by underdogTSI
I crimped mine too and it stopped that, just wondrering if there was a reason why it was doing that. I read some thing somewhere that it is common, but its caused by something...oh well, thanks anyways.

it sdoes that because of all the pressure. so something has to go. and its the dipstick. yeah funny if you think about it.

A little oil coming from the cap and a nervous dip stick are common problems - nothing to worry about, however alot of oil and alot of pressure behind it may be trouble, such as a blown gasket or cracked block or bad rings ... or other nasty stuff that you really don't want to hear about. The compression in a cylinder may be causing the blow!
I'm not a mechanic ---- so let's hear from some experts. :confused:
... On the bright side, the oil fill cap gasket gets hard after a decade and starts to leak. Try replacing the cap.

Have you ever turned up your boost? If so, then that is the number one cause of the extra pressure causing your puff of air you hear when taking off the oil cap and causing the dip stick to come out.

Usually excessive back pressure is from poor sealing of the rings, but even normal pressure might be too much for an old dipstick. A bad PCV valve can also cause more pressure to build up.

I have a 91 GSX and I had to get the motor rebuilt. Well, I got it last Tuesday and by Saturday I noticed that it was idling rough. I popped the hood to check things out and noticed my valve cover pretty full of oil. I drove the car back from where I was at and felt a huge performance difference. I also noticed lots of smoke coming from the exhaust. Finally, I drove it back to the shop that did the work and on the way there, It was spewing smoke out the tail pipe (Smoke Screen), oil out if the filler cap and the dip stick had popped out.

Are these symptoms of blowby (bad piston rings), or am I being paranoid? :cry:

I've read the threads on the pcv valve & dip stick, but not quite what I was looking for.

Let me know what you think, Thanks in advance.

i have the same problem on my 97 gsx but not to that extent......oil dribbles out from under the oil cap and into valve cover then out the weep hole and onto the belts......screeches like crazy when i start the car in teh morning......stops after a min or 2......i replaced teh oil cap thinking it wasnt makign a good seal or the gasket was bad but that didnt seem to help.......im constantly sopping oil out of the top of the valve cover......any thoughts?

relace valve cover gasket, the 4 plug well gaskets, oil cap gasket and make sur eto tighten you valve cover bolts, but not too tight. i forgot to tighten mine all the way and i was in the same situation as you. but...the oil coming from the tail pipe???? that sounds like a blown turbo. also try replacing the pcv valve and crimping the dipstick tube so it doest blow out.

Originally posted by philipkrotch
relace valve cover gasket, the 4 plug well gaskets, oil cap gasket and make sur eto tighten you valve cover bolts, but not too tight. i forgot to tighten mine all the way and i was in the same situation as you. but...the oil coming from the tail pipe???? that sounds like a blown turbo. also try replacing the pcv valve and crimping the dipstick tube so it doest blow out.

The valve cover gasket is good, it's not leaking oil out of the valve cover, but out of the filler cap and onto the valve cover. It's just smoking out of the exhaust and the turbo is a brand new Evo III 16g from turbochargers.com

well, I too had dat prob and my prob was the pistons themselves. They had cracks and had pieces missing between the rings. Some of the rings were also bad . So, I am doing a complete engine overhaul, w/new pistons/rings. The turbo also MIGHT be bad, but theres a possibility were it might not be bc of a loose piece, I believe its called 'band clamp' was loose, I could turn it w/a screw driver applyin small pressure. So I assume the turbo was part of the problem as well.

There's a chance you may not have let the engine get broken in properly before hammering it. I believe the rings have to have time to seat too. If you are smoking and it's oil it could be either a ring or head gasket, or something else cracked.

the oil filler cap is a notorious issue with dsm...my first gen tsi does the same thing...go to the auto parts store and by gasket material, i bought cork but i recomend going with a different material bc the cork is working good...its just soaking up oil tehn leaking agian....you need to make your own gasket to go on teh oil cap...put as many layer as it takes so that you have to really push down on the cap to get it on...mine worked for a few days and had to put a nother layer on....so...thats the onlly way to fix it, all the caps either have no stock gasket or its bad....just make ur own....cost me about 10$ for a huge roll of gasket material...good luck

matt :talon:

reviving this thread, my oil was spraying out so badly it sprayed all over the underside of the hood into the valve cover adn out the weep hole as well, i dont knwo how to fix this, i've tried gasket material, new cap, and nothing!

similar thing happened to me. get a new pcv valve, theyre cheap, and it just might fix everything. if your turbo is pressurizing your crankcase (leaky pcv valve), dipsticks are gonna fly and your filler gasket wont hold up.

could you mabye do a breif description on how to change the pcv valve and where it is located at. i think that's a great description of what is happeneing also could probably make my valve cover gasket go as well too right? cuz that was leaking a little as well, anyways thanks for the response and if ya could do that that'd be great thanks.

I bought a new oil cap atv Oriley Auto parts and it stopped all my oil filler cap leaking issues. Then it forced my dipstick out on 15PSI boost. So I got a 2G dipstick from the dealer and that fixed it all up.

Works perfect now! :cool:

AWDrift said:
similar thing happened to me. get a new pcv valve, theyre cheap.
That can be a problem. Most of the aftermarket PVC's I've tested didn't seal under boost. Because of this, you need to test each one before putting it in. Apply pressure to the side barbed side and make sure it doesn't leak.

Steve

The problem turned out to be Blowby, that's when the compression gases in the cylinders get by the piston rings. I took my engine apart and rebuilt it and found that the #1 cylinder ring lands had broken. Of course right after I posted this topic the engine would no longer idle properly and I had to raise the idle to about 1500 rpm so it would just stay on. I also did a compression check and found the value of the #1 to be about half that of the other 3 cylinders. But, anyways all is fixed now and No problems till now (knock on wood, or whateva).

I also learned that one shouldn't spray brake cleaner on an alternator even though it does a really good job cleaning, but it tends to eat at the coating on the stator and short out the windings. ( had to fork out another $130 for that )

Yeah...it's leaking oil. So what to do? I replaced the oil cap....fixed the problem for about a month now it's leaking again?
Any of yall had this problem w/ the 6 bolt?
should I just put a new gasket on there?
Should I buy another gasket and slip it on w/ the other gasket????
Please some quick help thanks

james

try replacing the gasket, if that doesn't work put both of em on there. what kind of oil cap did you replace it with?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back