The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

need some advice on ticking sound, and no boost.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pitchblacktalon

Probationary Member
Mar 18, 2007
lancaster, Pennsylvania
hey sup guys, first off i noticed that my car makes a ticking noise while at idle and while im driving as well, its not horribly loud but it noticable, i listend to it with the hood up and i can pin point if it top or bottom end. i know lifter tick is common but not familiar with how it sound only can guess it sound like a ticking kinda obvisous i guess. i guess im just asking is there anyway this could be a spun bearing?
second, i have done a boost leak test but it was kinda hurried cause its quiet fridgid in pa right now, i had a leak at the nipples on the tb were i removed the vaccum lines, so i plugged them up, the could quiet possibly be more just didnt take the time to find detail it w/ soapy water, but would this cause my car to when i accelerate boost to like 10psi and then it lacks power and you can hear air sounding like its being sucked in but it wont boost anymore? i used sea foam yesterday to see if it would clear anything up, and it def. drive better now, but when it hits boost same prob. but when i was using sea foam i seen smoke coming threw a few small cracks in my mani, would this cause my boosting problems?
and last how can i check my timing to make sure it is correct? is there anythin i can do at home w/ basic tools or will i need to have it checked out at a shop? thanks for any advice you guys can help me with.
p.s to all of the people that added post to the seam foam post, thanks for posting, i was suprised it actually works! great post guys. thanks again dan

to check timing. rotate the crank so that it is at Top Dead Center. Then make sure the marks in the center of the cams align, and the crank pulley aligns with the mark on the timing cover.

VFAQ(look at step 23)

thanks for the tip. does anyone else have any ideas bout the other problems stated above? thanks again

The ticking could be coming from a leak in your exhaust manifold, if it is cracked you will loose pressure at the turbo.

hey sup guys, first off i noticed that my car makes a ticking noise while at idle and while im driving as well, its not horribly loud but it noticable, i listend to it with the hood up and i can pin point if it top or bottom end. i know lifter tick is common but not familiar with how it sound only can guess it sound like a ticking kinda obvisous i guess. i guess im just asking is there anyway this could be a spun bearing?
second, i have done a boost leak test but it was kinda hurried cause its quiet fridgid in pa right now, i had a leak at the nipples on the tb were i removed the vaccum lines, so i plugged them up, the could quiet possibly be more just didnt take the time to find detail it w/ soapy water, but would this cause my car to when i accelerate boost to like 10psi and then it lacks power and you can hear air sounding like its being sucked in but it wont boost anymore? i used sea foam yesterday to see if it would clear anything up, and it def. drive better now, but when it hits boost same prob. but when i was using sea foam i seen smoke coming threw a few small cracks in my mani, would this cause my boosting problems?
and last how can i check my timing to make sure it is correct? is there anythin i can do at home w/ basic tools or will i need to have it checked out at a shop? thanks for any advice you guys can help me with.
p.s to all of the people that added post to the seam foam post, thanks for posting, i was suprised it actually works! great post guys. thanks again dan

If your car is lacking power at boost it could be a boost leak. Definetly put a boost leak tester on and make sure nothing is leaking. Also please check your timing. If it is off you can do some major damage. So check to make sure timing hasn't jumped on you. Good luck!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back