The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Help: Where is my obd1 port? [Merged 9-8]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tamer

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 3, 2004
Kalamazoo, Michigan
So I finally got my logger cable, and I'm all happy that I can now log my car. But I open up under the dash, and there is a !@#$%^&* load of wires going everywhere for a Viper security system the orginal owner installed. I look around like nuts, but I can't find the diagnostic port! It's supposed to be right next to the fuse box, but it's not, it's just gone. I guess they removed it. And I really do think it's gone since when I took it to a shop to check the Check Engine light, they also told me they couldn't find it. So what are my options? Can I buy a port and hook it up?

Thanks,
Tamer

Wow that really, really sucks man. You can always goto vfaq.com and look up the pin #s and just manually hook up your logger wires that way...but its still going to be a pain to unwire everything once you are done logging.

Do you have the number to the original owner?

I would give him a cal and see if he can point you in the right direction.

No, I don't have the number of the original owner, only the guy I bought it from...This really pisses my off, because I REALLY LOVE my car, yeah it has a lot of miles, but the interior is like new, and the car runs great, I'd hate for something like this to make me call it quits on this project, but I'd also hate to spend $500 to get this fixed. I'll look into the vfaq thing...I might just have to unwire this security system (total PITA, I'll snap a few pictures tomorrow)...Anyways, thanks for the ideas...

Tamer

The vfaq site has the pin readouts for the ECU harness, not the OBD diagnostic port. To determine which whire goes where is going to be a real pain. I think the Haynes/Chilton manual may have the wiring scheme however (with the colors) but I'm not totally 100% sure.
Someone on here can just take a picture of their harness (with the wire colors) and that might serve to guide you.

Sorry for my ignorance (I'm new to cars, used to bikes) but what does CEL stand for? Check Engine Light, if so, the light is on...

Tamer

I took some pictures of the fuse box today...it seems like it is missing. It should be right under the white box/clips..correct?

Tamer

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 2,102
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 1,643
most of the ports to plug in are on the other side, by your right knee under the dash, thats where mine is on my 2g, for a 1g id think they would be in the same spot? :confused:

Nah, on a 1g it's on the driver side of the foot well. Follow that black wire loom in the bottom right of your picture and see where that goes - I can only see it's looped behind the fuse box in your pictures. On my car, my diagnostic port has a very similar looking black wire loom holding all the wires that go to it.

Yes it was that black wire. I feel kinda dumb, but hey, with all that extra crap in the way (you should have seen it before I snapped the pictures) it makes it kinda hard....Checked the Check Engine Light...looks like I need a new knock sensor...

Thanks,
Tamer

Hi,

I just transplanted 4g63t to my car and just realised that the diagnostic port is missing. So i can't connect my datalogger to it.

Is there anyway I can buy a similar diagnostic port connector and wire up the necessary wires from the ECU so that I can get my datalogger to work on it again?

I don't want to make you sound retarded but you do know where its supposed to be right?

It is right next to the fuse panel and it should have a rubber cap on it.

If you don't look hard enough you'll miss it!

No seriously, it wasn't there next to the fuse box down below the driver side.

Obviously the wiring for the engine doesn't come complete with it. So I need you guys help here.

Pins 1 and 2 on the ECU connector and ground are what you want to bring out to what ever connector you decide to use. Pin 1 is the data line and pin 2 is the mode select line. When pin 2 is grounded the ECU is in diagnostic mode and talks to the datalogger.

Steve

Hi steve,

thanks for the great info!
But one question, how do I make sure PIN 2 is grounded?

In the 24 PIN connector on the ECU, which PIN number is the GROUND for the PIN 2? I see two GROUND PINS from the ECU diagram at this site:

http://4g6xclub.siamindustry.com/vr4ecu.htm

PIN 17 and PIN 24. Which one is it?

Both 17 and 24 are sensor grounds and tied together.
I'd use pin 101 or 106 or the chassis for the ground.

If you have a Diagnostic Link Connector (DLC) available, pin 1 on it runs to pin 1 on the ECU, pin 10 on the DLC to pin 2, pin 12 on the DLC goes to the chassis to provide a handy ground pin at the DLC. The datalogger or MUT cable usually picks up the ground from pin 12 and uses it to pull pin 10 low (pin 2 on the ECU) as well as providing the return path for the data line.

Steve

Ok, I am pretty clear with the PIN connection from ECU to the DLC connector but where is PIN 101 and PIN 106?

killab443 said:
I was wondering were to find the port on a 90 taln awd

It's right beside your fuse box. Typically has a black piece of rubber covering it.

Mine was tucked up behind the fusebox... knew it was supposed to be there, so LIGHTLY tugged wires until I found the ones with slack, and the connector fell out from behind. Apparently there's a bump 'holster' it's supposed to rest in, but the last mechanic to use it just pushed it behind the box.
And yeah, black rubber dust cover.

Drove my current mechanic nuts trying to find it to diagnose a CEL. :)

Which pins are for what? Im trying to hook my logger back up but its been a while and i dont have the instructions. The pins are something like this

1 | x
x | x
x | 2
x | 3
x | 4

I thought 1 was ground 2 was mode and 4 was data.. I have a b2klogger an i hook the black to 1 the white to 2 and red to 4

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back