The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

The Fidanza clutch thread.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99gst_racer

Apr 5, 2003
Coloma, Michigan
OK, I did a little search and didn't come up with much of anything.

I'll be replacing my clutch this winter and I was originally just going to replace it with another ACT. But then I stumbled across the Fidanza clutches.

I'm not sure who is manufacturing them, but they look well built. They have four different kits available for us DSMers:

2.1 - Carbon Kevlar disc
3.2 - Kevlar disc
4.3 - Ceramic disc
5.4 - Sintered iron disc

From what I gathered, each kit uses the same 2300 pressure plate and each one uses a more aggressive friction material to gain more holding capacity. This is a much more efficient method than simply increasing the clamping force of the pressure plate.

These are very affordable, and I have them in stock here, so I'm really considering running the 4.3. If anyone has any input on the Fidanza clutches, or if you've been running one and have an opinion on it, please post in here.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I would really like to see more info and reviews on these clutches as well. I am very interested in picking up the 3.2.

99gst_racer said:
These are very affordable, and I have them in stock here, so I'm really considering running the 4.3. If anyone has any input on the Fidanza clutches, or if you've been running one and have an opinion on it, please post in here.

Thanks in advance.
I wish I worked somewhere where I didn't even notice a major brand carried four products for my car that we had in stock. You must work at the costco of dsm parts if thats really the case...

I too am interested in these clutches

tstkl said:
I wish I worked somewhere where I didn't even notice a major brand carried four products for my car that we had in stock. You must work at the costco of dsm parts if thats really the case...
Believe it or not, Fidanza is one of our small lines (sub $1 mill.), so I don't always notice new products/new stock as quickly as some of our other larger lines.

But I just got my new 06-07 Fidanza catalog the day before I posted this, so I started checking part numbers for the clutches (since they were not listed in the previous 05 product catalog).

I plan on calling Fidanza's tech line today and riddling them with endless amounts of questions about these, so I'll post my findings later today. I'd call now, but their tech lines are only open for 3 hours/day and it's in the afternoon.

OK, so I finally spoke with Fidanza's tech line today.

I explained to him how ACT lists their clutch kits - as far as a rating for the pressure plate, and an estimate for how much torque a particular kit can handle. And I asked how the consumer or salesman it supposed to recommend a clutch kit for a particular car with XXX torque output, without seeing approximate holding numbers.

He went on to explain how they are doing things differently with their clutches. Instead of having one street disc and three or four different levels of pressure plate, they have one "performance inspired" pressure plate and four levels of disc. They rely on the material of the disc to hold the power. He said they have been tested through and through and proven themselves many times over. They are currently running one of the 4.3 ceramic's in one of their EVO MR's. He said pedal pressure and engagement both feel good and powerful.

I then asked about life expectancy. He said for a 400 ft/lb TQ AWD DSM that sees occasional track runs with extreme clutch slipping launches, don't expect to get 50K miles out of it, but he would almost guarantee 20K without a doubt.

I'd personally be happy with getting 15K spirited miles out of my clutches.

So, with that being said, I'm going to be the guinea pig. I bought the Four Point Three today. Fidanza part # 361223. It's a 6-puck design with a sprung hub (6 springs) and ceramic pads on the pucks. I'll definitely make sure I post back with results; unfortunately, it will be about 6 months before I have my car up, out, and on the road again.

If anyone else has any experience with any of the Fidanza clutches, please post it in here.

this is why I love this site. You can always find someone who tried it first, or someone who is willing to try it first. I tried that new dejon exhaust when it was pretty new, gave dave some feedback, and I believe he has made it much better since mine was issued. Now your trying out a new clutch/pressure plate for all of us to learn about. Thanks.

I too can get these clutches. I bought a centerforce df and have like 1000 miles on it and 4launches. I also looked at the fidanza ones. I was scared and didnt get one. I looked at the choices though and they seemed pretty sweet and straight forward.

Just driving into work today. I was like I dont know if I will get another centerforce clutch. I have had no complaints but alot of people say other wise. Also my friend has an 87 civic hatch si and we boosted it with a t25. The clutch when he got the car slipped so bad the car woud not move, but anyho fast farward, he is on his third try getting the df centerforce clutch to grip. Currently it is not broke in yet but it has slipped twice.(going easy on it) His car I would guess is making twice the oem HP. So his next clutch might be a the gnarlyest thing fidanza makes. I am nervouse to see how mine turns out.

I will seriously look into a fidanza, like you said it is very well priced.

I just got a fidanza 4.3 and flywheel for my GSX. Should go in soon. Just waiting to clear some space to work. Here are the pics :)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I just got done installing the 2.1 clutch kit in my vr-4 along with a xact flywheel and i absolutly love it. The pedal feels just right, its not a heavy feel at all and the disk engages very smoothly. I would also recommend getting a lighter flywheel as i love my xact, it does help alot with quicker acceleration.

Now i just gotta figure out witch gear lube is best for my 233k OMG mile trans to help it go into gear without balking, LOL.

Anyone ever install this clutch yet? I am getting ready too. Next month or so it should be in!

Their clutches are identical to Zoom's clutches. They use the same pressure plate in all the kits as stated above. It is a 2250lb pressure plate. I have been using a Zoom stage 3 since last spring(since the rep gave it to me) It has a very nice pedal feel although I wouldn't expect to last long in an awd that is launching hard. So far I have had no issues with it my car which is fwd. I have about 30 passes on it with Hoosiers and a T61. If your making good power in an awd car I would not recommend it for longetivty reasons.

Update time.

Well, I got some driving time on the clutch. About 200 miles to be exact. So far, so good.

Unfortunately, I bent a couple rods in the engine, so the engine/tranny/clutch are back out of the car already. The clutch is not quite broken in yet, so I haven't had a chance to she how she does with holeshots yet. But so far, so good.

My 4.3 is sitting in my room, along with my lightweight flywheel. I just got back in town, and I'll be installing everything within the next week or two. Sorry, no opinions yet.

Just a quick story to tell about my experience with the 3.2 (no experience at all...)

Well as most of you would do, like me, probly waited unitl the bitter end of the stock clutch until it would slip so much it wouldn't go any where. It had been sliping for quite a while so I did my research and discovered what I thought would be the perfect combo to replace my stock setup with: Fidanza flywheel, 3.2 clutch, and some other minor accessories. This is where it starts to go wrong.....

The fidanza flywheel I ordered about 6 months before hand was for a fwd although it was advertised to fit an awd.

So I thought this is only a minor problem so I went to the local shop and ordered an awd flyweel. So I waited a day or two until it arrived and took it back to the local shop. The next day goes by and I get a phone call saying that it dosent work. So I'm thinking what could be wrong, obviously. The guy goes you have a bad pressure plate and it wouldnt engage properly which was the last thing I could possibly expect the problem to be because I bought so many replacement parts.

So now these guys are convinced everything I gave them is bad. So I go to the shop and give them the TO bearing that came with the kit because I originaly gave them a new oe one thinking the one with the kit could possibly be different. At the same time I also ordered a slave cylinder extension rod and told them this will give me some extra engagement along with some clutch tips I printed off RRE. They said that would be good and give some of the tips a try. They were also calling Fidanza about the issue and they never picked up or returned any of their phone calls along with my own.

After the ideas of what to do along with calling other companies to figure out what to do we were both tired of messing around so unfortunately they put in a brand new piece of crap stock clutch and that was the end of the almost two month fued.

On my way out after signing an almost $900 check I got the old you should have bought an american car bit and that's when I realized my car will never go back in that shop again. However the were right about the pressure plate. I could see a bunch of scaring and gashes on it from hitting the transmisson which leaves me very confused on why it didnt work if I bought all the right parts. In the end they were also wrong about the TO bearing which was actually about 1/4in. smaller in thickness than the oe one but the shop guy told me they were exactly the same.

My advice to you is to take your car to an expert not just some local shop. Hopefully in the next year or two I will take my car to slowboy and get the the bottom of this problem.

findanza makes awsome flywheels dont get me wrong but they'r clutches are just not for our cars, mine lasted about a month, my act 2900 is going on 10,000 miles now still strong, i am still using the findanza flywheel though wich again i say is awsome it works perfectly with my setup

findanza makes awsome flywheels dont get me wrong but they'r clutches are just not for our cars, mine lasted about a month, my act 2900 is going on 10,000 miles now still strong, i am still using the findanza flywheel though wich again i say is awsome it works perfectly with my setup

Which clutch did you use? Give so details to this statement as it is the 1st negative response I have seen on these. Or do you work for ACT :D

^^^ I second this. Details please!

How is your 4.3 doing, Jason?

airFS - It seems that your issue was with the shop, not the product itself. It also seems that many people that pay to have their DSM serviced, are told all sorts of things by the mechanics that usually know less about DSMs than many of the knowledgeable members of this board. What I'm trying to say is that if your experience is only relaying what an unfamiliar mechanic has told you, then that's not very solid information at all. Here-say, more or less.

It sounds like you don't really know what was wrong with your clutch (if anything at all) and why. And you can't take every mechanic's word as if it were fact. There are inexperienced and crooked mechanics everywhere. And it honestly doesn't sound like you are familiar enough with these parts either - or at least not familiar enough to be posting negative reviews of a product that you haven't even used.

Paul it is still in the box. I decided to build the motor when I pulled it. It has been a slow rebuilding process. should be in by next week :)

I hear the sintered iron disk will heat up and stick to your flywheel with a bit of abuse and you need to really step on it to pop it loose from the flywheel.

99gst_racer said:
airFS - It seems that your issue was with the shop, not the product itself. It also seems that many people that pay to have their DSM serviced, are told all sorts of things by the mechanics that usually know less about DSMs than many of the knowledgeable members of this board. What I'm trying to say is that if your experience is only relaying what an unfamiliar mechanic has told you, then that's not very solid information at all. Here-say, more or less.

Oh yeah I totaly agree. I literally wanted to punch the guy in the face because I had no idea what could be wrong with the clutch becase everything I ordered was meant for my car and the way he handled it wasnt entirely unprofessional.:mad: I think next summer I'm going to take it to slowboy and see if they have any success putting it in.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back