The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Timing light/Cam gears

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andytalon

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 27, 2005
Boston, Massachusetts
I went out tonight when it was dark and started to adjust my timing with a timing light. I noticed if I pointed it at my Adj Cam gears it showed the teath marks as if it were stopped, now my concern is it showed one tooth off. Is this accually the way my timing marks are, can somone else perform this, its making quite a concern. It looks as if I've jumped timing one tooth. I know this may not be clear but all you do is point the light at the gears and it keeps them in the exact position as if the car were off and you were doing the timing.:confused: I really just wanna know if this is anything I should be concerned about. The car runs perfectly fine.

Im almost sure if you retard the exhaust cam you wont notice a difference... which cam is off?

This is normal...I did the same thing while adjusting my base timing (it was way off) just because I was curious. If you adjust the CAS to +/- 0 TDC at the crank then use the light on the cam sprockets, they should line up dead on. If you are set to 5* advance (recommended) you will notice they appear off like you described - this is because of course, the timing is advanced

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back