The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

AWD trans for FWD 1G Turbo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OverBoostinGST

15+ Year Contributor
May 15, 2005
Roselle, Illinois
I've heard that people use awd trannys in fwd's and they hold up better. Im only going to shoot for about 325-350WHP for now and my 2nd gear syncro grinds and I cant downshift from 2nd to 1st anymore and I want to get my trans rebuilt. Should I just get a used awd trans instead of a rebuild? How would I go about putting this on? What do I have to have modified so it works on my fwd 90' eclipse. Thanks for your time.

Add a spool to the center diff and remove the vicious coupler. Would be a lot easier and cheaper to get a FWD transmission.

also eventually you will have the same problem with the awd tranny as the fwd but it will cost more to replace or rebuild with awd tranny. If it were me i would have the one you have rebuilt or buy a new one from Shep.:thumb:

95blackGsTurbo said:
Add a spool to the center diff and remove the vicious coupler. Would be a lot easier and cheaper to get a FWD transmission.

Weld the center diff, next to nothing in cost.
For those power levels with light/medium drag duty I'd stick with a rebuilt FWD tranny.

I've heard the same thing about it being possible and one of the main reasons I would like to try an AWD tranny in my FWD is because the AWD's have better gear ratio's for drag racing. (atleast for my current situation as I am turning 7K through the traps in 3rd)
http://www.vfaq.com/mods/Trannies.html
Any FWD'ers on here actually done this!?!

OverBoostinGST - Just look for a 90 AWD tranny and that should help the swap go easier if you decide to try it.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244022

Fwd trannies are weaker like you said, depending on the power your making and what your goals are you have a few options. Awd trannies are relatively cheap and easy to come across, but you might not need it. If you have any unanswered questions check us out at dogboxracing.com

you shift from 2nd to 1st? damn thats brave. most cars will not let you do that.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back